Rust remover? - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-11-2015, 07:27 AM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 1995 16 ft Scamp
Virginia
Rust remover?

Our Scamp has some rust on the bumper and tongue. I'd planned to hand sand it this weekend, then paint with Rustoleum. I've been reading about some rust remover sprays, and I've also heard that vinegar will remove rust.

These aren't huge areas and the rust mainly seems to be on the surface instead of really compromising the metal.

Is there a *best* way to do this?

Old 04-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by artrageous View Post
Our Scamp has some rust on the bumper and tongue. I'd planned to hand sand it this weekend, then paint with Rustoleum. I've been reading about some rust remover sprays, and I've also heard that vinegar will remove rust.

These aren't huge areas and the rust mainly seems to be on the surface instead of really compromising the metal.

If it's easy to get to I like a wire wheel on a hand drill. Raz

Old 04-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #3

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Rust remover?

This is what all the hot rod guys use to stop the rust on there builds. It stops the rust permanently.
https://www.por15.com/mobile/POR-15-...ating_p_8.html

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-11-2015, 08:28 AM   #4
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
First, and this is my opinion, the rust prevention properties of Rustoleum today are not what they were in the 50s and 60s. I personally find Hammerite to be a much better product. And using vinegar to remove rust is questionable. If you really want to do the job correctly, get some 200 grit sandpaper and some 600 grit sand paper and sand the spots down to bare metal, feathering the painted areas surrounding the rusted area being addressed. Prime the metal with a self etching primer, and then apply a topcoat. And based upon the mass production techniques used at Scamp, expect more areas of rust to develop. The auto companies have a much more complicated process when they paint cars; that's why the paint jobs are smooth and last for a long time. The average trailer frame, sprayed with a paint gun, simply is not of the same quality.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:01 AM   #5

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Love POR-15. No sanding, just scale removing and clean. A one-and-done product. I think when it comes to "paint" and such, you get what you pay for.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:11 AM   #6
Raz

Vermont
Rust on the bumper and tongue. Isn't POR 15 effected by sun light? I 've had good luck with Rustoleum rusty metal primer and then paint. Have you had a bad experience with it Carl? Raz
Old 04-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #7

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Rust on the bumper and tongue. Isn't POR 15 effected by sun light? I 've had good luck with Rustoleum rusty metal primer and then paint. Have you had a bad experience with it Carl? Raz
When I said one and done, I didn't mean you do just one thing. Yes, POR-15 should be topcoated with paint. I meant, you don't have to do it over and over and over again. There are some that go over the frame of the trailer yearly using Rustoleum.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #8
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When I said one and done, I didn't mean you do just one thing. Yes, POR-15 should be topcoated with paint. I meant, you don't have to do it over and over and over again. There are some that go over the frame of the trailer yearly using Rustoleum.
I wonder if you know of a thread that documents the use of POR 15 on a frame with the body still attached i.e. from under the trailer? Reading the can, I decided against it, but..... Raz
Old 04-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #9

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artrageous View Post

Hi: artrageous... Lee Valley Tools makes a rust eraser. It's a small 3X3X1" block of very fine diamond grit.
I use mine for lots of rust erasing jobs Lee Valley Tools
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #10

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Navel Jelly
Old 04-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #11

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 1995 16 ft Scamp
Virginia
Thanks, everyone! Since we had a nice day and a day (FINALLY) to get some things done, I just hand-sanded, wiped it clean and put on a coat of Rustoleum. I'll put on a second coat tomorrow. Rust mainly seemed to be on the surface, so it doesn't seem to be too big of a deal.

This was the first day since we BOUGHT it in November that we've spent a lot of time in it. Still so much to do, but progress was made. Wayne started building out the floor to make a small room for a porta-potty. Tomorrow he'll try to get the 2nd wall up.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:19 AM   #12

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I wonder if you know of a thread that documents the use of POR 15 on a frame with the body still attached i.e. from under the trailer? Reading the can, I decided against it, but..... Raz
Under the circumstances, it's best put on with a brush, so controlling the amount of over spray is a mote point. Here's one thread about using POR-15, I know Larry is pleased: Flooring and Frame Paint Advice?
Old 04-13-2015, 05:09 AM   #13
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Under the circumstances, it's best put on with a brush, so controlling the amount of over spray is a mote point. Here's one thread about using POR-15, I know Larry is pleased: Flooring and Frame Paint Advice?
Good thread. Thanks, Raz