Sawdust Toilet - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #81

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
While disposal of human waste in a waste water treatment facility is the preferred method, it is not the do all and end all as far as the environment is concerned. While wastewater can be treated to drinking water standards (yes, you could drink it safely), in NA the final product is generally disposed by spray field application, rapid infiltration basins, or into wetlands. Unfortunately, the treated water is generally "contaminated" with pharmaceuticals (antibiotics and hormones such as estrogen and progesterone from birth control pills eliminated in urine by anyone using these products). Regardless of how wastewater is returned to the environment, these "contaminants" end up in the water supply, whether ground or surface water. Additionally, antibiotics fed to livestock end up in the water supply. The point I make is that no method of disposal is perfect or without some potential of risk.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #82

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Good point CPW.

Cow manure gets spread on fields here. Countless disposable diapers are put in the local trash by countless folks all across the nation. Baby poop doesn't make it any less human waste.

Countless folks put their kitty litter and dog poop in the local trash as well each week. I understand John's and Lisa's desire to conserve water. And CPW's mention of the antibiotics and other health hazards in our waters.

I have used double doodie bags for many years. Now I have a ports Pottie as it came with the scamp.

Runoff from farm fields. Antibiotics. Human waste from diapers or sawdust toilets. Water wastage from home and public toilets. In the end, arguments can be well spoken against hazards for anything. What the best answers are to all of if perhaps needs divine inspiration.

I remember wanting to use cotton diapers when my babies were small. Soaking, washing, all that water. Drying in dryer using electricity sourced from fossil fuels. Geesh!

What is the best environmental answer? Perhaps only The Lord knows. Disposable Diapers come untaped and most don't use expensive contractor bags to send their garbage out each week. Including moi.

If the law is a no no for human waste disposal in the garbage, then the law should include diapers, or it needs to be amended. And people's blood products. What about the millions of contaminated sanitary napkins that go out to the garbage every week? Possible HIV, hep b and c.

Questions. Questions. So much to think about. In the end arguments can be held, but compromise is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #83

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The best reason I know not to dispose of human waste in the garbage is. More and more waste system managements are using conveyor lines with human beings sorting garbage by hand to comply with environmental requirements. Pulling out the items like plastics, batteries and metals that should no longer be disposed in a land fill to form toxic soup.
The unfortunate people having to do this type of work already have a crummy job, they don't need it to turn into a crappy one.

In this day and age we don't have to do this and have proper approved ways of disposal of human waste. Your traveling in an RV you go all over the place so modern ways of disposal are easily within reach. Your not back packing in the wilderness.

You don't want to handle your own sewage and its odors but feel fine with dumping it someone's else's garbage to deal with it. I know your not going to pack it home and dump it in your own garbage can. I hope you wipe your butts with the sawdust too so your not wasting trees making toilet paper.

I guess none of the kids you knew never went on trash can safari's or dumpster diving.

I just don't get it.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #84

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post

If the law is a no no for human waste disposal in the garbage, then the law should include diapers, or it needs to be amended. And people's blood products. What about the millions of contaminated sanitary napkins that go out to the garbage every week? Possible HIV, hep b and c.
Wendy you raise good points and in these parts although diapers are permitted into the general garbage it is only "soiled" diapers that are permitted not solid human waste. The idea being that the solid waste matter is first removed from the diaper and flushed down a toilet.

Perhaps in the not to distant future we will have a safer/better way of dealing with human waste soiled products other than sending them out with the general garbage but in the meantime we do have flush toilets and sani dump facilities to deal with solid human waste in a safer & more environmentally friendly fashion.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #85

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And, "biodegradable" products can take up to ten years to degrade. "Compostable" products take weeks or months.
Actually many items that are considered compostable products such as paper and yard and food waste can take many years to biodegrade if they do not have the right level of moisture, air and heat needed to biodegrade. Newspapers & grass for example have been known to take 25 years or more to degrade in landfills. To little air and to much or to little moisture are common reasons for the items not to degrade.

Which has me wondering just how long would it take wood chips and human waste double bagged in plastic with no air circulation to actual degrade.....

