Rookie vs. 1990 Casita (Project Thread) - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #155

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
It's exciting seeing it start to come together.

Walt

Old 08-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #156

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Nope, sorry it is too late to trade temperature, it is going to climb steadily the next few days ending in the mid 80s by the weekend. We have roller coaster summer weather as the mountains to the west and the east break up hot weather systems after 4 days of it.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #157

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: 1991 16' Casita
North Carolina
A very quick update for today which is amusing at least to me... I carefully measured and fabricated a perfectly angled insert for the bed:

Which would have been great had I been installing it in a camper that was equally as perfectly angled... oops.

Yeah, I'll be working on cutting a piece that factors in the quirky angles of the camper tomorrow.

Jonathan
Old 08-12-2016, 12:18 AM   #158

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggydoink View Post
A very quick update for today which is amusing at least to me... I carefully measured and fabricated a perfectly angled insert for the bed:

Which would have been great had I been installing it in a camper that was equally as perfectly angled... oops.

Yeah, I'll be working on cutting a piece that factors in the quirky angles of the camper tomorrow.

Jonathan
My favorite for template making is the big flat sheets of cardboard that goes between layers of stuff stacked on pallets, I love it when I find that stuff in the recycling dumpster
Old 08-12-2016, 12:25 AM   #159

Name: John
Trailer: Boler
Deep South
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggydoink View Post

Jonathan
That'll buff right out!
Old 08-13-2016, 06:36 PM   #160

North Carolina
@ KC - a dumpster diver, eh? Any chance we're related?

@ Johnny - I completely cracked up when I read you post as that's what I say anytime someone damages their truck out on the trails, it's one of those sayings that never seems to cease amusing me!

OK, so an update for the past two days...

Back to the bed support, since I expect the mattress will be somewhat permanent in the back dinette area I decided to take an easier route and get the support built out of two pieces instead of one since it's almost never going to be visible so therefore doesn't really matter if it's not as obsessively perfect as I might have wanted. Here it is assembled, painted and in place:

While I was in paint mode I also finally finished the upper cabinet that installs over the dinette/bed:

Last but not least, I got a start on refurbishing and framing out the kitchen unit. I've been winging the inside part a bit as originally part of the space was consumed by the gas heater which I've since removed, but the goal was to end up with at least one shelf for pots and pans and one drawer for cooking utensils... this is the work I got done:

Another post follows as this forum apparently only allows 8 images per posts for some unknown reason.

Jonathan
Old 08-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #161

North Carolina
Today was another long (and warm!) day but I made some good progress. I finally got the cabinet over the dinette/bed reinstalled, there was naturally a bit of gap around the edges without the carpet so at some point I'll get that filled in or some trim added to make it a little less raw looking:

The kitchen unit was another major focus, I managed to work through all of the funky angles and get a storage shelf and the original utensil drawer installed:

Last project for the day was getting the roof cut to fit the new moon roof so I could forge ahead with getting the ceiling panel installed. There were about four different sealers that I had to chew through first:

Next step was getting the opening cut to the right size, which revealed a little extra work that needed to be done as the original opening had squared corners and the new one had rounded corners (you can see the small triangular gaps in each corner):

A quick test fit just for a little satisfaction:

Then another round of fiberglassing to get the corners filled in:

The ceiling will be the main focus for tomorrow, I'm really anxious to get the roof enclosed at which point I might actually be ready to take the camper out for a test journey... way too long since I've been out in the wild!

Jonathan
Old 08-13-2016, 09:44 PM   #162

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Manitoba
I can't believe how much you can get done in a day. It is inspiring to see your trailer really coming together. It won't be long before you are out enjoying it and all the more because it is your own work.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:57 AM   #163

Washington
... for your upper cabinet gap. This is what they sealed that gap with in my Sunrader RV.
Gimp and Welt - Vintage Trailer Shop
Old 08-14-2016, 05:41 PM   #164

North Carolina
First off, thanks @ Patricia and KC!

Then onto the update for the day... I had planned on getting underway on the ceiling today, although somehow ended up spending most of the day working on other things. The most notable was getting a start on the structure that will house the fridge, I was highly motivated to get to this as it had the potential to help close the gap in the door. The outer vertical wall was the key to this, and in normal circumstances it probably would have taken all of about three minutes to cut a piece the right size... but this area had a similarly Seuss-like collection of angles... and wait, don't forget to factor in 1/8" for the layer of FRP... and oh yeah, you wanted to have a cutting surface on the top, so you better figure out what you'll be using so the height is right...........

Fast forward a while and I finally had as baked a plan as I could and got started on actually working. Step one was as simple as lodging a 2x4 into place in order to get the shell to meet the contour of the door on the left side:

Once aligned I rough cut a piece of 3/4" plywood and traced the contour:

Foolishly enough I thought it would be as easy as screwing the cut piece into place and I'd be done, but the pressure required to push the shell out turned into another comedy of errors until I was finally able to get the piece installed and the gap not perfect, but dramatically improved:

I'm thinking that with some shims and tweaking the hinges I'll be able to get the gap closed in a little more, if there remains a gap then I'll probably need to increase the thickness of the shell where it meets the door.

Stay tuned!

Jonathan
Old 08-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #165

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1991 Scamp - "Ziggy"
Kentucky
Hi Jonathan!
Wow that sunroof is fabulous, super cool idea and neat way to problem solve. Your camper is really coming together. You are working your tail off! Hope you get to camp soon - it's great for stoking the fire to keep going and make yet another list of stuff to do!
Old 08-16-2016, 06:49 PM   #166

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Hope you get to camp soon - it's great for stoking the fire to keep going and make yet another list of stuff to do!
I'd be much happier if it was a bazillion degrees outside, but I've been cooped up long enough that I'm ready to just suck it up and get out there!

Short update for today - I had it in my head that I needed to get the ceiling panels in place before getting the moon roof installed, but in studying the inner bracket I realized that I could install it, then remove said inner bracket in order to trim the thickness, then reinstall it... so that exactly what I did after work today:

One area of slight concern is the fairly big dip in the roof which is at the front side of the moon roof, it was hard getting a great picture but this captures it at least to some degree:

I can't imagine water won't pool up there, the big question is whether or not it'll find a way to seep through the butyl tape seal for the moon roof... something I'll need to test. The other funny thing is that for ever hole, crack or window I get sealed in the shell, the greater the suction seems to get on the areas that are still open or have a gap when the AC unit is running. This has me second guessing my choice of AC units a bit, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see on this.

Jonathan
Old 08-16-2016, 10:49 PM   #167

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Manitoba
I have the same problem with a sag (or a number of sags,in my case) on my roof. The tarp I have over the trailer is wearing thin and rain from a thunderstorm yesterday did pool in 3 of these areas. I can certainly see that one right near the moonroof would be a concern. I did a post on the problem of roof sagging yesterday but have had no feedback, maybe you will have more luck.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:57 AM   #168

Name: bill
Trailer: 1996 Casita LD
North Carolina
Question to Jonathan: lots of butyl tape on Amazon right now. Which one did you buy and would you recommend it?

I need to reseal my windows this winter.

Thanks!

bill

Tags
casita