Sacrilege? Adding a window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2015, 10:53 PM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Sacrilege? Adding a window

I have a 1979 scamp, and I would just love a window over the stove. I've been looking for almost three months and haven't seen a single original window for this place currently for sale. However, iris stumble across a slightly bigger window (still fitting in the space) that has the same look as the original dinette side windows. (Aluminum square edged jalousies)

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Any big reason I should wait for an original window?
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:12 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
No reason not to install a window if it's what you want. Doesn't have to be original to your brand although something that looks close to the time period will blend in great. Make any changes to make it unique and yours. I doubt there are more of a handful of trailers that are bone stock.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:41 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Have you been to the Scamp store? They sell windows. I would call them for installation advice. Raz

http://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-store-cat-view.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:11 AM   #4

Colorado
Registry
I've seen the scamp store, but am feeling that a scamp new window would look much more out of place than an old metal edge window? I'll definitely double check installation with them, however.

The window in question has the same edge/trim as my other side windows and I do think it would look nice.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree! Do what you want. I have thought about replacing the tiny crank-out window in our galley with the larger slider Scamp uses in the 16'ers for more ventilation toward the front at night when the door is closed. That and swapping the fixed pane window in the door for one that opens.

The only consideration in the galley is you probably don't want curtains too close to the stove, so you'll have to find another way to gain privacy.

If you go with an old-style square jalousie window (which I agree would look nicer), I would recommend drilling a rounded hole in each corner. Fiberglass is more prone to crack at sharp corners.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The only consideration in the galley is you probably don't want curtains too close to the stove, so you'll have to find another way to gain privacy.
Trillium had an optional frosted glass window over the stove.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #7

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Agree! Do what you want. I have thought about replacing the tiny crank-out window in our galley with the larger slider Scamp uses in the 16'ers for more ventilation toward the front at night when the door is closed. That and swapping the fixed pane window in the door for one that opens.

The window, that I believe was original to my Scamp, over the stove is frosted, to avoid the need for a curtain. I installed frosted window film on the window over the sink so I could remove those curtains.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
My little crank-out is frosted, but I don't think the larger ones from the 16'er are. I have mixed feelings on that. With a larger window I'd like to have a view out, but need privacy at night.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
You can see out, when it is open.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
My little crank-out is frosted, but I don't think the larger ones from the 16'er are. I have mixed feelings on that. With a larger window I'd like to have a view out, but need privacy at night.
My '15 Scamp 16 has frosted jalousie style window by the stove so I know they have them. I plan to try and duplicate that on the sink side with stick on window privacy / frosting film. Both windows are too small and too low for me to get any worthwhile view, and curtains for privacy on the sink side is just in the way.
Attached Thumbnails
PA270370.JPG  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #11

Colorado
Registry
The little window I found is frosted! it sounds like it will be a great fit...now to install it...I will definitely drill a round hole first....don't want cracks!
Old 10-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #12

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I had to get window parts for my front bath once and found a place on line that has several camper window types available. Pelland enterprises.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #13

Name: MEX BOB
Trailer: Perris pacer
California
I have a Perris Pacer ! That has a very large kitchen window ! Its a slider ! 👀
mexbob5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #14

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
Two words, port holes! I found mine on eBay. If they're good enough for yachts, then they're good enough for camping
Attached Thumbnails
CAMP1.jpg  
Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:23 PM   #15

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexbob5150 View Post
I have a Perris Pacer ! That has a very large kitchen window ! Its a slider ! 👀
I saw one of those...and I would love it!!! But, I think for the existing scamp a second window is best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert V. View Post
Two words, port holes! I found mine on eBay. If they're good enough for yachts, then they're good enough for camping
Love it! I am wanting extra ventilation more than extra light, so will go the window route. But it definitely looks nice!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe has a factory window over the Kitchen sink.... love it!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #17

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe has a factory window over the Kitchen sink.... love it!
Yes! I've seen that, and if they weren't so hard to find in my area, I'd have held out for one. . It looks like a great way to add more cross ventilation and air!
Old 10-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #18

Name: Biker
Trailer: 2018 Bigfoot 21' 25B21FB (PREV: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe)
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert V. View Post
(sorry to go off-topic) Filbert/anyone, every now and then I see pictures in forums of trailers that are either half painted or completely painted a non-white color...is there a typical/correct method for painting FG trailers? Is this something that you can do yourself, or where would you take them to have it done? Thank you for the info! P.S. Great looking trailer, Filbert!
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:01 AM   #19

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
Sorry to be a bit late to the conversation, but when we got our Scamp, a p.o. had already cut the window hole and put in a slider window on the forward driver's side. We love it. Adds ventilation and a view! If you'd like to see what ours looks like with a big window (some have a small window there...) here's a pic....
Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #20

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
Biker - We took ours to a local community college auto collision repair program. They knew how to do it...and for a lot less than a commercial shop. They told me what to do to get it ready...then they did the final prep, primed, painted, and clear coated it. Here's a pic...
Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote