Rookie vs. 1990 Casita (Project Thread) - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-22-2016, 12:00 PM   #57

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: 1991 16' Casita
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Why did you paint that surface that is inside of the trailer with Kilz? What benefit did that step provide? I am scratching my head over that one .
It was an extra step I decided to take to minimize the chance of lingering mold and mildew smells... which I suppose some might argue wasn't necessary, although for the cost of a gallon (under $20) and 20 minutes of work it seemed worth me doing. My plan at this stage is to get the interior walls/ceiling smooth and just paint them, so I'll be able to use the remainder of the gallon as the primer.

Jonathan

Old 06-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #58

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Kilz

Kilz paint kills mold and prevents its return.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:27 PM   #59

North Carolina
Yesterday and today were spent mostly on last minute prep and research before diving into the sub-floor. Just as I was about to drop the shell back onto the frame I realized that while I had patched the inside of the collapsed four corners, the outside needed attention too... the number of items I'm trying to process on this project obviously overcame my grasp on the obvious. I'll leave the aesthetic work for later, but got the foundational repairs done - here's a representative sample:

It then dawned on me that I hadn't cleaned, prepped and painted the two metal pieces that the front and rear of the shell rested on so attended to these:

Last to think through was my selection of sub-floor thickness which I'm glad I did, originally I had thought I'd use 19/32" but after doing some measurement and math I realized I really needed to use 15/32" in order to be able to accommodate the vinyl tile that I picked out for the top layer. What a difference 0.125 inches can make!

With any luck I'll get the sub-floor in over the next day or two, at which point I plan on focusing on the exterior running lights working so I can get the camper inspected, titled and registered.

Stay tuned!

Jonathan
Old 06-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #60

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
This is an amazing project, thanks for sharing, you have us all on the edge of our seats!
Old 06-23-2016, 11:04 PM   #61

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Maybe as a leveling, smoothing compound? Sure looks effective from here.

Walt
plywood will be installed over it.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #62

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowman View Post
This is an amazing project, thanks for sharing, you have us all on the edge of our seats!
With there being so much foreign territory in this project for me, I'm right on the edge there with you! LOL!!

Jonathan
Old 06-24-2016, 06:45 PM   #63

North Carolina
I took the day off work and spent the morning scrounging some parts for my wife's new (old) car, then the remainder of the day working on the camper. I got the shell lowered back down onto the frame, then focused on getting the sub-floor pieces cut. I used the technique Lanny had posted up to get the right curves in the front and rear of the camper, basically just a matter of laying out some cardboard strips to follow the curves:

Then tracing the line onto the plywood:

A few cuts with a circular saw and jigsaw and done!

The process takes a while, but I did the same thing to get the piece cut for the rear:

The final two pieces were just straight cuts so went a little quicker, by the end of the day I had everything cut and fit:

Last step for the day was to remove all of the pieces so I could get a coat of water treatment on, tomorrow I'll get the pieces put back in and get everything locked into the frame.

Jonathan
Old 06-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #64

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
Whew. A bit painstaking, but another day of major progress. Looks great and with the Kils underlayment, as stable as it gets. Another coat of water treatment maybe?

Walt
Old 06-24-2016, 07:05 PM   #65
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggydoink View Post
My hope is that I'll be able to find a very low-profile vent or skylight to replace the original vent, if not I may need to sacrifice this and just fill it in... to be seen.

Jonathan
Nah, anybody doing this level of salvation needs a reward. Send me an email through my website when you're ready and I can probably fabricate a new cover for you (the plastic part that is.) If you can sketch it I can probably make it.

Price is FREE but you pay the shipping.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #66

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
Well done Charlie. Another example of what great communities we have both here and on casitaforum.com.
In my '80s and I don't think I've ever experienced such supportive groups.

Walt
Old 06-24-2016, 08:38 PM   #67
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Some projects look overwhelming at first, but you nibble off a bit at a time. I bought a 1902 abandoned farmhouse and 36 years later it looks brand new!

Lot to be said for "sweat equity" and the self-satisfaction from it.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:11 AM   #68

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Send me an email through my website when you're ready and I can probably fabricate a new cover for you (the plastic part that is.)
That's an extremely generous offer Charlie, thank you!!

Jonathan
Old 06-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #69
Rix

Name: Rick
Trailer: sunrader
Washington
I'm kinda feeling your pain with my current project. Live and learn I guess.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #70

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
Kilz paint kills mold and prevents its return.
The Kilz company says it does not kill mold on the substrate it is applied to and it will not prevent that mold from regrowth.

My motivation in asking the question was not criticism of what he has done, I do think he got the mold killed and also removed with the pressure washing and by applying a mold killer solution and complete rinsing. It is only that I wanted to be sure people did not err in thinking that Kilz was going to kill existing mold on the surface it is applied to or prevent mold regrowth on that substrate. There are lots of misconceptions about what Kilz does. Mostly they get mislead because of the name of the product. Remember that names are designed to draw you into buying a product but that does not mean the product does what you think it might. The original Kilz product was lacquer based (they still make some of the Kilz products with a lacquer base). Lacquer is good for preventing stain bleed through. Therefore the name of Kilz was given to it for its ability as a stain bleed through killer. Later on they added mildewcide into some versions of it but it has never been marketed as a product for killing mold because it does not do that. The mildewcide protects the primer itself from growing mold, it is not protecting anything else but itself.

Fiberglass needs no additional mold protection because it is inherently protected.

Fiberglass is not porous so mold does not grow into it and it also does not absorb odors. So therefore it did not need to be primed as a remedial measure. The mold was growing in the dirt that was sitting on the surface of the fiberglass. Once that surface had the moldy dirt removed from it the task was completed with no further labor, materials or expense required.

Tags
casita