Rims on a Trillium - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #21

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
Well I went to my neighbor hood junk yard and bought (9) 15" Ford ranger rims for $15 each, then bought treaded studs and replaced the lug bolt with a lug stud, when I tried to put the wheels on the center hub was bigger than the center hole in the Ranger rims so I took them to a local machine shop and they milled the hole out to fit perfect and I am very pleased with the results..The machine shop charged me $5.00 per rim but only because he's a freind of mine I'll post pictures tommorrow...........
I did that to Ford alloy rims for my Mazda a few years ago but didn't chamfer the back side of the bore large enough to clear the radius on the trailer drum. As a result the wheels didn't clamp to the drum face properly and distorted the drums enough too cause the drums to overheat. Took a while to figure out what was happening.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #22

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
It was brought to my attention that I miss posted to this link...The rims I bought was 14" Ranger Wheels and "Not" 15" I'm very much disappointed that this happened because I know a lot of people on here look to this for help in redoing their trailers and misinformation is something I truly regret...I don't know why I miss printed the size back then but I did it that's for sure..."BRAIN FART" I guess.....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
It was brought to my attention that I miss posted to this link... .

Four years after you posted someone's givin' you flack by private message or something? Oh, my achin' head...

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "tough crowd", don't it?
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #24
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
It was brought to my attention that I miss posted to this link...The rims I bought was 14" Ranger Wheels and "Not" 15" I'm very much disappointed that this happened because I know a lot of people on here look to this for help in redoing their trailers and misinformation is something I truly regret...I don't know why I miss printed the size back then but I did it that's for sure..."BRAIN FART" I guess.....
Hello Randy. Long time no see. Looks like you've expanded the herd into UHauls and others. Good for you. I miss your posts. Especially the various projects when you rehabed a new to you trailer. Don't be such a stranger. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Hey Randy! It is good to hear from you. It was on a post from you that I got the idea to use 14" Ranger rims on my trailer, so you also got it right.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #26

Well guys it's been a tough year, lost my mom, a very dear friend and a brother-in-law to cancer..

Raz,
The U-Hauls were my sons idea he wanted to remodel them together a "father and son project" sell them and split the money.. Well we worked on his last summer several times got it completely sanded down painted and was putting it all back together when he found out his wife was doing a lot more than going to softball practice and games.. She had found someone else she wanted to have fun with... That really took the wind out of his sails they have 2 kids ( 5 and 7 years old) that he cherishes.. I helped with hiring a private investigator and the lawyer fees and his divorce was final on Jan. 7th.. He has moved back in with me and his mother and it going to be a long row to hoe for him and us.. The grandkids really don't understand what's happening...His U-Haul we sold still in pieces for $3200.00 and he was glad to get that as well as me the guy that bought it just had to have it..
But I'm not going to stop redoing these campers.. I've got 2 Trillium's to do so keep a eye out I'll be posting pictures and questions before long..
Old 04-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #27

Alberta
Registry
Randy, Really sorry to hear about your troubles. I understand that life can sneak up on you. For a while, I was a single parent of 9 month old twins, and a three year old. No help from my ex-wife. That was my first marriage. I now have five kids, the last two with my current wife. All the kids live with us.

It will all turn around again.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Hey Randy! It is good to hear from you. It was on a post from you that I got the idea to use 14" Ranger rims on my trailer, so you also got it right.
David I see your still adding to your "Herd" hopefully I'll get all mine completed this year.. The wife still wants the yard for something besides a camp ground or at least that's what it looks like...Are you located near a main road.. The reason I ask is that is I was wondering if you get as many people as I do stopping and wanting to buy one or just wanting to look inside them, it seems like at least once a week and when it warms up at least twice a week....But I enjoy talking to people about them and showing them the inside...
Old 04-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #29

Alberta
Registry
I am in the city of Calgary. Most of my trailers are in the back yard. No one can see them. Humpty Dumpty, (collapsed roof) did not make it in. It sits on the street in front of my house. It doesn't look so bad with the roof propped up and a tarp over it. The trailer I actually use is stuck in Ontario, with my van.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ver-60777.html

I do get the occasional looky loo. Even though Humpty Dumpty is a wreck, people are curious. Once when I was working in the trailer, some one peeked in. Boy did they look shocked to see me looking back at them.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #30

Name: Glen
Trailer: Trillium
Manitoba
Registry
aluminium wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Sarah K View Post
Has anybody ever ordered rims in Canada or can recommend any site in Canada. I see Ricks do not even offer to ship to Canada. I would like to get a nice set of rims for my 78 Trill and Canadian Tire just don't have them.

Check my photos. My rims came from Specialty Tire in Winnipeg

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...icture6056.jpg
Glen_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #31

Name: Ken
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
I put some Ford 14" rims and 195/75R14 BFG All Terrain T/A tires available. (ya, sure they're not 'trailer' tires but the load rating is 1710 lbs per tire and 65psi max) I guess I'll get some heat for that but they look pretty bada$$ and work well. I have put quite a few miles on through the Alberta and BC Rockies without a worry.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0581.jpg  
Bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:19 PM   #32

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman View Post
I put some Ford 14" rims and 195/75R14 BFG All Terrain T/A tires available. (ya, sure they're not 'trailer' tires but the load rating is 1710 lbs per tire and 65psi max) I guess I'll get some heat for that but they look pretty bada$$ and work well. I have put quite a few miles on through the Alberta and BC Rockies without a worry.
That looks great. You are probably fine with this tire and wheel combination but wheels also have a maximum pressure allowed. If the wheel Maximum pressure is less than 65 psi you have to use that pressure.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #33

Alberta
Registry
I recently bought a 1994 Ranger, so now my truck and trailer use the same wheels.

Tags
trillium