Rookie vs. 1990 Casita (Project Thread) - Page 18 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #239

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1991 Scamp - "Ziggy"
Kentucky
Love the bathroom door finish and the knick-knacks to go along with it. Fun stuff. Sounds like you need the bumper sticker that says, "Volkswagen...making mechanics for over 50 years!" I love 'em too, it's a sickness
Laura

Old 09-13-2016, 06:36 PM   #240

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: 1991 16' Casita
North Carolina
@ Bill and Laura - thanks for your kind comments!

I spent all of my after work time yesterday attending to the Cabrio. The pulley and belt replacement was pretty straightforward, while I was doing work on it I decided to take a peek at the cabin air filter as my wife had noted that it smelled a little rank inside... yeah, pretty clear why that might have been:

Today I was focused back on the camper, I worked on a number of small items, the only real picture worthy one was getting the FRP layer on the new cabinet unit:

As of now I'm scheduled to take a short overnight trip on Friday, fingers crossed the weather doesn't turn South again!

Jonathan

Old 09-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #241

Name: Ruth
Trailer: currently Shopping
Nebraska
Jonathan, good luck with all you are doing to restore the Casita. Sometimes we think we are making a good deal and find out it wasn't so much. Seeing what you have been doing in yours is a huge eye opener for me. We are looking for a small RV, perhaps a Burro, and find that out here in Nebraska they are hard to come by. We do have a 21 foot Rockwood mini-lite to sell, fiberglass, travel trailer. Have had it on market for a while and no luck. Everyone seems to be looking for something nice but a whole lot less money. Any thoughts?
Old 09-14-2016, 07:07 PM   #242

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Love following what you have done to the Casita! A lot of hard work!

Can not wait for the Big I am ready to go camping finish reveal!!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #243

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallscale View Post
Had you thought of using a layer of floor wax or some other product to seal the metal and maintain the patina you like? Wax would certainly help keep the water off as well if you have a hand shower inside your bathroom.
it is very difficult to seal a patina in place as they tend to be a powder like coating. Think about how the oxidized surface of your trailer changes when waxed
Old 09-15-2016, 07:39 AM   #244

Name: bill
Trailer: 1996 Casita LD
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthAnn View Post
Jonathan, good luck with all you are doing to restore the Casita. Sometimes we think we are making a good deal and find out it wasn't so much. Seeing what you have been doing in yours is a huge eye opener for me. We are looking for a small RV, perhaps a Burro, and find that out here in Nebraska they are hard to come by. We do have a 21 foot Rockwood mini-lite to sell, fiberglass, travel trailer. Have had it on market for a while and no luck. Everyone seems to be looking for something nice but a whole lot less money. Any thoughts?
Traditional travel trailers with fiberglass siding do not hold their value well. If you are having problems selling, it usually comes down to one of two issues.

1. Price is too high. The market decides the value of items, not sellers. Often sellers want more than what the market is willing to pay. Traditional travel trailers depreciate extremely fast. Ignore what you paid for an item, that is "sunk cost". And most buyers are looking for bargains.

2. Poor marketing. Scrutinize your ad carefully. Compare to other ads, how are your pictures and descriptions? Are you easy to contact? Are you conveniently located? Are you casting a wide enough net to reach more buyers?

A traditionally built, framed trailer with fiberglass siding is a lot different than a fiberglass "egg" style trailer. Eggs tend to hold their value much better. The Rockwood has a nice aluminum frame construction, so its a nice trailer. The fiberglass is bonded to wood panels.

There is a Rockwood forum, not sure how active it is, but you probably can get a lot more sale feedback there. The "value" of most RVs comes from using it. Selling it later can be a a humbling experience. I've been through that many times over the years.

Eggs and Airstreams tend to hold their value well. Most other trailers don't. And private party sales lack the access to financing which many buyers need. As a result, buyers will pay A LOT more to a dealer than they will to a private party.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:08 AM   #245

North Carolina
@ Carol - thanks! Said reveal is being targeted for tomorrow, I need to head out into the woods and do some trail mapping so decided to take the camper out. It's far from being finished, and I'm sure I'll get some funny looks considering the state its in, but it's theoretically functionally ready... I guess we'll find out!

@ Ruth Ann - I have very little experience with campers so don't have too much wisdom to share as it relates to your Rockwood specifically. I will say, however, that several of the things Bill said match the experience I have had over the years with some other items/hobbies where I found myself facing a gap between what I guess you might call "book value" and "reality value". I used to get really frustrated and upset about this, but have done better in recent years measuring this gap against the enjoyment the item has produced, which in some cases has had far more value than the financial gap itself. This admittedly doesn't result in cash to put back into the bank account or invest in the next item on the wishlist, but has helped me quite a bit mentally and emotionally so figured I'd share the perspective in case it's at all helpful to you as well. I wish you the best of luck!!

Jonathan
Old 09-17-2016, 09:32 AM   #246

Name: Ruth
Trailer: currently Shopping
Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Traditional travel trailers with fiberglass siding do not hold their value well. If you are having problems selling, it usually comes down to one of two issues.

