Sawdust Toilet - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 06:15 AM   #57

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Still looking for answers... if it's OK (or not OK) to dispose of doggie pooh-bags and where, and how is human waste different from kitty waste in kitty litter?

In the meantime, in looking for answers, I found this article about new technology (too expensive for Rv's but very interesting new methods)

This Is What A Toilet Looks Like When Bill Gates Is Involved | Co.Exist | ideas + impact

LP (still researching)
Ellpea, this is what I found for Seattle:

Pet Waste & Litter
Put dog poop and used kitty litter into the garbage. Double bag, tie off tightly to prevent air inside. This prevents bags from "exploding" near workers, when compacted.
Pet waste cannot be composted in the food and yard waste cart or in backyard composting bins.
Do not flush kitty litter down the toilet.

2012 4Runner Ltd
Old 08-24-2015, 06:24 AM   #58

Name: Sands
Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16'
Arizona
In King County (including Seattle) it is legal to put human fecal matter in regular garbage can or dumpster:

Solid waste disposal in King County

Disposable diapers, adult incontinence products, and other materials contaminated with feces may be thrown out in the regular garbage if they are placed in a sealed plastic bag.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:37 AM   #59
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
In King County (including Seattle) it is legal to put human fecal matter in regular garbage can or dumpster:

Disposable diapers, adult incontinence products, and other materials contaminated with feces may be thrown out in the regular garbage if they are placed in a sealed plastic bag.

Could be that King County utilizes an incinerator rather than landfill for solid waste disposal???? They operate at such high temperatures that it would reduce most everything to ash.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #60

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Basically, vendor advertising claims are hearsay unless backed up with pesky little items like EPA approval numbers etc. That said, as we know, this blanket statement by Cleanwaste just isn't true:
"The double bagged WAG bag is approved for disposal in any garbage can."
Approved by who? The vendor?

And, in looking top to bottom of their site, I can't seem to find any references whatsoever to the EPA or alleged approvals.
http://www.cleanwaste.com/

The entire issue of how to take care of personal hygiene needs of backcountry hikers is entirely different than the same issue in an RV and reailty don't intersect at a sheet of 11x17 paper with a bull's-eye drawn on it. The latter is a localized answer to deal with a localized issue for a select group and, considering State and National Parks budgets, it's an accomplishment to be applauded. Just don't try emulating it in front of Old Faithful. LOL

In as much as this has drifted soooo far from the original issue, and the OP hasn't bothered to reply to questions about their claims, I'm moving on to issues that are more FGRV related.

I'm Out......
Old 08-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #61

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:

The above is not unlike the laws here in Vancouver - the key word being "contaminated" materials.

One can put contaminated/soiled disposable diapers & adult incontinence products in the regular garbage but not the actual solid waste of a human or animal.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:43 PM   #62

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
Ellpea, this is what I found for Seattle:

Pet Waste & Litter
Put dog poop and used kitty litter into the garbage. Double bag, tie off tightly to prevent air inside. This prevents bags from "exploding" near workers, when compacted.
Pet waste cannot be composted in the food and yard waste cart or in backyard composting bins.
Do not flush kitty litter down the toilet.
So in Seattle, dog and kitty poo can be double bagged and placed in the regular garbage, but no composting.

Good to know, thank you for looking this up!
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Old 08-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #63

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:

Amazing. Thank you! Doesn't it sound like a commercial, double-bagged system would then be acceptable?
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Old 08-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #64

Name: John
Trailer: Burro
New Mexico
Sawdust Toilet pictures

As promised, here are pictures of the modifications I made in my 13 Foot Burro. She needed at toilet so I decided upon a sawdust toilet after reading and researching about water saving toilets.

These toilets are economical, odorless, and MUCH better on the environment. Plus, it preserves our precious drinking water. This is biodegradable and better on the landfill than Pamper's diapers which have a plastic lining.

I use paper bags with wax paper lining designed for this purpose with Aspen sawdust that sells for $4 a pack at Walmart in the pet bedding section.

Now I am free to camp without worrying if there are toilet facilities or I am free from going outdoors in the rain, snow, or dark to use the restroom.

I installed a curtain for privacy and have hand sanitizer handy in a nearby dispenser.

For more information, Google "sawdust Toilets" and click on IMAGES. They are legal in all 50 states and the waste is more biodegradable than disposable diapers. There is absolutely no odor when the waste is covered with a thin layer of sawdust.

You start out with a lined container with about 5 inches of sawdust on the bottom. After you use the toilet you sprinkle enough clean sawdust on top to completely cover the waste. (You keep a small dry clean container of sawdust nearby with a coffee can for a scoop!). You drop the paper in there too! Cover it all up, and you're good to go! I can camp all week with 1-2 people without changing the waste container bag. No odor whatsoever. Comes out neatly, the bag ties closed, the waste moisture is absorbed by the sawdust material.

Throw it away in any garbage container. It's no more smelly than a child's soiled diaper (in fact, it's much less smelly) there's practically no odor at all.

Just another alternative for these awesome campers!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0377.jpg   IMG_0386.jpg  

IMG_0391.jpg  
Old 08-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #65

Name: John
Trailer: Burro
New Mexico
You can see the curtain in one of the pictures tied back on the opposite wall. I run it across on a nylon cord. Stow it carefully away from the cooktop when using the cooktop. I run it to the other side of the camper. Sorry for the orientation of the photos, they were the correct orientation when I uploaded them but the application must have thought it better to flip them! You'll have to turn your head to view them! (sorry)
Old 08-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #66

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Colangelo View Post

Throw it away in any garbage container.
As has already been discussed here at length, if it were not for the the fact that the disposal of solid human waste into a garbage container is actually illegal in most places if would be awesome.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #67
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014 V6 Jeep Cherokee
Minnesota
Registry
Please, let's not "go" there again.
Sid
Old 08-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #68

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Sounds to me like a well thought out solution for a problem that was solved years ago with the porta-potty, which work just fine without buying bags of sawdust and having packages of waste to have to properly (& legally) dispose of somewhere.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #69

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1974 13 ft
Florida
To each their own Bob, keep your cassette. I prefer to save water and not place waste in the water supply.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 09-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #70

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Registry
John, were do you buy sawdust? And what does it cost?

Bill

Tags
burro