Round Table or Square? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Round Table or Square?

I would value some feedback and comments.
We love the interior modifications to our Boler, but I have been reconsidering the shape of the table.
It is currently 34" square but what are your thoughts on changing the table to round.

The reasons for the reconsideration are minor,
1) would the round shape better match the curved design of the trailer
2) access into the seating area would be easier (although in the current design the table top slides back in ball bearing slides to allow access)

I am not concerned about the work in making a new table, woodworking is a passionate hobby of mine.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
or oval
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
One issue with a round table is if it doubles as a bottom for a couch or bed, it is not stable. Even the rounded corners leave a gap that can cause a fall through of a hand or in my case my dog's foot.

That said, they do look classy. Go ahead and make it, you know that you want to.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
One issue with a round table is if it doubles as a bottom for a couch or bed, it is not stable. Even the rounded corners leave a gap that can cause a fall through of a hand or in my case my dog's foot.

That said, they do look classy. Go ahead and make it, you know that you want to.
Your right my thoughts if I do go round would be to make the table 38" in diameter, then inlay the table into the seat bases on each side and the back, front support would be with a short fold down leg. Inlaying the table would also provide a means to "lock" the table down for travel so it would not bounce around. The table could also then be free standing rather than fixed to the floor. (we always travel with the table folded). Gap is a consideration although the larger diameter would minimize these to some degree.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Given the shape of the seating, I would stick with what is there myself. I think it would look, and work, better. Worse case though, if you do make a round one and like it less, you could always switch back again.

It does look nice in there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:46 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I like square or rectagular-ish. Good use of the space available.

I made a new side dinette table from marine ply and edged it with maple set proud of the top and inset a plexiglas top to return the edge to flush. I put camping photos (photo tape) under the plexi.

I thought spills might cause problems leaking under the edge, but knock on wood, no problems yet. They're all digital photos so running another copy wouldn't be a problem anyhow.

Not Stickley furniture level work but it holds up a plate of bacon and eggs
Attached Thumbnails
Table2.JPG  
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
On the "fall into the gap" issue, I can say from experience that I was amazed that five inches of foam cushion plus 3" of memory foam can be pushed thru a 10"X10" gap by the human body. This happens at the center rear of the dinette in the Burro due to stopping wraparound seating/lockers short of the centerline. I imagine your gaps will be of less area than that. Would it be best to try a simple mockup (say a circle of cheap ply) before building, finishing and letting into the locker tops?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
All great comments and things to consider, keep them coming