I bit of info on that topic of biodegradable products & how long they take to degrade can be found at Stanford Edu - Symmetrical Archaeology: The Garbage Project - go down to the section heading "BIODEGRADATION IN LANDFILLS."
Old 09-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #86

Name: Moe
Trailer: In the market
Alaska
The first I've seen of this idea was the "Humanuer Handbook". Sawdust (or sphagnum) combined with human waste was collected and composted. It is fairly common among the "rural hipster" / sustainable living crowd. I had a go of it (ahem...) while I lived in a dry cabin in Fairbanks. Honestly, folks, there is no smell. Not sure how I feel about it being tied up in a plastic sack and dumped, though...
Old 09-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #87

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchick View Post
The first I've seen of this idea was the "Humanuer Handbook". Sawdust (or sphagnum) combined with human waste was collected and composted. It is fairly common among the "rural hipster" / sustainable living crowd. I had a go of it (ahem...) while I lived in a dry cabin in Fairbanks. Honestly, folks, there is no smell.
Moe what you say is correct! BUT and its a big BUT in the situation you describe the material is given time to actually degrade/compost. Its very common to see such systems in use up here in the north particularly on small islands were there is no community sewage plant and the property is located to close to the water to allow for a septic field system install due to environmental concerns.

But if one is taking human waste and sawdust and double bagging it into plastic bags (lack of air will prevent it from composting) and dumping it into a garbage bin every few days that is not composting but instead simple the illegal disposal of a hazardous waste
Old 09-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #88

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
OK, this ongoing discussion tempts me to begin researching again. I found this information from the NYC Department of Education:

"Body waste products such as urine and feces without blood
are not considered regulated waste. Waste such as
disposables containing non-fluid blood (i.e.: soiled sanitary
napkins, dressings, gauze and cotton balls with a small
amount of dried blood or other body fluids) are not
Regulated waste. These can be disposed of in plastic bags
with regular garbage."

This is a memo sent out to schools in the city from:
Office of Occupational Safety and Health
65 Court Street, Room 706
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(718) 935-2319

Here is a link to a national map that in turn leads to info about "medical" waste in all 50 states. It should be noted that in what I've found so far, "medical" or "biohazard" waste includes blood, semen, vaginal discharge, and medical implements such as needles(so this link may not address human solid waste). I just include it in case there are other researchniks like me around.
Map

The regulations for Oregon say that "medical" waste does not include soiled diapers.

The regulations for California say:

"Medical waste does not include any of the following:

Waste generated in food processing or biotechnology that does not contain an infectious agent.
Waste generated in biotechnology that does not contain human blood or blood products or animal blood or blood products suspected of being contaminated with infectious agents known to be communicable to humans.
Urine, feces, saliva, sputum, nasal secretions, sweat, tears, or vomitus, unless it contains fluid blood.
Waste which is not biohazardous, such as paper towels, paper products, articles containing non-fluid blood, and other medical solid waste products commonly found in the facilities of medical waste generators.
Hazardous waste, radioactive waste, or household waste.
Waste generated from normal and legal veterinarian, agricultural, and animal livestock management practices on a farm or ranch.

I'm not claiming that any of this sways the argument one way or the other. Do with the information above as you like. I'll probably be digging for some more -- specifically about legality of disposal of our "non-regulated" waste.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #89

Name: Moe
Trailer: In the market
Alaska
For a bit of a different tack on this subject... has anybody mentioned the youtube "Gone With the Wynns" video yet about the composting toilet they installed in their RV? It will probably answer a lot of the questions folks keep tossing around here. As to the "why?" of a composting toilet, I would have to say "extended boondocking". Blackwater tanks can only hold so much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 09-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #90

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen Standard:

"Q: Are used urine specimen containers containing urine considered to be infectious waste? Are the same containers when emptied into the sewerage system considered to be infectious and are used urine dip sticks considered to be infectious?

A: The answer is no, unless there was/is visible blood present in the urine. The West Virginia Infectious Medical Waste Rule and the OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen Standard both consider urine and feces, without visible blood, non-regulated body fluids. Therefore, neither urine specimen containers nor urine test dip sticks would be treated as infectious. If the urine did contain visible blood, the fluid could be poured down a sanitary sewer; and the container and dip stick would need to be discarded as infectious medical waste."

"It is also recommended by the Oncology Nursing Society that any disposable items contaminated with urine or feces from the patient within 48 hours of chemotherapy administration should be discarded as hazardous waste."

"...are biohazard cans required in the vicinity of a diaper changing table? In West Virginia, diapers are not infectious medical waste pursuant to Section 3.9.c. of the Rule, which states: 3.9.c. For the purposes of this rule, infectious medical waste does not include the following materials. 3.9.c.3 Used personal hygiene products, such as diapers, facial tissues and sanitary napkins. ...Neither rule defines diapers that contain feces with no visible blood, as infectious medical waste. Therefore there is no need for a biohazard container in a diaper changing area."

This from West Virginia Department of Health

"Understanding that water, urine, feces, and other reasonably anticipated biological components comprising human wastes in sewage are not included in the definition of "other potentially infectious materials" unless "...visibly contaminated with blood...," sewage would not meet the definition of "regulated waste" under most circumstances." excerpt from a letter from Ruth E. McCully, Director
[Office of Health Enforcement], OSHA

"Many folks believe that poop, human poop is a biohazard. The truth is that poop, feces, chacha, ****, turds, scat and the rest may qualify as infectious waste. According to the Centers for Disease control, human feces must have human blood in it before it can be called a biohazard. Therefore, human feces cleanup does not qualify as biohazard cleanup." ...California Affordable Biohazard Cleanup

California HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE
SECTION 117625-117780
...117700. Medical waste does not include any of the following:
(unrelated matter snipped)
(c) Urine, feces, saliva, sputum, nasal secretions, sweat, tears,
or vomitus, unless it contains visible or recognizable fluid blood,
as provided in subparagraph (C) of paragraph (1) of subdivision (b)
of Section 117690.

That's SOME stuff to chew on. I mean think about. I find less information about actual disposal, but I'm not finding anything that considers human waste a biohazard UNLESS it is contaminated with blood, or if the individual has had chemotherapy in the previous 48 hours.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #91

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
This from Columbia University (http://ehs.columbia.edu/RMWpolicy.pdf):

Urine and Feces - Urine is not considered regulated medical waste unless it is submitted as a clinical specimen for laboratory tests. However, if a patient is found to have a disease which may be transmitted through urine, then the material containing this fluid (including diapers) must be considered regulated medical waste. Similarly, incontinence materials are not regulated medical waste provided that the patient does not have an infectious disease transmissible by urine. Fecal contaminated materials are not considered to be regulated medical waste. Feces contain microorganisms that even if potentially pathogenic, cannot be transmitted from trash containers or disposal sites.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:03 PM   #92

Name: David
Trailer: Hunter
New Mexico
It's like breaded chicken.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:22 AM   #93

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldomseensmith View Post
It's like breaded chicken.
Dang, you about got me in trouble with that one. I am at work and when I read it I laughed out loud!
Old 09-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #94

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post

Urine and Feces - Urine is not considered regulated medical waste unless it is submitted as a clinical specimen for laboratory tests. However, if a patient is found to have a disease which may be transmitted through urine, then the material containing this fluid (including diapers) must be considered regulated medical waste. Similarly, incontinence materials are not regulated medical waste provided that the patient does not have an infectious disease transmissible by urine. Fecal contaminated materials are not considered to be regulated medical waste. Feces contain microorganisms that even if potentially pathogenic, cannot be transmitted from trash containers or disposal sites.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with whatever point you are trying to make, but just because it has the name of Columbia University on it doesn't mean it is correct. I would prefer guidance from CDC as far as disease transmission is concerned.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #95
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
So why not ask?

Since we are a well traveled little group why dont we conduct our own poll and ask the rangers, campground hosts, or whatever governing body you have where you camp. "Can I place the byproduct of my sawdust toilet after 1 weeks accumulation, properly bagged, in your trash?"
Where-ever we stay we are agreeing to some sort of code of conduct that is under someones authority. Find that person and ask, it really does not matter how good a case you build pro or con. To quote a previous thread "Their house, their rules."
I am headed out to Custer National Park soon so I plan on asking....
Sid
Old 09-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #96

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Two issues. It's not the "byproduct" that's a concern; it's the "product". And, you need to define, "properly bagged".
Old 09-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #97

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post

A recap of a few relevant items to the thread that some seem to be missing are:

1) The disposal of "Solid" human as well as pet waste into the general garbage has been confirmed here and on another thread of the same topic, to be illegal in many places in NA. Yes one can dispose of "soiled" baby diapers into the general garbage but not if they contain "Solid" human waste.

2) Disposing of anything that has to be double bagged in plastic into general garbage is not good for the environment. If one is actually wanting to save the earth, the use of plastic bags is to be avoided &/if and when they do come into your possession they are sent to designated plastic recycling not to the garbage.

3) The system being discussed in this thread is NOT the same as a sawdust composting toilet which are commonly found and used at homes/cottages where there is no alternative sewage treatment systems available.

Composting takes time (months/years), air and the correct amount of moisture. None of which is going to happen if the material is dumped out of an RV after only a few days and wrapped in two plastic bags & dumped into a garbage can as has been proposed here.

4) Items wrapped in plastic and dumped into garbage cans either go to a landfill where it will sit inside the plastic it is wrapped in for YEARS and not degrade or it will go to an incinerator and be burned sending toxins into the air, as the plastic bags burn.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #98

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Thank You for the summary Carol, I think that pretty much defines and, hopefully, quashes, the whole issue of the human catbox.... LOL

Old 09-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #99

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Bob
I'm with you on this issue
Lets move on

Old 09-03-2015, 11:37 AM   #100

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Lets move on
A bowel movement!