Rookie vs. 1990 Casita (Project Thread) - Page 17 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2017, 05:40 PM   #321

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: 1991 16' Casita
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by raddar View Post
Hey! How did you get the polypro and fabric to stick to the wall? I have the same
Issue of having no liner. Thanks!
Hi Linda. I'm sorry for my very delayed reply, I've been stretched thin with work the past little while so out of rhythm with checking in here on the forum.

The fabric itself I secured to the insulation pieces with a high test spray adhesive. The finished pieces themselves ended up fitting into the rear space fairly well just due to pressure - i.e: the ends butted up to the cabinet unit on either side and with each other in the middle, thus pressing them into shape. I did, however, reinforce them in a few spots with... you ready? Small, rolled up strip of Gorilla tape! LOL!! I'll admit it's a little ghetto, but it's what I had on hand and it worked well, so in the end I'm OK with it.

Jonathan
shaggydoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #322

North Carolina
One other quick update while I'm here. While the casters I mounted on the back bumper technically worked, they introduced some issues as I learned. I got a bee in my bonnet a couple weekends ago and after spending a ridiculous amount of time staring at the camper waiting for a solution to magically present itself I decided to try popping car tire dollies under the axle as it had been suggested a few times.

My optimism was dashed fairly quickly, the small casters got stuck on every crack in the garage, and while it was nice to be able to push the camper side to side, it had a tendency to slide side to side on its own whenever I tried to move it forward or backward... which continued to be nearly impossible to do by hand... bleck.

The following weekend resulted in another 45 minutes of blank stare until a new idea finally emerged. Another trip to Lowe's and about 20 minutes resulted in the following:

I got second one fabricated for the other side and relatively pleased with the results. The camper rolled better than when it was on the car tire dollies, the height was spot on, and they were a piece of cake to pop on. The only issue was that they didn't stay in position very well, which made sense as they were not fixed to the wheel in any way. The next day I added one more piece to the brackets - it's nothing special, but thus far hold them in pretty well:

It has since been noted that the wheel studs will likely not wear well resting right on the steel angle iron pieces so I've got yet a little more work to do, but I at least feel like I'm moving in the right direction.

Jonathan
Old 02-02-2017, 10:00 PM   #323

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I think you have a potentially good solution. The solution to stabilization with better support might be to have fabricated a metal plate with holes through it for the studs and the center removed to clear the hub. Then weld that plate to your angle iron supports.

It should not be all that expensive to have a shop finish helping you fabricate it. For things such as that require a welder that can do heavier work that the one we have we found a local artist/blacksmith in our neighborhood who takes on that kind of simple job to supplement his income when not creating art work. I ran across him during the local gallery art walk night, he shares space with other artist in an industrial building. Whereas if we had to go to a full time welding shop they would have charged us a much higher rate and had a minimum shop charge as well.

Or you could get the plate made, clean the surfaces up to make it ready to weld, secure it in place to the angle iron pieces with clamps and then take it to a local welder on a Friday afternoon with a case of beer in hand Jobs that only take a few minutes to complete that get paid in beer are a standard form of neighborhood currency in our industrial area. Saves those book keeping hassles of quoting and billing for the really small jobs.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #324

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I think you have a potentially good solution. The solution to stabilization with better support might be to have fabricated a metal plate with holes through it for the studs and the center removed to clear the hub. Then weld that plate to your angle iron supports.
This is a wonderful idea KC, thank you! I've been teetering on the edge of buying a welder and learning how to use it, this might be a good first project to try.

So today as I stood on the ladder and scraped... and scraped... and scraped... the question lingered in my mind of who was crazier: the previous owner for slathering the camper with a coat of black marine paint, or me for purchasing a camper that had been slathered with a coat of black marine paint? I didn't arrive at a final verdict, but I managed to get another section completed:

By my estimate I've got another 6 hours remaining in terms of this first pass of scraping... OK, I guess I'm the crazier one.

Jonathan
Old 02-05-2017, 02:21 AM   #325

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
Some days i wonder who was the less smart,you,me or our past owners.every day holds a new discovery of what not to do.following your battle closely,you are about two weeks ahead of me,and are a great leader! My '89 is coming along well,but
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #326

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNEYCONE View Post
My '89 is coming along well,but
Forgive me in advance if I'm completely blind, but do you have a thread going on your 89 restoration? I hunted around and didn't see one...... but would like to, hence my question!

