Rookie vs. 1990 Casita (Project Thread) - Page 17 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-06-2016, 04:06 PM   #225

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
I don't see those baskets in my search. Can you give a link or item #?

Old 09-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #226

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: 1991 16' Casita
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I don't see those baskets in my search. Can you give a link or item #?
Ah, good call Walt, I should have added this to the original description. Here's the link to them:

Slide Out Utility Storage Bin 88 Main (Store Item Number (DPCI) 064-20-0670)

I also failed to mention the price - they were $11.19 + tax on sale right now, the other thing to note in case anyone might be interested in purchasing these is that at least in the two stores I went to they rang up at $17.99 (which is $2.00 above the normal price the website lists); I simply brought them to the customer service desk and showed them the webpage and they adjusted the price. There's also a 10% promo running but this is strictly if/when purchased online.

Jonathan

Old 09-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #227

North Carolina
And yet ANOTHER trip to Lowe's..............

These are the primary materials for the bathroom door. It'll be a shaker style with 4 or 5 stacked vertical panels, "my designer" suggested working in the galvanized metal which I thought was a neat idea. I should get it knocked out tomorrow with the exception of the door handle/lock, for this I'm hoping to find something vintage at the flea market over the weekend.

Jonathan
Old 09-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #228

North Carolina
I made good progress on the bathroom door today, and probably would have finished if I had gone with straight wood for the inside panels vs. the galvanized metal. Here's a shot of the chaos:

As for said galvanized metal, since it's new it's super shiny so I spent quite a while playing around with different techniques to weather it without having to wait six months for it to weather naturally outside. The one I landed on was a combination of things including an initial scrub with steel wool, followed by some toilet bowl cleaner, followed by some vinegar... I'm going to let the test piece sit overnight and see what it looks like in the morning, if it looks OK I'll get the five panel pieces underway.

Jonathan
Old 09-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #229

North Carolina
Today was a long day, and while I didn't end up with a lot of finished results, I made a ton of progress on a bunch of things which should all come together tomorrow.

One of the big projects was the bathroom door which started out with the weathering of the galvanized steel panels. I'll spare everyone the nauseating details, but in the end they ended up receiving a steel wool scouring and a bath that ultimately consisted of acidic toilet bowl cleaner, white vinegar, rice vinegar, balsamic vinegar, baking power, Clorox, salt and lemon juice:

After marinating for a few hours the pieces finally had the patina I was looking for:

Parallel to this I worked on the door structure itself, building it out and getting the first coat of paint on:

Once the steel panels had dried I got them fastened to the sheets of luan and installed:

Tomorrow I'll do a second coat of paint, install the hinges and get it installed... yep, gotta wait until then to see the final result!

In and among the door work I also got the door for the storage unit built, and got all of the FRP pieces cut for the facing. Last notable item for the day was the spare tire - I was apprehensive about having it secured through the shell as I anticipate taking the camper along some fairly rough service roads, so I decided to spend a little extra money and get a mount that secures to the back bumper:

I'm tired, my fingers ache and my back is sore... but psyched to get back at it tomorrow!

Jonathan
Old 09-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #230

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
Ha ha. That's quite a witch's brew on those panels, but they sure do look good. I hope the finish holds up.
Looking forward to tomorrow's pics.

Walt
Old 09-11-2016, 02:18 AM   #231

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Jon, not sure from the pic of your spare mount but from experience on an SOB trailer it may be a bit low for the clearance your looking for. My tire looked to be the same height as in your pic. After the first rode dip and it dragging I took it off. Didn't want to explain flat spotting the spare to anyone. I ended up carrying the spare in the tug. If the bottom of the tire was even or above the bumper it would have been fine.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:03 AM   #232

North Carolina
@ Dave - yeah, once I got the tire itself mounted I started to wonder how much clearance there would be once I got the main tires/wheels on vs. my garage rollers. The spare currently drops a bit below the bumper, although if I modify the backing plate a bit I can raise it up some... which based on your experience sounds like it would be worth me doing. Thanks for the input!

Jonathan
Old 09-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #233

Name: Rhonda
Trailer: 1976 Boler "Small Scale"
Ontario
Interesting take on patina for door

I found your approach to "weathering" the galvanized metal door panels interesting. I'm not sure how well the following would work on this but I know my husband said that many sculptors will bury metal in a pile of manure. Horse urine is also supposed to be good for patina. However, your method is likely much more user-friendly in terms of availability and odour!
Old 09-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #234

Ontario
Oops...P.S.

Had you thought of using a layer of floor wax or some other product to seal the metal and maintain the patina you like? Wax would certainly help keep the water off as well if you have a hand shower inside your bathroom.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #235

North Carolina
@ Rhonda - it's funny, when I was doing my research I came across an article which noted that urine was one of the better methods to weathering galvanized steel. I'm in the middle of suburbia with no farms nearby which would have meant................... well.............. I'm not sure if the HOA in my neighborhood would cut me any slack for........... well........... uh..............

As for my Sunday, it didn't go quite as I had planned. Here's a picture to set the scene:

The idler pulley on the right is from my wife's new (old) Cabrio which blew apart on our trip home from a few antique malls/stores in Selma, NC. The belt above is the result of the pulley blowing apart, it got bound up up in the water and power steering pump and shut the car down. No tools, and out in the middle of nowhere meant a call to AAA for a tow....... did I mention my day didn't go quite as I had planned?

On the positive side, while I didn't end up being able to do much work on the camper, I did end up finding some neat pieces for it:

The old keys I'm hoping to turn into pulls for the cabinets, the old latch/lock and the hot/cold knobs will theoretically be adapted to the bathroom door, and the license plates are... well, just cool and seemed like a neat thing to start collecting for the inside somewhere... along with this completely epic little sign:

By the time I got home it was almost time to start cooking dinner, but I was able to get a second coat of paint on the bathroom door... here's how it came out:

A Volkswagen repair and basic tool kit assembly will be the priorities for tomorrow... more updates on the camper when I'm able to make progress.

Jonathan
Old 09-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #236

Ontario
Volkswagen?

Did I read that you have a Volkswagen to repair? What model/year? I am asking as we have a 1969 Karmann Ghia that Ron bought before he retired. The car is his escape and the Boler is mine

Anyway... really enjoying the updates to your project. It is amazing what you have accomplished in a short period of time.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #237

North Carolina
Thanks Rhonda, it's been a fun project despite the summer heat, and I've really enjoyed sharing the experience here!

As for the Volkswagen, it's a 2002 Cabrio... not nearly as cool as your Karmann Ghia, but still a groovy little car. The repair should be very simple (single pulley and two belts), although it'll probably end up taking me a while as I've done almost no work on Volkswagen cars before so it'll have a bit of an added learning curve.

Jonathan
Old 09-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #238

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1991 Scamp - "Ziggy"
Kentucky
Jon; your cabinet work looks very good. Great job on the Target baskets. bill

Tags
casita