Rustoleum marine topside paint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 1979 Burro 13ft
Arkansas
Rustoleum marine topside paint

Saw a thread not too long ago about someone who had good luck with rustoleum marine topside paint on older small fiberglass trailer. Would like to contact that person. Any leads?
davb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I just ordered the same product to paint my fiberglass truck. Watched several videos on 'roll and tip' painting and will be trying that in the near future.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #3

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
I've had good luck with the roll and tip method on my fiberglass boat, a 26' ex-navy boat. I've found the tricks are to (1) use a top quality paint (I prefer Interlux or Pettitt one part epoxy), (2) use a very good quality china bristle brush for tipping and a 4" foam roller for applying the paint, (3) pick a lower humidity day, not the kind we can get here in tidewater VA in the summer ,and (4) just do a 2' square section at a time. I used paint thinner to clean the surface before painting instead of a tack cloth. Once applied and tipped, the paint will flow together and you can move on to the next 2' square section. If you mess up, let it dry, sand it down, and re-apply.

jack
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #4

Trailer: Hunter
New Mexico
There are plenty of threads on the Tip and roll method and painting threads but I would also like to hear specifically about Rustoleum Topside paint.
Seldomseensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #5

Name: Todd
Trailer: 1974 Scamp 13'
Malvern, Ohio
Registry
I used rustoleum on my rig. Ask away.
Todd Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:17 PM   #6

Trailer: Hunter
New Mexico
Did you thin it? and if so, with what?
Tip and Roll?
How many quarts did you go through?
Happy with the results?
Thanks
Seldomseensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:05 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I recently painted two different pop-up tent trailer tubs with the Rust-Oleum Marine paint with good results. BUT I used Interlux Topside on my Hunter and got excellent results. In any case, always use the undercoat/primer recommended for use with the product.

BTW: when with the primer, the Rust-oleum product did not cover as well and took more paint.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Peter and I are renovating a Surfside trailer and we used Rustoleum Topside to paint it.

We tried both thinned and not thinned. We preferred the way it rolled when thinned and used 5% mineral spirits as recommended on the can.

Following the advice we found on the Amazon.com reviews, we used a brush only for the edges and used a foam roller everywhere else. This worked quite well although a bit frightening at first! The paint 'bubbles' quite a bit as it is rolled on, but then it levels out and the bubbles disappeared. We sanded between coats and did 4 on top and 3 on bottom. Initial coats looked a bit like orange peel finish but each additional coat (with sanding between) came out smoother and smoother.

The paint gets very hard . . . over time. I tested it in an inconspicuous location and found I could still dent it with a fingernail after several days, but it was much harder by the end of a week, and after a few weeks it was almost impossible to dent. So be sure to give it time to 'cure' after painting.

We used ~6 quarts of Topside. We also used 2 quarts of the Rustoleum Marine Primer before switching to Topside to finish. We made our initial purchase on Amazon.com before finding it on the shelf at our local Ace Hardware store (call and check - only some Ace stores carry it).

We are happy with the results. It isn't super smooth like an automobile paint job. But it looks very good and we like the idea of being able to do a touch-up whenever we need.

--Lynne (and Peter)
lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:31 AM   #9

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I tried it on my boat, used to paint the topside stripe and water line stripe and it held up well for 2 years till Sandy destroyed the boat. Its alot cheaper then the 2 part marine paints but seems pretty good from all the online reviews I have seen.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Burro 13ft
Arkansas
rustoleum paint

Thanks to all who replied. Got some good ideas. Other questions: Is acetone a good solvent to use? Are the little foam brushes ok for "tipping" ? Any advantage to wet sanding??
davb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As long as there is no existing pain on the surface, Acetone should be fine, but it is very flammable and the slightest static spark can ruin and otherwise good day.

I tried using a foam brush for tipping with the Interlux product and it left streaks, stick with a wide, quality, bristle brush. As you only get paint in the very tip of the brush, it's easy to clean afterwards.

Wet sanding is a must, look up the video's on YouTube on repainting boats for more tips.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We also tried using a foam brush with the Rustoleum Topside product and did not like the results -- the paint did not go on smoothly.

To clarify my earlier posting, we did not use the tip & roll method to apply Rustoleum Topside. We just rolled it on using a firm foam roller. Just the edges were done using a bristle brush after trying (and failing) with the foam brush.

Hope that helps.

--Lynne
lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint