Rookie vs. 1990 Casita (Project Thread) - Page 21 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #281

Trailer: Scamp
Tennessee
Johnathan,
I just read thru this entire build thread, and I just want to say YOU ROCK!!! Very inspiring.
Darrin

Old 11-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #282

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: 1991 16' Casita
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin S View Post
Johnathan,
I just read thru this entire build thread, and I just want to say YOU ROCK!!! Very inspiring.
Thank you Darrin, that's very kind of you to say.

Over the past several weeks I've been focused on various outdoor trips so haven't had a chance to make any progress, although I've got a small list of items to attend to based on my use:
  • A different gap appeared in the %#&@ door when I got the camper back onto its wheels
  • Some rain one night led to the discovery of my first small leak in one of the windows
  • The alignment of a few of the cabinet latches shifted once the camper was on its wheels

With the temperatures being more reasonable I'll likely shift my focus to the exterior for a while since the interior is in decent shape... stay tuned!

Jonathan

Old 12-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #283

North Carolina
I haven't spent a ton of time working on the camper over the past while, in part because I reached the point where it became functional so I therefore decided to ease off the throttle and actually spend time enjoying it along with some other trips and adventures. Over the Thanksgiving holiday I made a little more progress on the paint removal, which isn't improving its appearance much, but at least not having the black will reduce the oven affect when it's out in the sun:

I also had round three (or maybe it's four now?) on the door which is truly becoming my nemesis. I got it back on its wheels and spent a few hours making cuts in the door to reshape it along with a few other adjustments, including fabricating and installing a new threshold to replace the original one which was in pretty sorry shape:

It was nearly perfect (seemingly again) when I was done, took it off its wheels for storage in the garage, put it back on its wheels for a short overnight trip on Friday only to find the gap had returned with a vengeance... ugh!!!

I'm assuming that whatever dynamics that are happening as the weight shifts between the axles to the frame while in storage are causing the swings in fit, the decision now is whether I revisit how it rests while in storage (which might result in the short-term elimination of the drum brakes) or just live with it until I'm in a home where it can stay on it's wheels all the time. Torching it is another option that runs through my mind as well, but fortunately that thought tends to pass fairly quickly.

Jonathan
Old 12-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #284

Name: Al
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Great thread. I love projects also but this one may have had me tossing on the kerosene, especially the problems with the door. Look forward to the final product!
Old 12-11-2016, 08:57 PM   #285

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
As I recall you are still missing an upright support near the door, that will help constrain movement. Constraint of movement is the key. I suspect the door itself is much more stable than the shell. So start with stabilizing the shell in the vertical area around the door. I did suggest a hat shaped channel structure fabricated with fiberglass cloth over a filler such as plywood. On on each side of the door opening will stabilize the shell. It is not the width of the stringer that provided the stiffening so much as it is the depth of the stringer. A long leg projecting out from the wall is the key to gaining maximum strength to constrain movement in that area.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #286

Trailer: Casita, 1996 LD
16' Door

I've got a '96 16' LD. Yes, the door is an issue. I've tightened up the hinges, installed a new striker, which helps a bit and I've used closed cell foam tape at times on the bottom to address my gap. The door opening is subject to a lot of stress......I've repair through-the-shell cracks at the top of the shell door opening at the upper corners. My rig came that way used, it's not a huge structural problem, but not desired. It took several tries of repair, but what was necessary was grinding out the cracks and widening the area with a shallow depression, multiple layers of fiberglass and epoxy....both on the interior and exterior. Then sanding, priming and painting on the exterior. I really had to beef up those areas. After 2K miles, it's holding.
As others have suggested, beefing up the trailer frame with some welded angle iron in that area may help some.

Good luck
Old 12-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #287

16' door

Image of crack. Both sides have cracks in same locations.
Attached Thumbnails
Casita door 2.jpg  
Old 12-12-2016, 03:29 PM   #288

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Seems to be a common problem. My '94 16' had similar cracks around the top of the door.
Fortunately there's a fiberglass magician not too far from here and he did an excellent repair job. Casita really should look into reinforcing the frame around those "airplane" doors.

Walt
Old 12-13-2016, 07:31 AM   #289

North Carolina
Thanks for the continued encouragement everyone! I will get the camper back on its "feet" and play around with the vertical support(s) as suggested, this wonky old egg hasn't beaten me yet!

Jonathan
Old 12-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #290

North Carolina
My work schedule has been fairly light over the past few days, so I was able to spend a little time working on the camper. As silly as it might sound, one of the big things that was bothering me was the drawer in the kitchen. It didn't slide in and out well, it would never set flush... all in all it just felt like a hack job and it's bugged me on every trip I've taken thus far. While I liked the notion of retaining the original plastic drawer, it simply wasn't cutting it as a solid foundation so I decided to replace it with a new drawer made from scratch:

I replaced my cheap aluminum rails with drawer glides and now have a drawer that I'm actually happy with.

Another small project that I knocked off the list was getting finished floor installed in the rear section of the camper:

Still lots left to do, stay tuned!

Jonathan
Old 12-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #291

Bravo

Nice work, pilgrim.

I also built a "from scratch"drawer there as my cheesy plastic one was kaput. I cheated some with using flat 1/2" maple ply for the drawer front, instead of your frame and panel fronts. I was looking to cut weight and stay simple, but it's all a matter of taste & fashion. I also replaced ALL the stock Casita MDF panels in the Casita with banded 1/2" maple plywood. Probably knocked off 50 lbs of weight, plus lightened up things visually with the maple look. I'm a sucker for cherry wood and used a few accent pieces.

Keep on plugging away.......your efforts will be rewarded.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0626 (Copy).JPG   Lefty.jpg  

Old 12-23-2016, 06:17 AM   #292

North Carolina
Thanks Tom! The woodwork in yours looks amazing, I hope you're proud of the work you've done!

The canopy setup you have caught my eye as well. Any details you'd be willing to share?

Jonathan
Old 12-23-2016, 08:14 AM   #293

Awning

The awning is a Kelty brand "Carport" that was designed to attach to the roof rails of a mini-van and provide shelter at the side doors. I used it for car camping and then for the older Casita I bought. It attaches to the trailer with Velcro straps to 2 D-rings that are attached to the roof, using old awning hole locations. It is a useful addition as my old trailer did not come with an awning, but had one at one time. Kelty still sells some variations of this awning/shelter. Maybe one comes up on ebay occasionally. My model is no longer available. Another view is attached. The shelter is tension pole supported like a tent, has a closable screen window and side "wings" to shed sun or rain or they can be rolled up and stowed in place. With poles, it could be lifted horizontal for I guess more shade.

2nd photo shows more maple plywood doors. Tools are scattered during some winter project work.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1078 (Copy).jpg   IMG_0630 (Copy).JPG  

Old 12-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #294

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I like the look a lot. And one quibble I have with Casita is the cheap drawer rails they use. Kudos for replacing those.

Walt

Tags
casita