Roof Mounted Fiber Glass Shelf - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 Boler

I want to acquire one of these for my '70 Boler. Just extra strorage for blankets and things. I see Scamp sells them for about $134 (seems fair) and I recall there was a guy making his own and selling them through the Internet (Anyone have the link?). I am skeptical about the strngth of them and do not like the idea of more holes but I need the storage.

If anyone has one they want to sell let me know.
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #2

PS - Does the Scamp shelf fit in the Boler....I assume it would?
Old 03-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Kurt you might check with Paul Neumeister at Fibreglass RV Parts, bet he'd know. Click on the Catalog for more info.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #4

thanks, Paul is the guy I was referring to.

Called Scamp. Shelf is only $134 but shipping to Washington was about $170
Old 03-24-2008, 04:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Kurt
I made shelves for the Trillium 1300 I had.
It was simple once I figured out where I would attach them.

I used clear pine 1"x2" and 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood all just screwed together.
By making lightweight frames and skinning with thin plywood they are very strong and still light.
I was also able to run wiring through them to have new circuits all over the trailer.
Oh and it was fun too.

Ed
Attached Images

Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #6

Here are some better detailed shots of the framing.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Ed, these are very informative pictures - though a bit small =)! I was asking about this on another thread as I would really like to put lights around the table for reading books and not many of the Trilliums came with the fiberglass shelf. Did you attach them to the plywood surrounds on the window tops?
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I want to acquire one of these for my '70 Boler. Just extra strorage for blankets and things. I see Scamp sells them for about $134 (seems fair) and I recall there was a guy making his own and selling them through the Internet (Anyone have the link?). I am skeptical about the strngth of them and do not like the idea of more holes but I need the storage.

If anyone has one they want to sell let me know.
Hi Kurt... We have an origonal/optional upper dinette cabinet in our '77 Boler. The fit is not 100% even from Boler!!! My brother had 2 front / back added to his '72 Boler. The cabinet requires 6 holes around the edge 3 on the walls(each end and center above window) 3 in the roof. I replaced the poprivets in ours with S/S Bolts and weatherseal washers to avoid leaks. Yes they are very handy for clothes etc. Ours has a divider wall down the center between the two doors...kinda his n hers. I have seen Pauls as that is where my brother got his and his work is top notch!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Ed, these are very informative pictures - though a bit small =)! I was asking about this on another thread as I would really like to put lights around the table for reading books and not many of the Trilliums came with the fiberglass shelf. Did you attach them to the plywood surrounds on the window tops?
Send me your email address in a PM and I will be glad to send bigger pics.

And yes I attached them both to the Plywood window frames which I beleive only the Trill's have and to the cabinets which gave great strength.

Ed
Old 03-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0002_2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	12223

This is a picture of one of the original end cupboards in our Boler. You could cut a cardboard pattern and make your own using 1/4 or 3/8" plywood. Ours are held in place with 6" wide layers of fiberglass tape so no holes are necessary. The side shelving is metal closet racking turned down side up to create a ledge. Cut about 4" extra long and just pushed through the holes. [No clamps] Gives extra shelving without giving a closed in feeling.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #11

Thanks. I thought of making my own too but though I would stick to F/G to keep it looking stock and to hide the clutter.

I do like the idea of having wire type shelf attaching to it though.

Alf - thanks for the heads up. I have to call him, I see he does not go through email (just phone numbers). I am already using SS pan head bolts so I would be repeating the same. Only 3 in the roof is not as bad as I thought.

Any idea what he charges for them?

PS - I asked Scamp about fitting theirs in the Bolers. He says the fit is not perfect but they are close enough to mount in there.