Originally Posted by WaltP
I think it looks great. Another nice example of problem solving.
Thanks Walt... as I've said, I'm flying by the seat of my pants, but it's a fun ride!!
Between yesterday and today I made a small bit of progress. Patching the hole for the AC ended up being a more involved process than I expected as I'm running low on fiberglass pieces so had to make the patch out of a few pieces vs. one - it looked as funky as all the other patches when I did them:
And looks even funkier now:
Although I'm not overly concerned though as a) I'm sure I'll be able to make it look better with some sanding and b) I'm going to cover it with the original metal grate so theoretically it won't be visible once I'm done.
I also got the window installed in the door which was a fun exercise with the butyl tape being so sticky thanks to the continued North Carolina heat:
And last item for today was working on the door latch. The owner had lost the keys, so I decided to just replace the exterior handle/lock as it was less money and easier than taking the original one to a locksmith, one small problem is that the square shaft is a tiny bit larger, I should be able to grind this down easily though:
The other thing I noticed is that there's a gap between the latch and strike plate than seems larger than it should be:
I ordered a replacement door seal from the Casita
factory which should be here in a day or two, I'll get this installed first to see what the gap ends up being and will devise some sort of solution to get the latch tight if needed.
More updates soon!