Rock guard or similar . - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2017, 08:26 AM   #1

Name: mensie
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Rock guard or similar .

Anyone sprayed rock guard or bed liner spray on the bottom 3" of your Boler?

Been thinking of doing this before I paint my boler , what kind did you use and is there such thing as paintable rock guard.
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:25 AM   #2

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
There are different thicknesses. We used the thin stuff and it did not make a difference. You want the thick stuff that has a fiber to it. Just learned that some of them are tintable. Here is a link to one. Know nothing about the product it's self.

Mask well, and remove as soon as you have finished. Most people paint first and then apply the rock guard.

https://www.semproducts.com/product/...roduct-details

Othere with more knowledge will hopefully chime in as well.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:42 AM   #3

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Easy to apply with this after painting
EZ Liner Aerosol Coating | Canadian Tire
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
rock guard

I used raptor bed liner it is clear an tintable .did the front of my bigfoot form te belt line to the bottom,and went around the conner 6",and also the cover on the lp bottles.looks good and good paint match.just sand the jelcoat with 80 grit mask and spray .drys in about 2 hr.
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:17 PM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Durabak rubber rock guard paint comes in smooth and with large sand bits in it for traction...it comes in many colors that can be intermixed to make nearly any color you want. It's pricey...and very rubbery. It's lovely stuff.

Good luck with this, it's a great idea and if we'd have had more money and energy we'd have done it when we redid our Peanut.

You can get Durabak online from the company, which will send you free sample paint chips, and also at Amazon...(Maybe at other places, I know those two offer it.)

BEST
Kai
Old 10-09-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Mensie
We average over 15000 miles per year on our Parkliner and quite a few of those include some rough gravel roads. Three years in and hurting with every rock chip I knew I also had to do something. After I saw this on a vintage Boler I picked up this Stone Stomper trampoline guard. While it may not be for everyone I can say I’m thrilled with this years results.
Attached Thumbnails
59CC4E6F-46D9-455E-8954-017775837D53.jpg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:01 PM   #7
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Oops
Forgot to mention that it assembles and removes in less than 30seconds. Stores in a small bag and does not effect mileage while also protecting the frame paint and tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
D2896621-2ECC-4244-B0E6-1D892950A493.jpg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:52 PM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Bedliner, Gravelguard, etc. work great. Can be tinted. Can be applied either before of after painting. The thicker the better.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #9

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Has anyone gone to one of the places the does vehicle wraps and asked to see if they can do a layer of 3M protective clear film over the front? I believe that it what I am going to try and do with my mine.
CasitaInFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #10

Alberta
The 3M protective film helps but isn't as protective or durable as the gravel guard or bed liner.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:41 AM   #11

Name: Jeroen
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Can anyone post some pictures of the bedliner installed? I've been thinking about doing that.
jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:35 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
whee

where do you guys come up with all these fantastic ideas you put my brain into overload!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:15 PM   #13

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
rockerguard spray on from Can Tire. Black is way thicker than the off white. Its standing up quite wellClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0630.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	112710

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0626.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	112711
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:21 AM   #14
RJM

Name: Rick
Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 25RQ
Manitoba
I tried the beige Rocker guard from Canadian Tire but didn't hold up. Had Rhino Lining applied and I'm happy with the result.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2213.jpg  
RJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:22 AM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Durabak rubber rock guard paint comes in smooth and with large sand bits in it for traction...it comes in many colors that can be intermixed to make nearly any color you want. It's pricey...and very rubbery. It's lovely stuff.

Good luck with this, it's a great idea and if we'd have had more money and energy we'd have done it when we redid our Peanut.

You can get Durabak online from the company, which will send you free sample paint chips, and also at Amazon...(Maybe at other places, I know those two offer it.)

BEST
Kai
I do want to do the inside of my wheel wells with a thicker rubber product versus the polyurethane that is used for the more typical bedliner. They had some rocks break through the shell behind the wheels and also along the lower edge parallel to the sides of the tires. There was some rock damage on the lower section of the front wall too so I may coat that surface as well. As there is no need for a traction surface such as inside a truck bed it is much better to use the smooth version to reduce surface drag versus having bumps on it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:51 PM   #16

Alberta
Rhino is a good product.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:12 AM   #17

Alberta
bed liner

When spraying on tle bed liner the lower the gun preasure the finish is courser .70 to 80 lbs at the gun will give a much finer oor smother finish..I use the tintable bed liner on my rentals. i use it on the botton it takes a long time to where that off.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:33 AM   #18

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Has anyone installed diamond plate?

I am trying to decide what to put on the lower front of my 1988 19' Bigfoot to protect from rocks. I am getting a custom diamond plate tongue box made so that I can easily access two 6 Volt batteries and the propane tanks and keep everything locked up (rather than having to remove the entire fiberglass tongue cover that is original to the trailer). My housemate has a T@B with a diamond plate rock guard on the lower front and it looks really sharp, but I hesitate to put any holes in my trailer screwing that kind of thing on - has anyone in the forum installed any kind of plastic or aluminum diamond plate as a lower front rock guard?

Leaning toward the Rhino Guard. Prefer White or Off-White, but if the Black is more durable, I would go with that, as I prefer to not have to reapply often.

Thanks!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:21 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by V'sGlassSleeper View Post
Leaning toward the Rhino Guard. Prefer White or Off-White, but if the Black is more durable, I would go with that, as I prefer to not have to reapply often.
Val, I don't think the color would make any difference to durability, just the look. Your new box will also help with any chips in the gel coat. I wouldn't put any diamond plate on the front because of the FG TTs curves although mud flaps on the tug could be a plus.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #20

Alberta
rock guard

This is tintable bed liner.
Attached Thumbnails
20171030_104258_001.jpg   20171030_103818_001.jpg  

Tags
boler