Sawdust Toilet - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #141

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When I bought my property in Wisconsin one of the first things I built was an outhouse.
The outhouse is lined in knotty pine , has insulated walls ,electric lights , electric heat ,a skylight , one way glass in the door so you can see out but not in...
We have the best outhouse in the neighborhood!!
Now there's an idea… Many years ago I stayed with a family in the old village of Moenkopi on the Hopi reservation. No indoor plumbing, so a row of community outhouses lined the edge of the mesa with million-dollar views, but, sadly, no windows…
Old 09-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #142

Name: Garbonz
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Sorry
When it comes to public health and safety, "To each their own" isn't an acceptable answer or attitude.....

I'm done........

i sure hope so. look at traveling with the wynn's youtube channel. Dry waste systems are proven and a good alternative particularly for drycamping.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-10-2015, 06:13 PM   #143

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I don't think that a single example, and the only one frequently offered, is proof of something being a good alternative.

BTW: How much did the Wynns system cost? Some of the systems with a toilet and two digesters will run close to $3000.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:51 AM   #144

Name: rita
Trailer: currently shopping
Massachusetts
I use bucket toilets in my camper. Most of my campgrounds do have either distant walking through the woods to the rest rooms flush and or out house types. In the morning when i clean up, I bring my bucket to the rest room and flush. Clean with simple green and add simple green to the bucket for odor control. Works fine for me and I am 71.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:13 AM   #145

Name: rita
Trailer: currently shopping
Massachusetts
Ha-ha, i remember when i was 21 and pregnant with my first born, a trip to the outhouse was frequent. One night, i went to open the door to run into the house and I was trapped inside the outhouse for quite awhile by a bear grubbing around the outhouse. It was cold in the mountains as it was nearing winter and the animals were fattening up for the last time before winter settled in. i sat down and read the sears catalog plastered on the inside walls with pictures of walleye from fishing and sports magazines till i was dizzy!! then the bear finally got bored and left, i then made my way back to the wood stove to warm up. I could have used a sawdust toilet in those days believe me.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #146

Trailer: 2001 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I don't think that a single example, and the only one frequently offered, is proof of something being a good alternative.

BTW: How much did the Wynns system cost? Some of the systems with a toilet and two digesters will run close to $3000.
Bob, these type of toilets are very popular in the boating world. See a typical discussion here: Nature's Head or Airhead - SailNet Community

None of these people are debating the merits of using this type of toilet, those are self-evident. No through hull fittings, no pumping out needed. They are just trying to decide which of the 3 brands to buy.

I have not priced these out recently but my recollection is --
Nature's Head approx $1000
Air Head approx $1000
C-Head approx $500

What digester? These all work on the same principle. There are two chambers that need to be emptied as needed. One for liquids and one for solids. After use, the solids are mechanically mixed with peat moss or coconut coir. When necessary, the contents of the solid chamber are disposed of, we all hope in a responsible and legal manner.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #147

And IF this was a boating site the discussion would have some validity. A top of the line Dometic, portable toilet, with a 5 gallon holding tank, is about $130, and it comes with tie-downs and a pump-out fitting if you want to put one on your boat.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:41 PM   #148

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Gee Bob, in your post #77 you said "I'm done". I see 11 more from you since that one. Guess you're not.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Gee Bob, in your post #77 you said "I'm done". I see 11 more from you since that one. Guess you're not.
I was done with the sawdust and trash can peeps.... It moved sideways to other solutions that are a lot more expensive but don't seem to apply to FGRV'ing anyway.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #150

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Spences Bridge, BC
Attached Thumbnails
potty - 1.jpg  
Old 09-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #151

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Spences Bridge, BC
That looks exactly like the outdoor bathroom we have at deer camp except ours has a brown toilet seat and is painted blaze orange to comply with Wisconsin deer hunting regulations.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #152

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Even though this is not a boating sight, I believe it's entirely possible that many folks here also have boats. Why is that important or OK Bob? Because the construction of our FG eggs is similar, and we also get many ideas from the boating world for application here. I'm thinking of the 6" deck plates many folks put onto the top of their fresh water tanks for easy cleaning access.

I am grateful for all the diverse backgrounds here and I think it is good to share as knowledge often cross transfers. I've learned a great deal here too about fiberglass and gelcoat. That applies to many boats too, and obviously we don't stop sharing because of it.

All prior and related knowledge welcome in my book. You never know how it might help in the FG Egg world.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #153

My point was about the prices that boating peeps seem to accept as normal for a loo. ($500-1000?) This site is supposed to be a resource for molded fiberglass Trailer owners, not boat owners.

In my pre-retirement work I removed and replaced access covers from all kinds of tanks, including my own water tanks and never heard them called "Deck Plates" until that term appeared here. Same as my experience in the U.S. NAVY, where the same items on tanks were called access covers and Deck Plates where something found on the deck, not on a tank. The boating world did not invent the concept.

