Sawdust Toilet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Burro, HELIO
Washington
Registry
Sawdust Toilet

I bought a 13 foot Burro last year and since then I've been slowly restoring her. As many of you know, I had her painted to look like an African Elephant to raise awareness of the illegal ivory poaching trade. I took her to Yellowstone this past June and talked to a lot of people along the way! I pull her with a Subaru Forrester, I had her weighed and she weighs about 850 pounds (I removed the extremely heavy refrigerator) I find that a cooler works just as well for my needs and is much less weight.

At any rate, I am thinking of removing the two bunk beds on the hitch end and installing a saw dust toilet with a curtain. For those of you who don't know anything about sawdust toilets, you can google images of them. They look like regular toilet seats but underneath there is a lined 5 gallon bucket filled with sawdust. You do your business, use toilet paper as normal, then you reach in to a reservoir of clean sawdust (in a nearby container) and you scoop out a coffee can sized amount, and you simple sprinkle it on top of the waste, and close the lid. No odor. After a week or so you simply tie up the bag and dispose of it. As long as it is covered with sawdust it can be disposed in any garbage container and is less harmful on the environment than a baby's disposable diaper. I'll post pictures when I'm done. It's easy. Inexpensive, and effective and there is no odor! Trust me! I am going to fashion a sit down toilet on the door side of the trailer on the hitch end and hang a curtain for privacy. The only visible thing will be the toilet seat (on the bench) and underneath in the storage compartment I will cut a hole large enough to hold the 5 gallon waste bucket and build a door to conceal it.

This way, you don't need water to flush (you use hand sanitizer when finished) and you are not constrained to finding a restroom while camping in a crowded area. For any of you guys who travel with women, this is very much appreciated since they find it uncomfortable to go out in the woods.

I'll post pics when I'm done. Before and afters!
Here is a sample pic from the Google Images of Sawdust Toilets.
Attached Thumbnails
thumb_tiny-tack.jpg.662x0_q70_crop-scale_1024 2.jpg  
Old 08-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote: "As long as it is covered with sawdust it can be disposed in any garbage container and is less harmful on the environment than a baby's disposable diaper."

I can't imagine who, other than someone with a sawdust pile they were looking for a use for, would come up with this idea. In more than 50 years of camping and RV'ing this is the first time I have ever heard of it. What is the source ?

Anyway, somehow I just don't think that it will stand up to many local, state and federal waste disposal regulations. You are tossing a bag of urine soaked sawdust, mixed with a weeks supply of human fecal material, into a public trashcan, where there is more than a fair chance that the bag will rupture and spill it's contents. Baby diapers are super absorbent, very strong, compact, and are specifically designed to hold the contents in a safe manner, not so with plastic trash begs.

If you have to dump it anyway, why not use a quality porta-potty, such as the Dometic Sea-Land, with a 5 gallon holding tank, that can be readily dumped into any Loo or even dry toilets in a remote campground.

The ladies I camp with are fine with porta-potties, but would be grossed out with the saw dust idea..... You might want to ask yours first/

BTW: Where will you get a supply of sawdust while camping, by cutting down more trees?????

Old 08-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft 1987
Registry
Good idea. I do a lot of camping, so I have used bucket toilets, but not installed in the trailer. I have also used dry peat moss, either commercially bought or collected in the bush. Very absorbent of moisture and odors.

Edit addition: My bucket toilet system usually uses a commercial, environmentally friendly (bio-degradable) double bag system (i.e.: Wag-Bag / Double Doodie). They have a bio-gel powder to absorb moisture and odor. The peat moss or sawdust is an addition to this, or if you run out of the store bought supplies.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I've read of folks using clumping cat litter in their buckets as it encapsulates everything, is more available on the road, and I'm guessing since kitty urine/poo gets tossed out in the garbage can must not be a hazzard.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Guess again. In our district, you are not allowed to put bio-degradable dog poo bags in the garbage.
And FYI "compostable" means that the material will reduce to soil in a few weeks. "Bio-degradable" means the bag may take up to 10 years to go away.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Quote: "As long as it is covered with sawdust it can be disposed in any garbage container and is less harmful on the environment than a baby's disposable diaper."

I can't imagine who, other than someone with a sawdust pile they were looking for a use for, would come up with this idea. In more than 50 years of camping and RV'ing this is the first time I have ever heard of it. What is the source ?

Anyway, somehow I just don't think that it will stand up to many local, state and federal waste disposal regulations. You are tossing a bag of urine soaked sawdust, mixed with a weeks supply of human fecal material, into a public trashcan, where there is more than a fair chance that the bag will rupture and spill it's contents. Baby diapers are super absorbent, very strong, compact, and are specifically designed to hold the contents in a safe manner, not so with plastic trash begs.

If you have to dump it anyway, why not use a quality porta-potty, such as the Dometic Sea-Land, with a 5 gallon holding tank, that can be readily dumped into any Loo or even dry toilets in a remote campground.

The ladies I camp with are fine with porta-potties, but would be grossed out with the saw dust idea..... You might want to ask yours first/

BTW: Where will you get a supply of sawdust while camping, by cutting down more trees?????
Bob You could always burn the used saw dust in the campfire. You just have to make sure no one is down wind of your fire.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:10 PM   #7

I don't know about burning, some of that stuff might still contain residual methane and be explosive. LOL

Old 08-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #8

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Boy O Boy! I'm with Bob on this!

Few woman I know would want to view their mess... then dig around in a sawdust bucket, adding sawdust, all the time ensuring there was enough sawdust covering the mess!

And, there is no way that there wouldn't be odor! And where would a person find a source of sawdust?

Why not use a proven Porta-Potty? No viewing of the "mess". And a small bottle of chemical will take care of any odors for a week long camping trip.

Bill
Old 08-22-2015, 03:41 PM   #9

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I'm just curious... if we're not supposed to dispose of doggie "bags" in public trash, where are they supposed to go?

My kitty's litter is scooped into a garbage bag, tied, and added to our trash.

Is this human waste/kitty litter procedure different/less environmentally sound?
Old 08-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #10

Washington
Registry
It's not that dramatic. In fact, it's perfectly legal and it's more biodegradable than a pamper diaper. There is absolutely NO ODOR. Sawdust is very light, you can buy a compressed bag at any lumber store for about $3. It lasts more than a year. No mess. No fuss. The urine desiccates and is absorbed by the sawdust. It's been used for decades as a toileting solution and it smells BETTER than a pamper diaper that you would toss in to a garbage can. It is not against any state or federal law. Just like throwing a baby's soiled diaper into a trash can is not against the law. It's biodegradable and does less harm to the environment than black water pumping.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #11

Washington
Registry
Sawdust Toilet!

All done! Did it in one day and one trip to Home Depot/Lowes. Bought a five gallon bucket. Bought some 1/4 ply, cut it to size, purchased a 5 pound bag of compressed sawdust for $1.89 (This will last for a year). Bought a standard toilet seat, hand sanitizer, and some toilet paper.

I still have to paint so excuse the scuff marks. Now I have an eco-friendly inside toilet that is completely odorless. Years ago I dated a woman who lived in a cabin the the remote foothills of New Mexico (in the Pecos). She had a sawdust toilet in her cabin. We used it for three years. It was in her home, in the master bathroom. There is absolutely no odor. You change the bag once a week or whenever you need to.

Here are the steps.
1. Use the restroom
2. Use toilet paper as you normally would
3. Reach in to the CLEAN sawdust bin next to the toilet and scoop up a coffee can full of clean, dry sawdust
4. Cover the waste.
5. Close the lid of the toilet
6. Wash your hands
7. Done. No water. Except for hand washing or you can use hand sanitizer instead.

Here are pictures. Remember, I still need to paint and tidy up but it's installed and ready for use! People in big cities use these inside their apartments and condos if they need an extra toilet for their family. Don't knock it till you try it.
Disposing of the waste is easy and legal. It's actually more eco friendly than a pamper's diaper that has a plastic liner. It saves hundreds of gallons of water that can be used for better purposes anyway!

The toilet seat is mounted on a piece of plywood that lifts off of the surface to the bucket underneath can be lifted straight up and out. Alternatively, you can build a door that opens under the base cabinet but then you'd have to cut in to the material. I just utilized a spot that was access for storage. It's still accessible and this toilet can EASILY be removed. Simply remove the bucket underneath and replace the toilet seat top with any other hard covering.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0357.JPG   IMG_0354.JPG  

IMG_0356.JPG  
Old 08-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #12

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Gee whiz (HAHA I MADE A PUN) not all women get the vapors from basic body functions.

Depending on context this does not seem unreasonable to me.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #13

So, when the park ranger gets on my case about dumping human waste into the trash dumpster I just tell him that John Colangelo said that it legal and OK? Again, real references are what are needed.

A baby's diaper is an engineered and approved method for disposal of small amounts of human waste in a sealed package, a trash bag full of poop and sawdust just doesn't meet that criteria.

And what reference is there for your claim: "People in big cities use these inside their apartments and condos if they need an extra toilet for their family."
I've lived in "Big Cities" for most of my life and have never heard of anyone doing this. A Porta-Potty? Yes, but not this system.

Do you have some real references for this method of human waste disposal, and how is it even equal to, much less better than, a conventional porta-potty such as the Dometic Sea-Land unit?

