Rookie vs. 1990 Casita (Project Thread) - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #99

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
I think it looks great. Another nice example of problem solving.

Walt

Old 07-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #100

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: 1991 16' Casita
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I think it looks great. Another nice example of problem solving.
Thanks Walt... as I've said, I'm flying by the seat of my pants, but it's a fun ride!!

Between yesterday and today I made a small bit of progress. Patching the hole for the AC ended up being a more involved process than I expected as I'm running low on fiberglass pieces so had to make the patch out of a few pieces vs. one - it looked as funky as all the other patches when I did them:

And looks even funkier now:

Although I'm not overly concerned though as a) I'm sure I'll be able to make it look better with some sanding and b) I'm going to cover it with the original metal grate so theoretically it won't be visible once I'm done.

I also got the window installed in the door which was a fun exercise with the butyl tape being so sticky thanks to the continued North Carolina heat:

And last item for today was working on the door latch. The owner had lost the keys, so I decided to just replace the exterior handle/lock as it was less money and easier than taking the original one to a locksmith, one small problem is that the square shaft is a tiny bit larger, I should be able to grind this down easily though:

The other thing I noticed is that there's a gap between the latch and strike plate than seems larger than it should be:

I ordered a replacement door seal from the Casita factory which should be here in a day or two, I'll get this installed first to see what the gap ends up being and will devise some sort of solution to get the latch tight if needed.

More updates soon!

Jonathan

Old 07-14-2016, 07:01 PM   #101

North Carolina
I knocked a few small things off my list after work today. I got a new, relocated electrical inlet installed along with the original fresh water inlet - which I don't think I'll use, but figured I'd install in case I change my mind:

I also got the new door handle/lock shaved down so it fit:

Not huge items, but all keeping me heading in a forward direction!

Jonathan
Old 07-14-2016, 08:30 PM   #102

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Just one quick tip, I keep my butyl tape in the fridge and when working in the summer time I only bring it out right when I need it. It is so much easier to apply when it is not overly soft and sticky.

The people at my local RV store told me to always keep it stored in a zip lock bag in the fridge when not in use. That keeps the edges of the tape from getting dried out. Seems to work, I still have tape on rolls that is 3 years old and is a fresh as when I bought it.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:55 AM   #103

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Just one quick tip, I keep my butyl tape in the fridge and when working in the summer time I only bring it out right when I need it.
Add that to my very long "why didn't I think of that?" list! LOL!! Fantastic suggestion, thank you!!

Jonathan
Old 07-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #104

North Carolina
I hit a couple major milestones today... the first one is pretty self-explanatory:

This may seem like a trivial thing, but the camper came without a title so it represents a decent amount of time and energy to work through... I'll post up some details shortly in case they're helpful to someone else.

The second is that unless I'm overlooking something, I got the last of the major holes patched in the shell aside from the roof vent hole which I'm planning on covering temporarily until I decide what I want to do with that - these are the original water inlet and electrical inlet which was really just a fancy hole to stuff a heavy extension cord through, both of which I've since relocated to the back passenger side:

Last on the list for today was working on the dinette bench supports - I got the second one removed, and used the originals as templates for replacement ones:

I slathered on a layer of Liquid Nails and got the driver side in place, tomorrow I'll get the passenger side done:

The only minor setback was related to the window glazing beads, I realized fairly quickly after I started to install some that it wasn't quite right... upon closer inspection I determined it was a little too small:

This is completely my fault as what I ordered was a bit of an educated guess, I've contacted Interstate RV so they can help me come up with a better match.

More updates soon!

Jonathan
Old 07-15-2016, 10:44 PM   #105

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Manitoba
Painting with Kilz

I don't want to resurrect the discussion about the purpose of using the primer to paint the bottom of the shell except to make the point that it is an understandable, if not necessary, step. Having also gutted a trailer in which a lot of gross things lurked behind the walls and especially the floor, I also wanted to paint any exposed shell with a clean white coat to do away with dark corners in which unpleasantness could again fester and to satisfy myself that the trailer was at last clean and the rebuild could begin. I can imagine that it was very satisfying and I may do it still.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:25 PM   #106

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
I don't want to resurrect the discussion about the purpose of using the primer to paint the bottom of the shell except to make the point that it is an understandable, if not necessary, step. Having also gutted a trailer in which a lot of gross things lurked behind the walls and especially the floor, I also wanted to paint any exposed shell with a clean white coat to do away with dark corners in which unpleasantness could again fester and to satisfy myself that the trailer was at last clean and the rebuild could begin. I can imagine that it was very satisfying and I may do it still.
I think most people have understandable emotional reactions to seeing mold and other types of growths in something that is their space even when it is not toxic mold. It is much akin to the feeling of violation one gets when someone breaks into your home.

As far as putting Kilz on goes...no harm no foul unless a situation occurs where you want or need to do a fiberglass renovation in the future or want to secure something to that surface with epoxy or some other kind of structural adhesive. At which point in time you will be wanting to strip that primer off the surface so you can get a good bond to the fiberglass shell.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:57 PM   #107

Manitoba
Point taken, a good reason not to do it.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:17 AM   #108

North Carolina
"Dark corners" is a great way to put it, I'll completely admit that the paint was in part to provide me with that emotional sense of cleanliness that you mentioned, since Kilz was basically the same price as any other interior primer I figured it made sense to use this as at least theoretically it had some benefits... or at least so says their marketing department.

Jonathan
Old 07-17-2016, 06:56 PM   #109

North Carolina
The camper is a little like a jigsaw puzzle at the moment, as I get ready to do certain things I realize there are other things that should probably be done first, so the day was spent taking steps backward, forward, sideways... and I think forward overall.

Before getting the door mounted in a more permanent fashion I decided it would be worth stripping the black paint off - while I knew the shell wouldn't end up looking good until I have the opportunity to repaint it, I figured it was better than having it black which was just wrong for so many reasons. It took some time and patience, but I ended up getting it in fairly decent shape at least for the immediate:

Likewise, before I installed the passenger side dinette bench support I took advantage of the extra space to get the interior electrical hook up in place - which right now is comprised of a big, bad plug that I can plug a power strip and in turn other stuff into:

I also spent time removing, refurbishing and reinstalling the rain gutter over the door (which yet again involved more paint stripping prior to doing this) and wiring, then finishing off the external AC outlets... and more paint stripping... which left the camper looking like this for today:

I'm finding it fairly amusing as for all my work the camper seems to be getting uglier than when I started, but figure at some point things will turn the corner right?!

Jonathan
Old 07-17-2016, 07:44 PM   #110

Manitoba
Ditto

My trailer is the same, what with the outside patches, missing door and inside frame half missing. I look at the empty shell and think "what did I actually pay that money for?"
But at least you have a lovely clean (and white) floor
Old 07-17-2016, 09:25 PM   #111

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
We hit that magic point of things looking better last week. After months of things looking progressively worse the more we worked on it. Like when those kids do a Rubics cube, sort of.

Our restoration wasn't as extensive as yours, but I think that aspect is the same in all of these projects.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:38 PM   #112

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: Burro
California
I know what you mean by everything looking worse. Today I cleaned off a bit of overspray from a PO trailer painting just to have a little something that looked better.
As someone watching from afar you have done a lot of nice looking stuff too.
The windows look really good and that axle if fabulous.

Your Casita reminds me of Partridge family bus.

Tags
casita