Jonathan
Old 02-12-2017, 06:07 PM   #327

North Carolina
Yesterday:

And today:

Getting there!!

Jonathan
Old 02-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #328

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
Jonathan, since you did a full body-off,i am sure you looked for any weak spots. Damned,if it seems you may have some twisting in the frame takeingplace. My chassis is made up of 2-11/2" sq. Tubes welded with 11/2"sqtube cross members. I've had her jacked up every way from sundaywithout any distortion. [do not jack ahead of axle!!!!] the lack of closet/kitchen walls to brace the cabin may also be a factor. Bedamnifino
barney bonaparte cone ii
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #329

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
That's nice Progress Jonathan. Great to see the outside cleaned up and ready for a new finish.

Walt
Old 03-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #330

North Carolina
I've been putting tiny amounts of time into the camper over the past few weeks. While at IKEA a couple weekends back I picked up a couple super lightweight folding chairs to pair with the super lightweight folding table I found at Walmart so I now have a completely stow-able inside dining setup for colder months if/as it's needed:

From a work perspective, outside of more scraping I decided to get a start on the bathroom. Thus far I busted the sewing machine back out to make a curtain for the window out of some cool, kitschy fabric "my designer" found - the window was/is frosted so it wasn't really required, but helped dress the space up a bit visually. I also installed a light and switch which basically mirrors what I had done on the outside wall:

Last but not least, I got a portable toilet installed. For a long while I had my sights on a Dometic 976 SaniPottie, but after doing more overly obsessive research I ended up purchasing a Thetford 92360 Porta Potti simply because it seemed to have a slight edge in terms of reviews by various editors and customers:

I'm still a little unsure if I'll bother with a working sink, but I'll at least get a small counter and some storage installed.

More updates as I make progress!

Jonathan
Old 03-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #331

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Oh Jonathan. What an incredible project! I am both alarmed for you and very impressed! Please keep those photos coming! I am enjoying your journey much more than you are I am sure.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:07 PM   #332

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I really like the folding dinette. I recall you had some kind of folding recliner in that space in an earlier picture. Multi-use furnishings and spaces- I like it!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #333

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
The Kilz company says it does not kill mold on the substrate it is applied to and it will not prevent that mold from regrowth.
The original Kilz product was lacquer based (they still make some of the Kilz products with a lacquer base). Lacquer is good for preventing stain bleed through. Therefore the name of Kilz was given to it for its ability as a stain bleed through killer.
I believe the original Kilz was shellac. Shellac is alcohol based . I'm a wood furniture finisher and still use white pigmented shellac on pine to seal the knots.

Excellent thread, BTW! I'm on page five. I have a thread over in the Uhaul section. I'm about done with it and a friend has offered me a deal on his 1993 17' Casita...that's why I'm here...checking out what I may run into.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #334

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Something wrong there. The first 17' Casita was in 1996, or possibly late 1995.
If it's truly a '93 then it would be a 16'.

Walt
Old 08-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #335

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Something wrong there. The first 17' Casita was in 1996, or possibly late 1995.
If it's truly a '93 then it would be a 16'.

Walt
And...that's why I came to the Casita threads. Thanks Walt! I haven't even seen it. May go do that today.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #336

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
I believe the original Kilz was shellac.
Original Kilz is still sold today, and it's oil based. Perhaps you were thinking of BIN Shellac sealer?
Old 08-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #337

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Original Kilz is still sold today, and it's oil based. Perhaps you were thinking of BIN Shellac sealer?
By golly! I believe you're correct! There's lots of products out there. Easy to get this old painter brain confused!
Old 08-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #338

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
By golly! I believe you're correct! There's lots of products out there. Easy to get this old painter brain confused!
Yeah, especially nowadays with all the low VOC and water based replacements for good old solvent bases. When I worked at a paint company (years ago) we made sure we kept 3 stain blocking primers in stock: KILZ oil based, BIN shellac sealer, and Bullseye 123 (water based). Between the 3 you had just about every use case covered.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #339

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Priorities

ShaggyDoink I love that you are probably out camping this thing all summer instead of working your tail off on it These Kilz debaters bumped your thread up so I've blown some time seeing what you've done. Way Obsessive Dude!!! I love the Porsche brakes!!! I'm gonna have to do mine in red caliper paint too when I get to that point. Keep on Keepin On... You've won this battle.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #340

Louisiana
Registry
This a great thread. I didn't mean to take it over. Sorry.

Tags
casita