Sawdust Toilet - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #161

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
[QUOTE=Bob Miller;547895]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Many years ago, I developed post-cholecystectomy syndrome, and in spite of my best efforts with medication, sometimes have "emergencies."
_______________________ Clip __________________

You might want to "test drive" the Dometic SaniPotty 970 porta-potty. The several ladies (Please don't ask who or why) that have frequented my Hunter have commented that it's "Just Like Home".

SaniPottie 975 portable toilet, tan - Sealand
Thanks, I will definitely take a look! No, I won't ask who or why!
Kai
Old 09-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #162

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Saw dust, peat moss, what ever, we are talking about a "composting toilet". The quotes are because, if it goes to the dump, then no composting occurs, but it is an option.

People like Carol will say, "it is actually illegal to dispose of human or dog or cat waste in a public landfill." while this may be true, in some places, in many places, this is just not true. Generalizations, and opinion presented as fact do not shed any light on the subject.

If I understand Carol's position, a cat owner is obliged to pick the little turds out of the cat litter and flush them down the toilet. Carol, please correct me if I am wrong. Does this strike any one as unlikely?

The fact is, people put dog poop, in a bag, in the garbage. We frown on dog owners who don't. As far as I know, that is the whole point of cleaning up after your dog. Are these responsible owners expected to then empty these bags into the toilet, then wash the bags out? I have never owned a dog, so again please enlighten me.

Also, in the opinion of Carol, it is the obligation of any parent with children in diapers to rinse out the poppy diapers in the toilet before putting them in the garbage. Lets see, amazingly absorbent diapers rinsed out. Wow that would make for some very heavy garbage. I have had some experience in this, kids seem to generate lots of diapers. I am not sure what the point of being unrealistic is, but I like to discuss options that people are actually going to consider.

So as far as I can see, people do dispose of human or dog or cat waste in a public landfill. This is likely regardless of what the local by-laws are. Yet, the system seems to work. The garbage men are not taking job action to protest. Society still stands.

We are only discussing an alternative method to dispose of something we have had to dispose of as long as humans have existed.

This is not a crises.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:03 PM   #163

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Society still stands. We are only discussing an alternative method to dispose of something we have had to dispose of as long as humans have existed. This is not a crises.
Amen, you have to admit that the FGRV bunch are truly resourceful though. Who else could make 12 pages out of a bunch of crap?
Old 09-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #164

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
The garbage men are not taking job action to protest. Society still stands.

Actually in these parts they are. If they find dog poop or a diaper full of poop in your garbage can you can expect to find they have left it at the end of your driveway in the can with a note telling you its a no no. Just as it is at the landfill if they find plastics in the garbage collected in the district, a bill is sent to the local city hall of the district that brought the garbage to the land full as a penalty for their failure to better educate their residents on appropriate ways of disposing of plastics.

I suspect as with all things it depends on where you live and what is or is not considered acceptable practices and how far the community has embraced a green cleaner way of living.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #165

Registry
[QUOTE=David Tilston;548594]
The fact is, people put dog poop, in a bag, in the garbage. We frown on dog owners who don't. As far as I know, that is the whole point of cleaning up after your dog. Are these responsible owners expected to then empty these bags into the toilet, then wash the bags out? I have never owned a dog, so again please enlighten me. [QUOTE]

Here you go. From the Website of the District of North Vancouver - (note the laws covering not disposing of pet waste into the general garbage are the same across most of the lower mainland of BC. )

Home | District of North Vancouver - " Pet waste""
"Throwing pet waste in the garbage is prohibited in the District. Here are some alternate ways to dispose of your pet's waste" :

CityFarmer.org

Quote:
Also, in the opinion of Carol, it is the obligation of any parent with children in diapers to rinse out the poppy diapers in the toilet before putting them in the garbage. Lets see, amazingly absorbent diapers rinsed out. Wow that would make for some very heavy garbage. .
care to show me on what post I gave the "opinion" that its the obligation of parents to rinse out diapers????

What I did state was in my region it is illegal to dump solid human waste into the garbage. If you had been following another thread posted a couple of days prior on the same topic you would have read that a number of other members here who took the time to actually read the regulations of their area found that the same law was in place in a number of places south of me as well. Who knows may be the case in yours as well

What I did state in regards to diapers is that soiled diapers can be put into the garbage here but you are expected to flush any solid waste contained in them down the toilet prior. Nothing about having to rinse them out
Old 09-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #166

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
What I did state in regards to diapers is that soiled diapers can be put into the garbage here but you are expected to flush any solid waste contained in them down the toilet prior. Nothing about having to rinse them out
Can you please document this process?
What if there is absorbed material?
What if there is stickage?
How should one dispose of the soiled wipes?
What constitutes a suitably clean diaper?
How is this determined?
What are the units involved? (yuck/cm^2?)
Is there an ANSI standard?

Do you really think an apartment dwelling, single, parent will care?
Do big bins get inspected?

Also, any of your friends have cats? Do you think they deserve a lecture about how they dispose of fluffy's "presents"?
Old 09-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #167

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Dumping solid human waste into general garbage is well documented as being a real big NO NO in developed nations for very obvious health and environmental reasons. Which is why dumping solid human wasting into general garbage is illegal in most developed parts of the world.
It is the "in developed nations" part of this that gets under my skin. The implication is that if you don't do it Carol's way, you are not suitably developed. The rest is obviously wrong. There are many places, that most consider developed, where this is not true.

