Roof Fan install or not - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #1

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Roof Fan install or not

Ok gang I got an easy one today LOL My 77 Amerigo does not have a roof fan. I wonder if the benefit of one is worth cutting a hole in my roof. My biggest fear is creating a leaking roof. If i do go with a fan its going to be 12volt and be the biggest I can buy. I fugure if install the fan its sure as heck going to move some air LOL With that said I would love some feed back. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
hotrodaj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodaj31 View Post
Ok gang I got an easy one today LOL My 77 Amerigo does not have a roof fan. I wonder if the benefit of one is worth cutting a hole in my roof. My biggest fear is creating a leaking roof. If i do go with a fan its going to be 12volt and be the biggest I can buy. I fugure if install the fan its sure as heck going to move some air LOL With that said I would love some feed back. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
A properly installed fan won't leak. It is one of the best mods you could do.
Follow the instructions and enjoy the results!
Fantastic Fan is a quality product and they make one with features and prices to fit most any budget.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
We agree with Floyd

We wouldn't want to be without the Fantastic Fan in our Scamp. We use it multiple times most days. We also have AC and have used it 4 or 5 times in 3 years.

Follow Floyd's advice on the install and you will be very happy.

David
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you install a FanTastic Fan, be sure to order the roof spacers you need for the thin fiberglass roof. They are free from the factory, just call and ask.

I always install Fantastic units. Right now PPL motorhomes in texas has them on sale starting at $99. They have a huge website.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
"Properly installed" what ever that means.
You do create another leak point when ever you cut a hole in the roof.

No A/C in my trailer. I carry a Constant Breeze 12 volt box fan. I think out of around 1000 days of camping it's been used maybe 3 times. I had a MaxxAir fan but I didn't want to install it because I didn't want to put another hole in the roof. So I sold it.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
"Properly installed" what ever that means.
You do create another leak point when ever you cut a hole in the roof.

No A/C in my trailer. I carry a Constant Breeze 12 volt box fan. I think out of around 1000 days of camping it's been used maybe 3 times. I had a MaxxAir fan but I didn't want to install it because I didn't want to put another hole in the roof. So I sold it.
It means "properly installed".
I bought a brand new T-Shirt the other day, and it already had four holes in it... I would consider it defective and useless without every one of them.
Even the pocket had a hole it... which I found handy and useful.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #7

Indiana
I guess one of my concerns is my roof dips or slopes down in the middle. Not a bunch like a inch maybe 2. Is that a valid concern or is that topically in the FG world??
Old 09-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Unless your roof slopes away from the fan, you are almost guaranteed to have a leak. does water pool there now?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
I guess one of my concerns is my roof dips or slopes down in the middle. Not a bunch like a inch maybe 2. Is that a valid concern or is that topically in the FG world??
The Amerigo has a flat roof which can sag over time. If it is sever it may need to be raised and reinforced. Of course it has probably reached a fairly stable condition since it has been around a while. Even though the seal should hold wherever the vent is placed, you might be wise to choose a spot close to the end or off-center, away from the lowest spot.
Of course, cutting the new hole for the vent could present the opportunity to lift and straighten the roof.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Everyone swears by roof fans. If I put mine on full, I barely noticed a breeze. I think it's because the Trillium has so many windows that open. As such I seldom use it. When cooking it's useful and if the trailer is very hot. We have a $15 o2cool fan in the window that uses far less power. I use that instead. I recently discovered that the Maxfan that came with my trailer is always on, adding to the parasitic load draining my battery. I don't think I would order a roof fan again or if I did I'd buy one with a real on/off switch. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #11

Indiana
Well you all might think I'm crazy but I just went out and checked to roof it does NOT sag like I thought it did. We had about 3" of rain over the past 30 hours and no water. I thank you all for the feed back but wondering if the fan will help cool the camper enough to warrant a hole. I do not plan to do much cooking inside unless raining. So the near sole purpose is for cooling.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #12

Alberta
Registry
The on / off switch can be added after the fact. It doesn't need to be in the fan, a DC breaker on the feed to the fan would work.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #13

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Well you all might think I'm crazy but I just went out and checked to roof it does NOT sag like I thought it did. We had about 3" of rain over the past 30 hours and no water. I thank you all for the feed back but wondering if the fan will help cool the camper enough to warrant a hole. I do not plan to do much cooking inside unless raining. So the near sole purpose is for cooling.
When used correctly, they ROCK. The idea is to close all the windows, except for the one next to you. Then when the fan is exhausting, it feels like a breeze is always blowing in the window.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #14

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Our Maxx fan primarily is used to get hot air out of the trailer and it does an excellent job in no time. We mostly use it to avoid using the air conditioner.
It is only on if we turn it on. If we want to use it as a fan, it can be used that way also.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We use our Fantastic fan far more than our A/C plus the fan runs on 12 VDC so if your camping without hookups it still works > I installed one on my 1999 Scamp and as Floyd says .if you install it properly it does not leak . We would not be without one . It works great for drawing moisture from the trailer IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
On a recent trip to Alabama in June (Alabama + June = HOT), cracking a window by the bed and running the fantastic fan resulted in a trailer cooled adequately so that the A/C was not necessary. There a so many places where leaks can occur (around belly bands, windows, doors, etc., but when properly maintained, do not. And as Floyd states, sealed properly it will NOT leak. Definitely, a worthwhile addition to add a fan. Not installing a fan for fear of creating a leak IMHO would be like never towing the trailer anywhere for fear that you might get a flat tire or a bug squished on the fiberglass.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #17

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
We just got back from 4 days boondocking at Carlsbad State Beach. The weather was hot and muggy. Generators were not allowed after 8:00PM, so the Fantastic Fan was used all night to keep the air moving. The battery was down about 10-12% in the morning which took about 2 hours to re-charge with a 100w solar panel. Free cool air! The fan is a nice addition.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #18

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you augment that solar panel with the just releases Apple Lunar I-Panel it will charge up overnight as well..... They are 5.5 X 11.5" and are $872.00, I-Pad controller not included.

Question already asked:
"Is that a new I-Pad 6 in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:24 AM   #19
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
The on / off switch can be added after the fact. It doesn't need to be in the fan, a DC breaker on the feed to the fan would work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
When used correctly, they ROCK. The idea is to close all the windows, except for the one next to you. Then when the fan is exhausting, it feels like a breeze is always blowing in the window.
Didn't mean to hit a nerve. Just giving my opinion. Sorry, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I had installed a Fantastic Fan in our Scamp, and now have a MaxxAir fan in our Lil Snoozy. The MaxxAir gives me more speed selections, is quieter, and can be left open during rain storms. Roof fans work great when used as David stated (only open the window that you would like the breeze to come in).
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote