Rookie vs. 1990 Casita (Project Thread) - Page 19 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-24-2016, 07:02 AM   #253

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: 1991 16' Casita
North Carolina
@ Emily - thanks for your kind post, it's been really fun to share the adventure!

I've been spending an hour or so after work each night on the camper, it's mostly been smaller detail-type stuff like painting the interior of the new cabinet/storage unit, building another cabinet door, getting shelf liner installed, etc. so nothing all that note or picture worthy. Yesterday the mattress from Magic Sleeper arrived which was exciting. It fits perfectly and is super comfortable, so I feel really pleased with the decision to spend the money on it:

I've got a bunch of items to work on today, one of the more crucial is getting the camper back on its regular "feet" so I can try and figure out how to correct the gap that emerged... fingers crossed for a simple fix!

Jonathan

Old 09-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #254

Name: Emily
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
LOVE the mattress and the fit!! Bookmarking the link so that I can order one, too!

Old 09-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #255

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
Hmmm. It does look nice. Mind repeating that link? and how much was it?

Walt
Old 09-24-2016, 04:38 PM   #256

North Carolina
Here's a direct link:

Scamp Camper Mattress 45 x 77

With the shipping it was $318... yeah, it hurt a little.

Jonathan
Old 09-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #257

SW Virginia
Yeah, but I see a lot of folks on the Casita Forum buying from Southern Mattress at $6-700 a pop. Geez.
Thanks.

So the Scamp mattress fits the 16' Casita well. Good to know.

Walt
Old 09-24-2016, 06:36 PM   #258

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Yeah, but I see a lot of folks on the Casita Forum buying from Southern Mattress at $6-700 a pop. Geez.
Holy smokes!! I felt guilty for hours after clicking the "order" button on the Magic Sleeper because it seemed like such an extravagant purchase, I'd probably need to be hospitalized if I bought one of those! LOL!!

Today ended up being extremely hot again, almost 90 in late September... are you kidding me?! As such, I decided to stall on the door project until tomorrow as it's scheduled to be cooler and work on other things. One project that came somewhat out of left field was refurbishing the kitchen stove which was in pretty sorry condition:

Fast forward through sanding, brushing, treating, painting/sealing and such, it ended up coming out in pretty decent shape - the only exterior thing left to do is touch up a few spots on the white enamel:

This project also resulted in some hunting around in nearby stores for the fittings needed to actually make it work. It originally was fed by the full-size propane tank, I've decided to modify it to use 1 lb. tanks which I'll refill as needed to save some space and weight. In the end no one had what I needed so I had to order things through Amazon, the pieces should be here Monday thanks to Amazon Prime so there's a chance I'll be able to get things finished before the upcoming trip on Thursday.

More updates soon!

Jonathan
Old 09-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #259

SW Virginia
Wow, looks gorgeous. Like new. But why am I surprised by now?
But one pound cylinders? I can't stand that waste. Even for outside cooking I use a 5lb, refillable tank.

Walt
Old 09-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #260

North Carolina
Today I was busy doing a whole bunch of different things so didn't end with too much time to spend on the camper. As such, I decided to ignore the door gap and focus on a couple other items - one was modifying the spare tire holder which theoretically should provide more clearance:

The other was finishing off the last cabinet door for the new storage unit and installing it:

It still need some patch work and paint, but getting pretty close to being done! The last bit of time I had was spent at Lowe's finding a few pieces that will be needed to make the stove functional, that's on deck for tomorrow.

Jonathan
Old 09-25-2016, 07:21 PM   #261

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Manitoba
One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the cleanliness and tidiness of the interior of your trailer. Of course,cthis shows in the finished results.
I, on the other hand, have piles of wood and debris outside and my floor is splotched with paint and glue and often footprints. A soory sight by comparison.
So much to admire about your project. I look forward to each installment.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #262

North Carolina
The past couple weeks have been crazy, I'm finally at a point where I'm able to get this thread updated. A few days after my last post I packed up the camper and head out on a short trip to work on trail mapping project and attend one day of an event called the American Adventurist Appalachian Rendezvous. The poor camper looked just as sketchy the previous trip:

But I didn't encounter any new issues (whew!) and overall it served as a great home for a couple days. Crazy trails:

Fire-roasted dinners:

All in all another wonderful trip!

Today I was back to work, the highlights included getting the spare tire holder modified so it doesn't drag:

Getting the inside stove finally functional:

And getting some initial framing done for a storage cabinet just inside the front door:

I had originally envisioned filling this space in with shelves floor to ceiling, but opted to go with just a partial set of shelves which will leave space to hang some coats and keep the interior a little more open... or less claustrophobic depending on which way you want to look at it.

More updates soon!

Jonathan
Old 10-08-2016, 05:45 PM   #263

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
A low counter surface below where coats hang is not a bad idea. At least you can put a drip catch pan there for those soggy camping weekends.

Of course I am thinking of that since I just got back from walking the dogs in the rain. No other choice but getting wet as it is not going to clear up today.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:58 PM   #264

North Carolina
I took a short trip to the beach with my family this past week, today was the first day I was able to get back to work on the camper. I made some decent progress on the storage cabinet inside the front door:

I still need to patch, paint, install the top and build/install a door, but it's coming along. While I was in fiberglass mode, I got the facing installed on the additional kitchen unit:

This too will need patching and painting, but it's getting there.

I also made some good progress on fixing the door gap. After getting the camper into the driveway and on its wheels I fussed around a bit to determine what I needed to do - ultimately I ended up adding some shims to the additional kitchen unit to push the shell out, then made some additional kerf cuts in the door in order to crank it down into shape:

There are still a couple spots that have a gap that's around 1/8th of an inch which I'll need to figure out how to close, but it's considerably better than it was before!

Last but not least, I spent some time working on a counter top for the additional kitchen unit. I didn't luck into anything great at the local ReStore, and couldn't stomach the thought of spending almost $100 on a butcher block slab, so decided to make a butcher block style counter from scratch. In order to save some weight I opted to use pine which means I won't be able to cut directly on it, but theoretically it should look decent after some stain and not a big deal just to use a cutting board when needed:

If this ends up coming out OK I'll do the same thing for the tops of the two new storage units I've added.

Lots left to do, I'll post up as I make more progress!

Jonathan
Old 10-18-2016, 06:23 PM   #265

North Carolina
Quick update on the camper, I did something stupid and had to reconstruct part of the kitchen counter top which set me back a bit, but I managed to get it sanded and stained this evening. Here's a shot with it temporarily in place:

I like the way it looks so I plan on making similar ones for the other cabinets, the only difference being that I'll probably end up using 1x2s vs. 2x2s so the tops on these are not quite as hefty looking.

Jonathan
Old 10-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #266

Name: Valerie
Trailer: 2016 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Mississippi
Thanks so much for continuing to share your project with such great photos and descriptions of what you're doing. Gosh you're talented!

Tags
casita