Roof Fan install or not - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #15

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
We use our Fantastic fan far more than our A/C plus the fan runs on 12 VDC so if your camping without hookups it still works > I installed one on my 1999 Scamp and as Floyd says .if you install it properly it does not leak . We would not be without one . It works great for drawing moisture from the trailer IMHO

Old 09-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #16
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
On a recent trip to Alabama in June (Alabama + June = HOT), cracking a window by the bed and running the fantastic fan resulted in a trailer cooled adequately so that the A/C was not necessary. There a so many places where leaks can occur (around belly bands, windows, doors, etc., but when properly maintained, do not. And as Floyd states, sealed properly it will NOT leak. Definitely, a worthwhile addition to add a fan. Not installing a fan for fear of creating a leak IMHO would be like never towing the trailer anywhere for fear that you might get a flat tire or a bug squished on the fiberglass.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 09-12-2014, 10:40 PM   #17

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
We just got back from 4 days boondocking at Carlsbad State Beach. The weather was hot and muggy. Generators were not allowed after 8:00PM, so the Fantastic Fan was used all night to keep the air moving. The battery was down about 10-12% in the morning which took about 2 hours to re-charge with a 100w solar panel. Free cool air! The fan is a nice addition.
Russ
Old 09-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
If you augment that solar panel with the just releases Apple Lunar I-Panel it will charge up overnight as well..... They are 5.5 X 11.5" and are $872.00, I-Pad controller not included.

Question already asked:
"Is that a new I-Pad 6 in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"
Old 09-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #19
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
The on / off switch can be added after the fact. It doesn't need to be in the fan, a DC breaker on the feed to the fan would work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
When used correctly, they ROCK. The idea is to close all the windows, except for the one next to you. Then when the fan is exhausting, it feels like a breeze is always blowing in the window.
Didn't mean to hit a nerve. Just giving my opinion. Sorry, Raz
Old 09-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #20

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I had installed a Fantastic Fan in our Scamp, and now have a MaxxAir fan in our Lil Snoozy. The MaxxAir gives me more speed selections, is quieter, and can be left open during rain storms. Roof fans work great when used as David stated (only open the window that you would like the breeze to come in).
Dave & Paula
Old 09-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #21

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I had installed a Fantastic Fan in our Scamp, and now have a MaxxAir fan in our Lil Snoozy. The MaxxAir gives me more speed selections, is quieter, and can be left open during rain storms. Roof fans work great when used as David stated (only open the window that you would like the breeze to come in).
Dave & Paula
There's no question of the quality and function of the MaxxAir fan.
Their best fan can cost more than some roof mount A/C units.

The advantages of the Fantastic Fan are...
More choices from very basic to feature laden.
Lower price at all levels but especially at entry level with the same quality throughout the line.
Available flat cover for low clearance when needed.
Long history of reliability.
The comfort of proven prompt service and a history of honoring a lifetime guarantee.

MaxxAir makes a weather proof cover for the Fantastic Fan which can easily be removed for cleaning or storage.
Still the MaxxAir vent is a nice high end product.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #22

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Floyd, the Lil Snoozy factory installed the "entry line" MaxxAir for the same price as the entry level Fantastic Fan they normally use... around $200.00.
Dave & Paula
Old 09-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #23

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Thanks for all the feed back! After thinking more on the pros and cons it has now brought up another question.... what about mounting the fan on the side of the camper? Seems like that would greatly reduced the chance of a leak but still give the air flow. Any thought or opinions??
Old 09-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #24

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Floyd, the Lil Snoozy factory installed the "entry line" MaxxAir for the same price as the entry level Fantastic Fan they normally use... around $100.00.
Dave & Paula
OEM prices are arbitrary...
Try comparing them on the aftermarket.
Here are Camping World's prices on each...

Search - fantastic fan - Camping World

Search - Camping World

I do realize that the prices overlap and more features cost more money, but to add to the disparity, Fantastic Fan has a much wider availability and is more easily found at discounted prices, (based solely on my own experience).
I will admit that I have not bothered to price either brand at any trailer manufacturers parts department (except maybe Scamp).

I also recognize that price is only one of many considerations when buying any product.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #25
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Roof Fan install or not

As far as mounting a Fantastic Fan on the side of the trailer.....Heat rises. That is why they are installed on the roof, to vent out excess heat. And if it is properly installed, using butyl tape it will not leak for a long, long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #26
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodaj31
Thanks for all the feed back! After thinking more on the pros and cons it has now brought up another question.... what about mounting the fan on the side of the camper? Seems like that would greatly reduced the chance of a leak but still give the air flow. Any thought or opinions??
DannyH did it in his Scamp.

Front and back windows in and almost done.
Attached Thumbnails
image-178819361.jpg  
Old 09-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #27

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
DannyH did it in his Scamp.

Front and back windows in and almost done.
I can see one small problem...If you put the hinge at the top it likely would not leak at the campsite, but the lid would be stressed at highway speeds and may even leak.
You might put the hinge toward the front of the trailer and also put a rain guard over the top?
DannyH , could you comment on this? I see you have used the flattop(Metal?) lid.. certainly the best choice.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #28
Raz

Vermont
He hasn't been active since June. In one thread on his project I asked about fan placement and I recall he asked fantastic fan if there would be problems and they said no. I can't find that thread but for those that haven't seen this, here's the completion thread. It's very impressive.

Siesta is finally done, my 76 scamp

I believe he has since sold the trailer. Raz