1. Price is too high. The market decides the value of items, not sellers. Often sellers want more than what the market is willing to pay. Traditional travel trailers depreciate extremely fast. Ignore what you paid for an item, that is "sunk cost". And most buyers are looking for bargains.

2. Poor marketing. Scrutinize your ad carefully. Compare to other ads, how are your pictures and descriptions? Are you easy to contact? Are you conveniently located? Are you casting a wide enough net to reach more buyers?

A traditionally built, framed trailer with fiberglass siding is a lot different than a fiberglass "egg" style trailer. Eggs tend to hold their value much better. The Rockwood has a nice aluminum frame construction, so its a nice trailer. The fiberglass is bonded to wood panels.

There is a Rockwood forum, not sure how active it is, but you probably can get a lot more sale feedback there. The "value" of most RVs comes from using it. Selling it later can be a a humbling experience. I've been through that many times over the years.

Eggs and Airstreams tend to hold their value well. Most other trailers don't. And private party sales lack the access to financing which many buyers need. As a result, buyers will pay A LOT more to a dealer than they will to a private party.
Thank you for these suggestions and tips...we have done some ads that were very nice, good pictures, etc. with no results! Will check out a Rockwood forum, if we can find one. Due to health concerns, we must sell it.
Ruth Ann
Old 09-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #247

North Carolina
Yesterday I head down to Uwharrie National Forest to collect data and mixed media for some trail guides, while the camper still looks like hell I decided it was time to see how it would do out in the wild... all in all it was a smashing success!

I must admit I was a little fearful myself that the original time I towed the camper home wouldn't be a good representation as it was such a flat drive, but was pleasantly surprised to find it to be equally as light and easy as I had remembered - for the majority of the trip it was almost like it wasn't there. I forgot to take poser shot when I hit camp so didn't get to one until early evening when the light wasn't great, but here's the wonky old guy together my *other* wonky old guy settled in for the night:

So now for the not so great... first off was the fact that the crank on the front was/is basically right up against the rear spare tire - I'll either need to move the crank back, or get a different trailer hitch that pushes the camper back a bit:

@ Dave - the spare tire on the camper was indeed riding low and sure enough dragged on both the way in and out of the driveway - raising it up will be fairly easy, so on the list:

The knocking about highlighted a couple small items that I hadn't remembered to finish, like the inserts in the upper cabinet over the kitchen unit... oops:

Most distressing was the door, which after I got the camper onto it's normal "feet" went from fitting nearly perfectly to fitting horribly:

I pushed on the shell here and there to see if anything would close the gap but had no success so I'm a little uncertain what I'm going to do about this. Part of me feels like I might need to slice the door into two or three separate pieces then re-mold it in order to get it conformed properly, although that's admittedly pretty extreme... ugh, stupid #@&%-ing door!!

With all that being said, the items I'll need to figure out didn't outweigh the enjoyment of the trip overall. The day on the trails was as good for my soul as it always is:

I had a completely fire cooked dinner of coal grilled strip steak, blue cheese roasted potatoes and butter glazed green beans which was a knockout:

And a cool, peaceful shell that gave me an amazing night sleep after a long day:

Yep... a smashing success in my book.

Jonathan
Old 09-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #248

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Yup, those look like drag skids to me. Hey Jon, didn't we have a $10 bet on that?
Old 09-17-2016, 09:35 PM   #249

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1991 Scamp - "Ziggy"
Kentucky
So glad you are out in the wild having a super time and getting to reap some of the reward you so much deserve after taking this project on AND sharing it here with all of us. Good for you! Awesome post!
Old 09-18-2016, 03:33 AM   #250

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington

What fun to get out on the road with it! Shake down cruise! I used to spend overtime hours out at the flight line at Boeing fixing all the problems that showed up on those flights. There was a big crew on it in the wee hours of the morning fixing cabinet doors, bathroom doors, overhead stow bin doors, squeeks, rattles, gaps, latches not catching, etc.

The Frankenweenie trailer is coming along well despite those inevitable issues to fix. It is always that way even with the best engineering

Coming back to life, almost all stitched together
Old 09-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #251

North Carolina
I know this may sound corny, but I feel very lucky to have such a nice group of people to share this crazy adventure with. I appreciate everyone's thoughtful words and encouragement, it really means a great deal to me.

Today I was able to get a little work in on the camper in between other things that I needed to attend to. I spend a little bit of time getting the utensil drawer in the kitchen unit finished, then installed shelf liner in the drawer, shelves and under the fridge, allowing me to transfer the contents of the "kitchen bin" that I've historically packed in the back of my Trooper when taking trips to the camper:

I also got some screws "weathered" and the bathroom door finally installed:

I can't remember if I posted previously, but I went ahead and ordered a custom mattress - I spoke with the company this past Thursday and they said they should have it done and shipped out Friday (this past one) which should mean that I'll have a more domestic bed by the trip I've got coming up on the 29th!

Jonathan
Old 09-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #252

Name: Emily
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Love your camping pictures and love watching you put this camper back into service! Your projects are inspiring and everything looks so good! Thank you for sharing the journey with all of us!

Tags
casita