Rookie vs. 1990 Casita (Project Thread) - Page 16 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-28-2016, 09:26 PM   #211

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I know, RIGHT? I think... oh, I think I'll vacuum the trailer (a big stretch is to mop the floor). Whew done.
If only, Donna, I am out working on my trailer everyday but don't seem to be making much headway. I love reading this thread though, he gives me hope (and inspiration).

Old 08-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #212

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: 1991 16' Casita
North Carolina
I suspect at some point everyone will get sick of me saying this, but I am very appreciative of the kind posts, I feel very thankful to have such a wonderful group of people to share my crazy adventure with.

My progress today was impacted by my need to mow the lawn, but I was able to get the first coat of paint on the cabinet door fronts:

Since dry time is involved it will probably take me most of the week to get multiple coats slathered on both sides, if I have time I'll do more work on the new fridge unit and get a door built for the bathroom.

And this just in... a friend asked me to help guide a group on a trail ride this Saturday, so unless I chicken out, the camper will make its first trip out of the driveway since I bought it on Friday!

Jonathan

Old 08-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #213

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Wait a darned minute there Jonathan, how are all of us going to get by without our weekend dose of your remodel madness when you go off and play? Not that supervisors get to play but ...you know.

What kind of ride? mountain bikes, horsies, dirt bikes, ATVs, camels?
Old 08-29-2016, 08:53 PM   #214

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
This Jonsthan guy is pretty talented I think he made dirt bikes
from camels and duct tape of course!
Get out there and have fun with it Jonathan.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:48 AM   #215

North Carolina
Exploring and trail riding in the old ISUZU Trooper I restored is perhaps my greatest passion. No camels, but definitely duct tape at times.

Jonathan
Old 08-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #216

North Carolina
OK. I won't bore anyone with the additional layers of paint I managed to sneak in on the cabinets, but I *will* bore everyone with the hinge project for said cabinets.

The hinges were all pretty roached and rusted out and I was tempted to just toss them:

But then I figured I'd take a stab at trying to salvage them which I'm glad I did, they ended up with a clean, yet still farm fresh look which should go well with the overall Woolrich lodge-style vibe the camper is taking on:

This, however, snowballed fairly quickly as I realized that the replacement screws/bolts stood out like a sore thumb:

I entertained the thought of just letting it go, but ultimately concluded that it would drive my overly sensitive brain nuts every time I used the camper, so back out I went to........................ oh c'mon, I really don't need to say where do I?

I ended up doing a dusting with a metallic flavor of Rust-o-leum:

The price was a little excessive, but the results were well worth it:

After that ordeal I spent a little time framing out the bathroom shell in preparation for the door:

This opened up another can of worms which I'll need to deal with whenever I get to finishing off the interior of the bathroom, but that can wait until I get there.

Jonathan
Old 08-31-2016, 06:47 PM   #217

North Carolina
Quick update for today, I don't have latches so the cabinet doors are a little loose and floppy, but they're at least installed which is a step in the right direction:

I spent the rest of the short bit of time I had this evening clearing out all of the tools and materials, tomorrow after work I'll get things loaded up, then off to Uwharrie National Forest on Friday.

Jonathan
Old 08-31-2016, 08:17 PM   #218

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Have fun Jonathan, you've earned it!
Old 09-02-2016, 04:41 AM   #219

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Your project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
What Steve said. I agree completely. Great project. Great thread. THANK YOU FOR SHARING! You are helping more people than you can possibly know...
DITTO!!!
Old 09-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #220

North Carolina
I didn't chicken out today, I just came to the conclusion that dragging the camper out into the woods in the middle of a tropical storm where I wouldn't be able to enjoy any time at camp didn't make much sense. This gave me a little time to work on a few odds and ends, make yet another trip to Lowe's, then get started on framing the cabinet on the opposite wall from the kitchen:

I flip-flopped a while on how tall to make the unit, and ultimately landed on making it the same height as the kitchen unit - the top I envision will match whatever I put over the fridge so should theoretically create some consistency in terms of its look.

Despite the nasty weather I'm still off to help guide a group of trucks on a trail ride tomorrow... all 30 of them... with no idea how capable any of them are... should be interesting!

Jonathan
Old 09-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #221

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggydoink View Post
Despite the nasty weather I'm still off to help guide a group of trucks on a trail ride tomorrow... all 30 of them... with no idea how capable any of them are... should be interesting!

Jonathan
In the grand scheme of things, it won't matter, truly. Just have a ton of fun and be SAFE... truly. Make a ton of great memories along the way
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:12 PM   #222

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggydoink View Post
Jonathan
That will look a lot like herding pigs in mud but maybe even pigs would not care to get that covered in mud!
Old 09-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #223

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
That will look a lot like herding pigs in mud but maybe even pigs would not care to get that covered in mud!
Thankfully the storm blew over during the night so the day ended up being sunny and very pleasant, it was still very muddy though which always add a level of complexity to things! One of the highlights for me was the trail repair of a guy's busted tie rod, one guy cut a piece of pipe from somewhere to sleeve it, another wired three batteries up in parallel and did some welding with jumper cables, a shaft from a Hi-Lift jack got wired on and wrapped with Gorilla tape and he was good to go!

Yesterday was an equally nice day so I spent a little bit of time in the morning sanding down the initial exterior patches then hosing down the camper, in part just to get it cleaned up after weeks of collecting dust in the garage, but also to get a feel for how things would hold up to the water. No big surprise that water pooled up by the moon roof, although it showed no signs of leaks, the only issue I found was the back window on the passenger side where water seemed to be collecting fairly badly inside the window frame... long term I'll need to figure out how to deal with this, short term I'll cover the window with plastic if need be, so not a major concern.

I spent the remainder of my project time building out the cabinet across from the kitchen which still looks pretty ragged especially with the temporary plywood top, but it's at least functional which is the priority right now:

With the same mindset I also got a temporary top cut and installed over the fridge... again, looks like hell, but at least a usable surface until I have the time and money to get something more permanent picked out and installed:

One more day to tinker before heading back into the work grind... sigh... I need to play the lottery more.

Jonathan
Old 09-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #224

North Carolina
A slightly delayed update from yesterday... I spent the early part of the morning loading the Trooper up with all sorts of scraps, junk and other stuff related to the camper that I had been saving for some reason over the past few months and carting it off to the dump. While I was out I stopped by Target to check out some cool metal storage baskets my wife found online - they would allow me to keep part of the new storage unit open which is what I was hoping for, the only catch was that they were 9-1/8" inches wide, and the opening I had made for the shelves was 18"... 1/2" off... oh good grief.

Fast forward a bit, I opted to tear the cabinet partially apart and recraft it so they would fit, here's a couple pictures of the installation:

More garage cleaning consumed a decent part of the afternoon, but I was able to get all of the FRP panel pieces cut for the sides of the cabinet. The one side had to follow the contour of the shell so involved using the same cardboard techinique I've used in a few other areas:

I need to get the outlets wired before I close up the front, but I was able to get both sides attached:

I'll be doing a little more work tonight, and will post up again if I make any notable progress.

Jonathan

Tags
casita