But. I did use marine paint on my Hunter, but that doesn't make it a boat either.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #154

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
That looks exactly like the outdoor bathroom we have at deer camp except ours has a brown toilet seat and is painted blaze orange to comply with Wisconsin deer hunting regulations.
Well, since the thread has gone sideways several ways already, I will tell my getting shot on the toilet story. Dad told us about playing cards in a bar back just before he got drafted into WWII. Kind of a rough place I suppose and one of the players got ejected (literally) for some transgression. Drunk and PO'ed he (the ejected player) retrieved a .22 rifle from his truck and walked down the outside wall until he figured he was aligned with the card table inside and began firing through the wall. He had misjudged and instead of hitting any of the card players he managed to shoot an innocent fellow sitting on the toilet!
Old 09-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #155

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Well, since the thread has gone sideways several ways already, I will tell my getting shot on the toilet story. Dad told us about playing cards in a bar back just before he got drafted into WWII. Kind of a rough place I suppose and one of the players got ejected (literally) for some transgression. Drunk and PO'ed he (the ejected player) retrieved a .22 rifle from his truck and walked down the outside wall until he figured he was aligned with the card table inside and began firing through the wall. He had misjudged and instead of hitting any of the card players he managed to shoot an innocent fellow sitting on the toilet!
Several deer have been shot by guys in our party while they were perched on the biffy.
It is one of our more sucessful deer stands. We lock up our guns when. the hunt ends for the day and the cards and alcohol come out . Alcohol gambling and firearms are a bad combination in my book
Old 09-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #156

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Red face Porta Potti vs Luggable Loo

Many years ago, I developed post-cholecystectomy syndrome, and in spite of my best efforts with medication, sometimes have "emergencies."

For a long time (a very long time) I stayed home. Then one day we discovered the luggable loo topper for a bucket, we found special plastic bags for the bucket, we heard about kitty litter and those gel packs. We bought a supply of everything and fixed up two buckets, one as the loo and another for all the supplies. I personally prepared a number of the special bags (with sealing items) and put them in the 2nd bucket. We got a van
that allowed me to sit on the loo no matter if we had a trailer with us or the "privacy tent" we bought--one that snaps open in less than a minute.

I've had to use the privacy tent once, and the van once for emergencies. Unless you have this condition, you have NO IDEA how it feels to be trapped at home for months (and years) and how incredible it is to get out again and see the world to some extent.

I like the idea of the sawdust--you can get giant bags of compressed pet sawdust if it comes to that...you can get clumping kitty litter easily--I tried a porta potti but either it was the wrong model or something, but it didn't work. THIS DOES.

Maybe because we're in Seattle where they seem to understand it makes no essential difference if it's baby diapers, adult diapers, doggy or kitty doo, or something like this, but so far we've had NO trouble with our system except those few moments when every single split second counts.

If we had a trailer with a toilet system, of course I'd use it! But a tent trailer...or the smaller older trailers...well-- I'd of course get the best system I could...but unless you have somewhere to hide it, a porta-potti is pretty obvious if you have to haul it around in your van or put it into a popped up privacy tent. A bucket is less obvious.

That's all. The whole discussion reminds me to be careful, take my meds, and try my best regardless. And that some places seem to be more understanding of human needs than others.

I shudder when I see a family with six little kids and think, oh, SOME PEOPLE THINK THEIR p**p doesn't stink--(with all those little viruses that I'm not immune to) but MINE DOES!

I guess it makes me feel very sad--and then glad again to think that Seattle realizes--it's all the same, and boy, the world must be just full of -- well. Now I think I'm going to wash -- everything!

Good discussion about a VERY IMPORTANT TOPIC!

I wonder what the ADA's opinion on this kind of thing is. Sometimes no news is good news--and it is sometimes better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Who on earth would give you permission, anyway? Say, Mr. Ranger, I just soiled my entire outfit, my shoes, myself, and the entire parking lot. What would you like me to do with it?

Oh. sorry. Better the double-bagged bucket system, seems to me.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #157

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
One reason we cannot compost pet waste is because they carry parasites that even rotting and time sometimes cannot completely kill.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #158

Name: Garbonz
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
Quote:
My point was about the prices that boating peeps seem to accept as normal for a loo. ($500-1000?) This site is supposed to be a resource for molded fiberglass Trailer owners, not boat owners.

In my pre-retirement work I removed and replaced access covers from all kinds of tanks, including my own water tanks and never heard them called "Deck Plates" until that term appeared here. Same as my experience in the U.S. NAVY, where the same items on tanks were called access covers and Deck Plates where something found on the deck, not on a tank. The boating world did not invent the concept.

But. I did use marine paint on my Hunter, but that doesn't make it a boat either.
You sure are entertaining..

Everything new and innovative starts small and is met with resistance by
those who are set in their ways.

It's not for everyone but does have some advantages especially for dry
camping.

Just saying and time to let it go. Pun intended.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #159

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Crapping in the woods in innovative?
Old 09-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #160

[QUOTE=Kai in Seattle;547853]Many years ago, I developed post-cholecystectomy syndrome, and in spite of my best efforts with medication, sometimes have "emergencies."
_______________________ Clip __________________

You might want to "test drive" the Dometic SaniPotty 970 porta-potty. The several ladies (Please don't ask who or why) that have frequented my Hunter have commented that it's "Just Like Home".

SaniPottie 975 portable toilet, tan - Sealand

Closed Thread

Tags
burro