Roof vent hardware and installation question - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp
California
Roof vent hardware and installation question

I've been searching the forums for a couple hours trying to find the answers I'm seeking, rather than repeating an old thread. But I haven't found the specific things I am curious about. The old beat up vent in my '83 16' scamp has a flange that sits on the roof and there was a plastic trim ring underneath/inside. And there were some mostly rusted away screws going up through the trim ring. I assume they threaded through the vents sheet metal flange. I haven't been able to get up top yet but I guess the screws were just sticking up into the air. My hair just brushes the ceiling and this vent doesn't protrude down into the trailer so I don't whack my head on it. From what I've seen online the various vents and particularly fans that are available look like they were made for a roof with some thickness to it, like a stick built RV. And the install kits have longish screws to go into that roof I guess. I don't know if there's a particular type of vent or fan I should be looking for, or if I just need to adapt what's available and find a way to keep it from sticking down into the trailer. Any advice?

Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
The passive vent on my Scamp fits flush to the ceiling. It sticks up on the roof about an 1" to 1-1/2" That allows the lid to sit down on the roof and the "box" of the vent prevents water intrusion. AND, it's riveted not screwed together. That's a really lame explanation. I hope you can understand what I mean

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #3

California
That's not lame at all Donna. That describes what I see on my scamp pretty well except for the rivets. I think perhaps my confusion stems from looking at vents with fans online. I guess they must be thicker (taller) to accommodate the fan, so I'm trying to understand where that extra thickness would go.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Greg, some members have made collars to mount power vents. That allows them to sit taller on the roof and the interior to sit flush. Too Fantastic Fan has an option collar for thin roof applications, but it's something you have to ask for.

Or, if it hangs down a bit... you could do a totally cool LED install like Rob's
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #5

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrregP View Post
That's not lame at all Donna. That describes what I see on my scamp pretty well except for the rivets. I think perhaps my confusion stems from looking at vents with fans online. I guess they must be thicker (taller) to accommodate the fan, so I'm trying to understand where that extra thickness would go.
The extra thickness sticks out above the roof (at least in my EggCamper) and forms a tall ridge to hold back water (like Donna explained). I would hazard a guess that older rigs would be screws and later rigs changed over to rivets. Also if ever replaced it depends on the installer as to screws or rivets.

Mine has a tall motor and it actually uses the dome of the vent lid to fit. Actually it looks like it was a plain vent with a fan added in. So I don't think a properly designed vent fan has to be any taller than a plain vent.

Jason
Old 07-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #6

California
Donna, I love the led idea! But my scalp would not thank me if I put in anything that was lower than the stock vent.

Jason, that's interesting. I notice you can get upgrade kits to turn a plain fan-tastic vent without a fan into a powered vent. So what you're saying makes sense.

I guess I mainly needed to know if there was a standard "this is the special type of vent or fan you need for a thin fiberglass roof". But it seems not. I just didn't want to order something that was all wrong. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #7

Name: Brad
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
I guess the next half question is: are there matching/compatible replacement vent covers? If I remove the screen of my '78 Boler's roof vent, and stick my head into the gap, I can almost fully stand up.

EDIT: True to my Ask First Then Research nature, a little deeper searching has found this, which looks like it could fit the bill. Will order and find out.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #8

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Brad
They show you the picture of the hinge in your link because there are at least three styles of hinges for RV vents. Just make sure your existing hinge matches what you are buying. Either visit a RV parts store or go online and some vendors explain about vent hinge configurations. (like below)
Eddie
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-vents/31-4164.htm
Old 07-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #9

Name: Brad
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Thanks, Eddie. From what I can tell in comparing the product shots to the existing vent, the mounting point hardware looks to be a match to mine. But the devil is in the details, of course. Ideally, there would have been a visible label on the trailer part itself for reference.
For now, the product is ordered. It's a relatively inexpensive gamble.