Roman shades vs curtains - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I'm starting to "do up" the interior of the Scamp. With the rainy weather a nice inside project will be new window coverings. It has HORRIBLE curtains right now that must go.

I hadn't thought about roman shades until someone here mentioned them, I believe in the thread about keeping the light out. Now my thoughts have turned towards shades, I think they will look cute and not move about like the curtains do. Right now I always take down the back and front curtains to tow because I like to be able to see through the trailer (I'm new to towing anything).

Does anyone have fabric Roman shades and either like them or hate them? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks Jackie
Kenny&Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: My wife is just finishing new curtains for our '77 Boler. As for Roman shades my question would be how would they fit a curved window??? We had to bend the new curtain rod to fit the front window!!! I replaced all the rods with new white ones and new brackets held in place with S/S 1/2 " #6 bolts and acorn nuts. The curtains are poly cotton broadcloth Pic's to follow Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I didn't think about ROMAN Shades.

I was considering ROLLER Shades behind the curtains in our Fiber Stream to block light in the early morning, and block interior viewing from outside after dark. We made curtains that we like, but the material is not a tight weave, and light shines through it.

We had Mini Blinds in the Compact Jr. that were noisy if the windows were left open to get some air. I may still consider blinds if I could get a good price on plastic ones instead of aluminum.

I'm trying for a "Layered" window treatment. Tinted film on the glass, with either blinds or roller shades behind the curtains.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:59 AM   #4

Thanks for the input.
Curtains would definitely be easier to make. Right now the existing curtains are up with metal clips and they slide and droop, standard curtains with a pocket on top would solve that. I just like the more tailored look of the roman shades, not so fluffy.

I found instructions for an easy roman shade online that attached to a 1x1 board. I was thinking that I could use a 1 inch piece of flat bar metal so it would curve and be sturdy and then set it in to the existing curtain rod holders and maybe run a screw through each bracket to hold it in place.

Hmm, off to think about it. I will be sure to take pictures of what I come up with.

Thanks Jackie
Old 03-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I used commercially made balloon shades for the Burro. They were pretty, but I did not ever raise them. They were too much work to raise, so we just opened the two big window curtains and left the balloon shades closed. They also were too long and got caught behind the seat cushions even when I kept them raised as high as they would go. Not sure if Roman shades would be a similar problem or if they could easily be adjusted.

When we get the Uhaul, I think I will see about something different from the balloon shades.

CindyL
Old 03-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 1987 17 ft Burro
Here is a picture of our curtains with tie backs. The curtains just slip over the rod via a pocket about an inch from the top. I attached tie backs to the burro with the press-on hooks and a loop on the tie back. They can be easily closed. I do think I will line them with something after this trip - probably not blackout, just a second layer of fabric. For the width of eachdrape,I doubled the width of the window.
Christi W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi Alf, instead of using the bent rigid rods I used 1/4" shock cord from CTC and the existing rod holders to hold the shock cord at the ends and in the middle of the window....our curtains are fairly light so don`t know if it would work with a heavy curtain.....pics on our webshots site....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
I made Roman Shades and am very happy with them. I have pretty lace curtains over top and raise the shades in the daytime. We installed a small block of wood with stainless screws where the rivets used to be and attached both curtains and blinds to this. The curtains using the original style brackets and the blinds by sewing a small top pocket and using vinyl coated stretch rod and screw eyes. They are pulled up with a toggle used on hood strings or the bottom of some jackets. I need to rethink the bottom this year. I need something in the bottom hem which will bend to the shape of the window when I stick it down using velcro.
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
Curtains would definitely be easier to make. Right now the existing curtains are up with metal clips and they slide and droop, standard curtains with a pocket on top would solve that. I just like the more tailored look of the roman shades, not so fluffy.
Our curtains are made of a light fabric backed by a heavier fabric that gives the curtains a nice stiffness and also keeps out light. I sewed small rings to the top which slide on cafe rods. Easy to make and no fluffiness!

Jeanne

Click image for larger version

Name:	curtains.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	6951
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:46 AM   #10

Thanks for sharing pictures--Jeanne and Steve is that orange fur on your walls!!? What fun.
I'm starting back at square one, the upholstery fabric I ordered was way off from the color showed online so I'm shopping again for window covering material.

I think I'm going to try the roman shades with the insulated fabric behind. We so far have only been fair weather campers (read July, August here in the pacific nw) and have pretty much still been chilly. I think that the shade will insulate better and not run around on the cafe rods while I'm towing.

