RV Toilets and Marine Heads - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #1

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
RV Toilets and Marine Heads

I have given some thought to low impact camping.

One idea I had was to turn a small fiberglass camper into a roomy bathroom for a group of campers for use at a site without facilities. So it could be just like you would have at home--a full size shower and bathtub, or even a jacuzzi, along with the normal toilet and sink wash station.

So we need a way to get water, dispose of gray water, and dispose of black water.

Water fill pumps, hoses, and filters could be used to take on water at a lakeside for example. So there is no need to carry water. We just need a big tank.

I know very little about RV toilets, but a fair amount about Marine Heads. I was wondering if anyone has used a Marine head in an RV? Some examples would be an Electrosan head which incinerates the waste--nice when you have shore power hooked up or if you have a generator and power to spare, or Vacuflush which used a reduced amount of water to flush--about 1/3--compared to a typical marine head, and features high quality porcelain bowls.

The Electrosan has a heating element and leaves a powdery residue which I'd think could disposed of by being buried. In the marine world this cannot be disposed of by dumping, even though there is zero bacteria. Many feel there is no reason why this could not be dumped in an environmentally conscious manner. On shore it is no different from campfire ashes. So that eliminates black water.

I would think that gray water which is used wash water--water plus soap and a little dirt. Can not gray water be treated to remove the soap or whatever and be discharged harmlessly?

So the final requirement is power. A bank of solar panels and a couple of wind generators, coupled with a generator and batteries, would provide the power.

It would be interesting to run the numbers on power needed to run an Electrosan head, and determine the cost per person to operate such a system.

The bottom line is it is possible to build a system that only requires power to operate in an environmentally harmless way, but the penalty would be cost and weight, and power consumption.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
How about this for you head.
Nature's Head Composting Toilets - The environmentally sustainable waterless toilet for Your Boat, RV, Cabin, Big Rig, Barn, Workshop, or Yurt!
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
As far as replenishing fresh water, we use a water bladder that holds 45 gallons. It lays in the truck bed to fill at the closest facility and transport home, and we pump the water into the fresh water tank using our water pump by reversing a valve. The bladder looks rather like a water bed mattress, but very small. I think we bought it from Camping World.

Recycling grey water is done in some homes; haven't seen it in trailers. Most systems just use the grey for toilet flushing and watering the lawn, but some are more extensively filtered. This could be the trickiest part of the bathroom trailer. Otherwise, you're probably stuck with a lot of blue boy action...

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking Somebody has already done it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
One idea I had was to turn a small fiberglass camper into a roomy bathroom for a group of campers for use at a site without facilities. So it could be just like you would have at home--a full size shower and bathtub, or even a jacuzzi, along with the normal toilet and sink wash station.
Check this out: "Royal Restrooms" is a chain of rental providers and they have an office here in San Diego.
Two Stall Shower Trailers - Executive Portable Restrooms, Two Stall Shower Trailer, Outdoor Event Facilities