Quote:
For healthier and safety and general environmental reasons it is far better for solid human waste to be disposed of into a water treatment plant system that has been developed to treat such waste before it is put back into the local environment/water ways. Those treatment plants and the water they use are already built and were developed to protect the local enviornment as such by choosing to not use them the idea that one is saving the planet, is well... enough said.
No, not nearly enough said. One little question, What do you think happens when the system is overloaded?

Quote:
Double bagging anything in plastic & then dumping it into general garbage is again in most areas where environmental awareness is high is also considered a real big NO NO. In these parts our garbage is now checked to make sure we have not put any plastic into it!
I don't doubt that you live under some very poorly thought out laws and regulations.

But, lets examine why double bagging and dumping into a SANITARY land fill is not a problem. The same links that you provided that show decomposition happens very slowly in a land fill, imply that double bagged poo is essentially hermetically sealed. What could possibly go wrong? I would hope that any land fill that is currently receiving waste is well equipped to keep the poo contained.

Quote:
I am all for doing what we can to protect the environment and know that sawdust composite toilets are a sound environmental practise if put into use in a practical environment such as a home or a cottage where one can leave the human waste in place to actually composite (assuming their is no concern with contaminating a local water source due to leaching) and ONLY if one does not already have in place a local sewage treatment plant alternative. The use of the later vs a composite toilet is ALWAYS considered the more environmentally sound alternative as you avoid any concerns with local water supply contamination due to water leaching from a human or animal waste composting systems. Don't believe me? Ask David Suzuki ;-)
Ahhh.... my favorite hypocrite.

Quote:
I just can't see how a sawdust composite toilet in a travel trailer is considered to be a environmentally friendly or healthy alternative to using a sewage treatment plant , especially when one is having to dump it illegally into general garbage all wrapped up in plastic bags before it even has time to compost .
Back to what happens when the system is overloaded, like the recent floods in Calgary? It all ends up in the river. I don't think any dumps were flooded, but I could be wrong.

The whole overload thing still applies under more mundane circumstances. Like, when too many people flush the toilet at the same time, or a heavy rain. Poop in the river. Heck there are still places where raw sewage is dumped in the ocean. Gotta think a land fill is preferable here.

And how about those Olympic water sports?
Old 09-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #168

Registry
Quote:
Can you please document this process?
What if there is absorbed material?
What if there is stickage?
How should one dispose of the soiled wipes?
What constitutes a suitably clean diaper?
How is this determined?
What are the units involved? (yuck/cm^2?)
Is there an ANSI standard?

Do you really think an apartment dwelling, single, parent will care?
Do big bins get inspected?

Also, any of your friends have cats? Do you think they deserve a lecture about how they dispose of fluffy's "presents"?

What part of a "soiled" diaper being acceptable are you having troubles understood? As I mentioned earlier soiled personal hygiene items are also acceptable in the garbage so into the garbage goes the soiled wipes go.

Yes garbage from big bins gets inspected in these parts. Just as all the garbage from the big trucks that go to the land fill do (that is after it has already gone through a check at the local transfer station) looking for unacceptable items in it How do you think they find the plastics in order to change the local government for the infractions?

Document process for disposing of solid waste from a baby diaper? Seriously given the number of children you have I suspect you know the process.

But in case you never did the diaper changes here you go:

From Momtrick.com
"How to Dispose of Diapers (The Right Way!)"

"First of all, if it's at all possible, be sure to dump any feces from the diaper into a toilet. This is pretty obvious: it helps reduce odour and bacteria growth, and just makes it easier to dispose of it without making a mess.

Try to wrap the used diaper up as tightly as possible to reduce risk of spillage. You can use the sticky tape sections to help keep it wrapped up.

Put the diaper in a sealed trash can if possible."

Pretty simple and yup lots of parents do it. Even those living in apartments & even the single moms! Or at least the ones who care to dispose of the diapers in an generally acceptable manner do.

Friends with cats use a little scoop to remove solid waste from the kitty litter & flushing it down the toilet before dumping the soiled litter into the garbage. Scoops are readily available at any pet store and have been for years, suspect even the stores in your area.

As I said, how believable or unbelievable this all seems to some may have a lot to do with the area that you live and what is and what is not considered to be a normal practise in that area.

Heck when I camping in Nevada for example I am taken back by the fact there is more often than not no recycling bins available in State parks camping areas - just one big bin for everything. While on the other hand in a state such as Oregon for example one will find fairly large recycling areas in state campgrounds where one sorts out all your garbage.

No surprise as been discussed here previously there are many folks here who have become so accustomed to recycling they actually carry the recyclables with them from places such as Nevada until they get to a place where there are recycling bins available.

Bottom line is that the OP needs to be aware when traveling that they are no doubt going to be camping in places where the disposal of solid human waste into the garbage is not legal. They may also believe that due to having the bases of a composting waste system that they are doing something good for the environment but the reality is there is little to no composting taking place due to the short time they are leaving the waste in their contained system.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:46 PM   #169

Registry
Quote:
The implication is that if you don't do it Carol's way, you are not suitably developed.
Sorry to disappoint David but I personally had nothing to do with the laws governing the disposal of human waste in this area. Around here its known as the GVRD (Great Vancouver Regional District) way.

Simple sharing the reality of the laws governing the disposal of human and pet waste and how they may differ from one area to another.

No need to take offence to it.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:03 PM   #170

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
David, I presume you still throw your beer cans out your truck window into the ditch?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:27 PM   #171
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Okay. We are way past done. Thread's closed.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Closed Thread

Tags
burro