At any rate I better get a move on with all of the projects on my list. My husband is expecting newly covered seat cushions and curtains from me--- and he expects to get a cargo door in and have the Scamp painted by our first trip end of June! So far all we have accomplished is an under cabinet CD player for him, a wine glass holder for me, and shelves in the closet for decluttering the living space. And I would really like to do the front dinette mod so I dont have to redo the cushions!

Jackie
Old 05-29-2007, 07:11 PM   #11

Registry
Talking

Quote:

I'm trying for a "Layered" window treatment. Tinted film on the glass, with <strike>either blinds or roller</strike> [b]shades behind the curtains.
The curtains we have do not do an adaquate job by themselves. They cover the window, but the weave of the cloth is light, and contrary to this photo, you can "see" thru to the outside during the day, and people can see inside after dark when the interior lights are on.

Name:	curtain_closed.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	8012

One thing I did was to put 5% Limo Dark film on our windows. During the day, you cannot see in from the outside, the glass appears black and reflective.

Name:	Hideaway_TV_antenna_closed.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	8013
Old 05-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #12

Registry
Talking

Quote:

I'm trying for a "Layered" window treatment. Tinted film on the glass, with <strike>either blinds or roller</strike> shades behind the curtains.
You can still see out from the inside, though with the film in place.

Name:	curtain_open.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	8014

When I open the window, the film becomes more apparent from the inside.

Name:	curtain_and_window_open.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	8015
Old 05-29-2007, 07:29 PM   #13

Registry
Talking

Quote:

I'm trying for a "Layered" window treatment. Tinted film on the glass, with <strike>either blinds or roller</strike> [b]shades behind the curtains.
In this photo, notice the black "Bulldog" clips at the top of the window?

Name:	curtain_open.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	8016

They are holding my REDI-SHADES open.

The next photo show the shades part way...

Name:	curtain_and_shades.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	8017

REDI-SHADES are available at Home Depot. I bought [b]one room darkening shade, 48" wide. It comes 72" long. I took a razor blade and cut it into 3 pieces approximately 48" wide and 24" long (11 pleats for each window). Then I taped a pice of aluminum bar 48" x 3/4" x 1/8" inside the bottom pleat, it acts as a weight to hold the shade down. The "Bulldog" clips hold it open, or at any point in-between. I now have 3 shades, of the correct size, for my 3 windows.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:22 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
REDI-SHADES are available at Home Depot. I bought [b]one room darkening shade, 48" wide. It comes 72" long. I took a razor blade and cut it into 3 pieces approximately 48" wide and 24" long (11 pleats for each window). Then I taped a pice of aluminum bar 48" x 3/4" x 1/8" inside the bottom pleat, it acts as a weight to hold the shade down. The "Bulldog" clips hold it open, or at any point in-between. I now have 3 shades, of the correct size, for my 3 windows.
That's interesting. I'm going to have to look at those. Shari and I were having exactly this conversation last night. I didn't think I'd ever find myself using the words "window treatment"...

I've always wondered about getting some polarized window tinting. Mounting a layer one way and then making some clip-on sheets with the polarizing going the other way. Should make the windows basically opaque... Seems like an expensive experiment.
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:15 AM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
oooops
Will start again (without the double click!)

Our solution was using a dark teal coloured stretchy velvet velor material ( like those velor leisure outfit ) and made regular curtains with a rod at the top and a line of stretch cord at the bottom attached to the walls.
When we want total blackout as seen from the outside, we draw and tuck the curtains into the cord which holds the curtain tight to the inside wall and allows absolutely no light and no images to be seen from the outside (Walmart parking lots for instance)
It also works to keep the high noon sun at bay.

I even used a large piece to act as a curtain across the bed ( like a train berth) when one of us wants to read at the table and the other of us wants to sleep in the dark.
Miserable stuff to sew however!
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #16

Registry
Talking

Somehow these photos got lost...

Name:	curtain_open_and_shades_closed.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	8044

Shows the shades being held down by the weight of the aluminum bar.
Curtains can be either open or closed.
Attached Thumbnails
curtain_and_shades_closed.jpg  
Old 05-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #17

Registry
Talking

I also put a shade on the Fantastic Fan.

Name:	fan_shade_open.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	8046

This is one I got at WalMart made for a car window.
The clips meant to go on the top edge of the glass, go on the front edge of the plastic "garnish" instead.
Attached Thumbnails
fan_shade_closed.jpg  
Old 09-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #18

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: Scamp
Tennessee
Barbara, I saw your thread about roman shades. I just made some and am trying to figure how we can mount them. Would love more details on how you did this and if you have a picture of yours? Best, Elizabeth
jessed1 is offline   Reply With Quote