Rucio's Winter Makeover - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #81

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Wow Jen, What an undertaking. Is the Burro artwork coming back on the trailer. You and your family are doing an incrediable job. Keep the photos coming, you have an avid audience now.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #82

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Sneak preview! We'll be able to pick up on Monday. My dad took a few photos at the body shop yesterday.

Jen,

If you are artistic, you could paint rivits on the body. Airstream would get a lot of inquires. Really nice.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #83

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Always thought one of those airbrush artists could do an astonishing job of making "aluminum strips & rivets" on an egg-shaped f/g trailer, drive the Airstreamers nutz!

At a car show many years ago a guy had a truly ugly old home-made wooden trailer with perfectly rendered Winnebago logos on it. I asked him if that was really the first attempt by Winnie at making something and he said - "Heck no, my uncle made that when I was a little kid. I just put the logos on to piss off the millionaire Winnebago owners!"

Seems worth doing......
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #84

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm heading out to Pittsburgh tomorrow for a weekend of tinkering. It will be the first time I'll see the new paint job in person!

Yes, we are putting Burro decals back on - the angry and/or windswept burro graphic is one of the things I really love about this trailer brand, and I wanted to keep that element.

One of the members here, Mark S I think, did a "burrostream" complete with painted-on seams and rivets, and I think that genius needs to stand on its own, so I'm not going for that look, just basic uninterrupted silver.

I designed a spare tire holder and got it fabricated and maybe we can get that sandblasted and welded onto the bumper and painted this weekend. I'm pretty geeked about my design, which I'll share when I have photos for illustration.

Otherwise this weekend we're going to mess with the new maple kitchen counter, devise and attachment point for the new smaller propane tank, and, uhhhh, some other stuff.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #85

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
We are going to keep egging you on until you post more pix of the hatchling, Jen.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #86

Pennsylvania
Registry
I promise! More photos on the way!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #87

Pennsylvania
Registry
OKAY.

First I have to say that these photos do no justice to the paint job. Its splendor cannot be overstated, but my iPhone could do a better job capturing it. Eh!

Yesterday's job was cutting holes (ugh, so hard to make holes in that pristine new paint!) and installing the service ports for water-in, water-out, and electricity-in.

I moved the three items around along the side of the trailer trying to decide whether I wanted them to make a horizontal line, three points of a triangle, or what. Lined up Orion's belt as a joke, but then liked it.

Note on this photo that the original wheels are hideous, and will be replaced soon with sharp new rims.
Attached Thumbnails
service hookups small.jpg  
Old 04-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #88

Pennsylvania
Registry
Today included:
* standing around admiring the new paint job
* installing the fantastic fan
* remembering we needed to make a wiring junction from the fan to the front ceiling in order to wire up an over-table light
* removing the fantastic fan and cleaning up the butyl mess
* running the wiring for the over-dinette light and an LED strip
* re-installing the fantastic fan
* getting the sink and faucets (shore water and hand pump) fitted into the kitchen countertop
* making a trim cap for the edge of the countertop

Photos show: various views of the new paint, and the kitchen counter with sink. We'll cut the hole in the countertop for the gas cooker tomorrow.

The countertop will be anchored down to the fiberglass mold counter using keyhole hangers that we recessed into the underside of the counter, causing a round-head bolt to stick out of them, pointing downwards. We drilled holes in the molded counter, so the bolts settle into the holes and everything lies flat. We'll then run washers and nuts from beneath into the 6 bolts coming down from beneath the new countertop to snug it all up.
Attached Thumbnails
new paint job 1 small.jpg   new paint job front small.jpg  

new paint job rear small.jpg   fitting kitchen counter small.jpg  

Old 04-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #89

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
looking good,

what size and how much did that fiberglass propane tank set you back?
idiotsniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #90

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotsniff View Post
looking good,

what size and how much did that fiberglass propane tank set you back?
That's the Lite Cylinder 3 gallon tank, and I got in on the recent (and still going on) sale on Amazon for $89.something. Regular price around $109 thereabouts.

Amazon.com: Lite Cylinder LC-10-30 Composite See-Through Propane Tank, 3 Gallons Capacity, Blue: Industrial & Scientific
Old 04-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #91

Sarnia, Ontario
how does that compare to the steel tanks that are rated in lbs?
Old 04-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #92

Pennsylvania
Registry
I want to say 10 pounds? But don't take my word for it. The tank that came with the trailer was a 30 pound monstrosity.

One of our next engineering tasks is to figure out a way to attach the tank to the tongue.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #93

Sarnia, Ontario
could you lay it down with a strap like this
Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #94

Pennsylvania
Registry
Oh! That's an idea - thanks!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #95

Sarnia, Ontario
np jen, thats what I'd do. I like it that way personally. not sure if you are going to have a battery box out front or how you plan on doing things. but its thought.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #96

Sarnia, Ontario
I wish we had a garage that big to work on our trailer. It must be nice to have the space and the shelter to work on that trailer of yours. nice to be able to work on things over the winter I bet.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #97

Sarnia, Ontario
you have any more interior pictures jen?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #98

Pennsylvania
Registry
I'll grab more interior shots tomorrow. It's kind of a mess right now with bunches of parts and stuff laying around everywhere.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #99

Sarnia, Ontario
no worries, just wondered if you had more. appreciate you updating the thread
Old 04-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #100

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
You must be totally pumped Jen, it looks great... That took some nerve cutting into that new paint too!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote