Sawdust Toilet - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #71

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
First, who Places Waste in the Water Supply?, certainly not this camper from the Golden State.

And I think that our world can afford the 3 gallons of water a week that the two of use might use up in our Dometic Sea-Land porta potty (Not a cassette toilet) as every time I flush at home it uses 1 gallon of water, about 8-12 times what a porta-potty uses per flush. Add to that the 2 flushes it might take when emptying the holding tank and you are still only using 5 gallons a week, or the same as 5 flushes at home.

But, Who puts human waste in an unapproved container in a public trash can? is a question that is already been answered.

BTW: Our current water allowance for personal use water, in drought stricken SoCal, is 50 gallons a day per person, when camping I doubt if we use 10 gallons a day. In the past 12 months our water district has reduced water consumption 37% and my personal account has gone down over 40%, we are very water wise out here.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:46 AM   #72

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
I've sail camped on a small sailboat for years using wag bags. They are fantastic for their purpose. I recently spent time camping on the Maine Island Trail (google MITA). I can't imagine a port-potti there and everyone was using wag bags. I tossed them in my garbage can when I got home with a clear conscience. I use a porta potty in my scamp, but when I removed my full bathroom and black water tank, I couldn't believe the responses of how wrong I was. Different folks, different strokes.

Take Care,
Steve

Old 09-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #73

California
I think that those that elect to just throw human waste into their home trashcans would be well advised to honestly check about the legality of that practice with the local sanitation peeps. "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and "Ignorance is Bliss" doesn't work.

If it's OK, so be it, if not, act accordingly.....

BTW: I also removed the toilet and black tank from my Hunter to get the wasted space back, it's made a huge difference and no more looking for dump tanks.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #74

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Peat moss

I use peat moss since it is cheap and easy to find. When I return from trip I tie up the garbage bag and let it compost closed up for a month or two. Then let it compost fully in a trash can with the rest of my compost. Then goes into the yard to feed the flowers.

I think people think it is gross because they don't believe that it does not smell. IT DOES NOT SMELL. When I dump the bag out into the trash can it has the pleasant smell of rich humus. I use the flushable baby wipes for hand cleanup and they seem to take a little longer to breakdown.

The stinky slinky and a black tank on the other hand is gross and stinks of ****!
Old 09-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #75

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1974 13 ft
Florida
I repeat, to each their own Bob.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 09-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #76

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
bob, IMHO I think the dry waste handling system was born at a time when people were looking to go "off line", in case of emergency/apocalypse. or thinking along the lines of recycling - correctly handled, the sawdust system was touted as a source of compost & fertilizer for your garden. but in order to prevent the mad-cow cycle, you have to cross species when it comes to waste - cow or chicken manure on fields growing people-food & human bio-waste on fields growing animal feed. like on like is where you get into trouble with diseases.
a dry waste handling system is an interesting concept - no pumping or hauling in a lot of water, no hauling it out, no expensive or harmful chemicals, just sawdust & a tiny exhaust fan. seems like a good idea for a hunting cabin that is rarely used. not a good idea in a home with many people or little kids. but just imagine, never have to plunger, never would back up, no water lines to freeze, kid's things tossed in could be retrieved, & no baptizing your phone! lol!
Old 09-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #77

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in FL View Post
I repeat, to each their own Bob.

Sorry
When it comes to public health and safety, "To each their own" isn't an acceptable answer or attitude.....

I'm done........
Old 09-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #78

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
BTW. Those "disposable" baby wipes are creating a problem for sewage treatment plants, clogging the filters etc.
And, "biodegradable" products can take up to ten years to degrade. "Compostable" products take weeks or months.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #79

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in FL View Post
To each their own Bob, keep your cassette. I prefer to save water and not place waste in the water supply.

I am trying to get my head around the above in regards to the environmental implications of dumping solid human waste into general garbage and the belief that it somehow saves water & the environment.

Dumping solid human waste into general garbage is well documented as being a real big NO NO in developed nations for very obvious health and environmental reasons. Which is why dumping solid human wasting into general garbage is illegal in most developed parts of the world.

For healthier and safety and general environmental reasons it is far better for solid human waste to be disposed of into a water treatment plant system that has been developed to treat such waste before it is put back into the local environment/water ways. Those treatment plants and the water they use are already built and were developed to protect the local enviornment as such by choosing to not use them the idea that one is saving the planet, is well... enough said.

Double bagging anything in plastic & then dumping it into general garbage is again in most areas where environmental awareness is high is also considered a real big NO NO. In these parts our garbage is now checked to make sure we have not put any plastic into it!

I am all for doing what we can to protect the environment and know that sawdust composite toilets are a sound environmental practise if put into use in a practical environment such as a home or a cottage where one can leave the human waste in place to actually composite (assuming their is no concern with contaminating a local water source due to leaching) and ONLY if one does not already have in place a local sewage treatment plant alternative. The use of the later vs a composite toilet is ALWAYS considered the more environmentally sound alternative as you avoid any concerns with local water supply contamination due to water leaching from a human or animal waste composting systems. Don't believe me? Ask David Suzuki ;-)

I just can't see how a sawdust composite toilet in a travel trailer is considered to be a environmentally friendly or healthy alternative to using a sewage treatment plant , especially when one is having to dump it illegally into general garbage all wrapped up in plastic bags before it even has time to compost .
Old 09-02-2015, 12:48 PM   #80

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
bob, IMHO I think the dry waste handling system was born at a time when people were looking to go "off line", in case of emergency/apocalypse. or thinking along the lines of recycling - correctly handled, the sawdust system was touted as a source of compost & fertilizer for your garden. but in order to prevent the mad-cow cycle, you have to cross species when it comes to waste - cow or chicken manure on fields growing people-food & human bio-waste on fields growing animal feed. like on like is where you get into trouble with diseases.
a dry waste handling system is an interesting concept - no pumping or hauling in a lot of water, no hauling it out, no expensive or harmful chemicals, just sawdust & an tiny exhaust fan. seems like a good idea for a hunting cabin that is rarely used. not a good idea in a home with many people or little kids. but just imagine, never have to plunger, never would back up, no water lines to freeze, kid's things tossed in could be retrieved, & no baptizing your phone! lol!
I agree that the dry system of waste disposal is useful in the mentioned applications, but the caveat "correctly handled" apparently doesn't seem to be of interest to those that advocate, and claim the legality of, just tossing these bags of waste "into any trash can". And in 2015, in an RV, the only advantages I can even remotely see are: a) It's a cheaper system to build and b) some are convinced that it will save the earth.

Bottom line, if it wasn't a health hazard, why would a number of public agencies prohibit the suggested end disposal method?
Old 09-02-2015, 01:06 PM   #81
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
While disposal of human waste in a waste water treatment facility is the preferred method, it is not the do all and end all as far as the environment is concerned. While wastewater can be treated to drinking water standards (yes, you could drink it safely), in NA the final product is generally disposed by spray field application, rapid infiltration basins, or into wetlands. Unfortunately, the treated water is generally "contaminated" with pharmaceuticals (antibiotics and hormones such as estrogen and progesterone from birth control pills eliminated in urine by anyone using these products). Regardless of how wastewater is returned to the environment, these "contaminants" end up in the water supply, whether ground or surface water. Additionally, antibiotics fed to livestock end up in the water supply. The point I make is that no method of disposal is perfect or without some potential of risk.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #82

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Good point CPW.

Cow manure gets spread on fields here. Countless disposable diapers are put in the local trash by countless folks all across the nation. Baby poop doesn't make it any less human waste.

Countless folks put their kitty litter and dog poop in the local trash as well each week. I understand John's and Lisa's desire to conserve water. And CPW's mention of the antibiotics and other health hazards in our waters.

I have used double doodie bags for many years. Now I have a ports Pottie as it came with the scamp.

Runoff from farm fields. Antibiotics. Human waste from diapers or sawdust toilets. Water wastage from home and public toilets. In the end, arguments can be well spoken against hazards for anything. What the best answers are to all of if perhaps needs divine inspiration.

I remember wanting to use cotton diapers when my babies were small. Soaking, washing, all that water. Drying in dryer using electricity sourced from fossil fuels. Geesh!

What is the best environmental answer? Perhaps only The Lord knows. Disposable Diapers come untaped and most don't use expensive contractor bags to send their garbage out each week. Including moi.

If the law is a no no for human waste disposal in the garbage, then the law should include diapers, or it needs to be amended. And people's blood products. What about the millions of contaminated sanitary napkins that go out to the garbage every week? Possible HIV, hep b and c.

Questions. Questions. So much to think about. In the end arguments can be held, but compromise is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-02-2015, 04:39 PM   #83

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The best reason I know not to dispose of human waste in the garbage is. More and more waste system managements are using conveyor lines with human beings sorting garbage by hand to comply with environmental requirements. Pulling out the items like plastics, batteries and metals that should no longer be disposed in a land fill to form toxic soup.
The unfortunate people having to do this type of work already have a crummy job, they don't need it to turn into a crappy one.

In this day and age we don't have to do this and have proper approved ways of disposal of human waste. Your traveling in an RV you go all over the place so modern ways of disposal are easily within reach. Your not back packing in the wilderness.

You don't want to handle your own sewage and its odors but feel fine with dumping it someone's else's garbage to deal with it. I know your not going to pack it home and dump it in your own garbage can. I hope you wipe your butts with the sawdust too so your not wasting trees making toilet paper.

I guess none of the kids you knew never went on trash can safari's or dumpster diving.

I just don't get it.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #84

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post

If the law is a no no for human waste disposal in the garbage, then the law should include diapers, or it needs to be amended. And people's blood products. What about the millions of contaminated sanitary napkins that go out to the garbage every week? Possible HIV, hep b and c.
Wendy you raise good points and in these parts although diapers are permitted into the general garbage it is only "soiled" diapers that are permitted not solid human waste. The idea being that the solid waste matter is first removed from the diaper and flushed down a toilet.

Perhaps in the not to distant future we will have a safer/better way of dealing with human waste soiled products other than sending them out with the general garbage but in the meantime we do have flush toilets and sani dump facilities to deal with solid human waste in a safer & more environmentally friendly fashion.

Closed Thread

Tags
burro