This might fly in the boonies of New Mexico, but I am sure it will be frowned upon in any of the local, state and National Parks.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #14
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
A simple google search asking " can I place human waste in the trash" comes up with a resounding NO in Minnesota! The exception is baby diapers but other that if it is not explicitly illegal in your district it is viewed as irresponsible. Sawdust covers fecal material does not seem to meet the criteria of "treated waste". Rainwater runoff is a huge concern. I don't doubt while the garbage bag is in your possession it will not get punctured or ripped but you have no control over what happens once you toss it in the campground garbage can.
Please don't kill the messenger, do your own search.
Sid
Old 08-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
A simple google search asking " can I place human waste in the trash" comes up with a resounding NO in Minnesota! The exception is baby diapers but other that if it is not explicitly illegal in your district it is viewed as irresponsible. Sawdust covers fecal material does not seem to meet the criteria of "treated waste". Rainwater runoff is a huge concern. I don't doubt while the garbage bag is in your possession it will not get punctured or ripped but you have no control over what happens once you toss it in the campground garbage can.
Please don't kill the messenger, do your own search.
Sid
Many of the public campgrounds in our area no longer supply trash bins. IE If you bring it in ,you haul it out. If the OP is willing to haul his waste home in his vehicle and dispose of it in the proscribed manner, I see no issue. Not my cup of tea but to each their own.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #16

CA
Still looking for answers... if it's OK (or not OK) to dispose of doggie pooh-bags and where, and how is human waste different from kitty waste in kitty litter?

In the meantime, in looking for answers, I found this article about new technology (too expensive for Rv's but very interesting new methods)

This Is What A Toilet Looks Like When Bill Gates Is Involved | Co.Exist | ideas + impact

LP (still researching)
Old 08-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #17

CA
OK, maybe I *am* OCD when it comes to research...

WARNING. This post may contain Too Much Information for some readers.

This topic interests me, because I researched it up and down several years ago. I was alarmed to read negative comments about disposal.

So, I went looking for LEGAL information about disposal. So far, I've found very little, except some references to state and national park rules that dry campers haul their stuff back out. But where/how to dispose? That's a bit more murky.

First of all, I found a few articles of interest.

This Is What A Toilet Looks Like When Bill Gates Is Involved | Co.Exist | ideas + impact

https://www.trails.com/how_838_homem...ng-toilet.html

Then some details on hardware. Not a disposal solution, but I like the outdoor structure they built... (for very remote campsites)

Some legal bits I found about the product which will follow: "Authorities required these for our backcountry permits. They worked where cat holes weren't permitted," "Served us well for our 4 man Utah river and canyonlands 2 week trip - where regulations required that we had to collect, pack out and dispose of our human waste."

The product they refer to above is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Produ...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Just so you all know how thorough I can be, I read ALL 25 PAGES of user reviews on the "Double Doodie Toilet."

Some users complained of leaking bags, but the overall approval was so high, I suspect those who complained were guilty of user error.

The upshot of this seems to be "double bagging." One bag with bio gel, then sealed inside another bag with sturdy ziplocks (the double doodie bag combines these two and the gel), which is then disposed in regular trash.

In the 25 pages I read, I didn't find any information about this disposal being inappropriate or illegal. If there is something else out there on the web about disposal, I'd really like to know about it!

Some users said this product was too expensive, and that regular kitchen bags work as well. I'm not certain about this, but might consider it safe IF a bio gel (or kitty litter) were combined with the waste and then this bag were sealed inside another bag. There was also mention of adult diaper material being used as an absorbent.

Why am I so interested in this topic? A comment from one of these reviewers kind of summed it up: "This was a life-saver on my camping trip! Very simplistic and there were no leaks! It was nice not having to brave the porta potties in the dark after being heavily used throughout the day by drunk people."

Full confession: After my heavy research several years ago, I purchased a "Luggable Loo." When it arrived, I was a bit non-plussed by the big *advertisement* on the outside of the bucket. (I could have just ordered the snap on lid/seat, but hadn't discovered that yet). Tried removing the big label, but it was on too solidly. So instead decided to use a 3 gallon sized dry laundry detergent bucket from Costco, which seemed a bit more stealth and unobtrusive.

Camping blogs I looked into back then recommended sawdust or kitty litter. I decided kitty litter would be more "trashable," since sawdust seems more geared for those who are actually composting the waste. But I didn't want to carry a bag of kitty litter, and I didn't want to have to scoop something.

So, an empty Clorox 2 bottle fit the bill. Washed out and dried, it was easy to fill it with good quality kitty litter via a funnel. The bottle has a good handle, is unobtrusive, and litter can simply be poured via the spout.

This little setup stayed in the back corner of the tent, and was kept closed and covered with a towel. It made a handy stool for putting on boots. There was no aroma whatsoever. The contents were changed out regularly, double-bagged, and disposed of.

I believe the disposal they received met the regulations put forth by park services and other regulators I've been able to discover so far.

I do like this Double Doodie bag concept, and will probably try it, while adding diaper biogel to the litter mixture.

With apologies for possible TMI,

LP
Old 08-23-2015, 12:44 AM   #18

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
No offense to the OP or to anyone who disagrees with him, but it makes little difference if human waste is disposed of (mixed with sawdust) in the trash or if it goes down the sewer. In the sawdust case, it goes to a landfill, and biodegrades. If it goes down the sewer, its treated at the water treatment plant where it's separated from the water. The biosolids (processed sludge) that are left are given to farms as fertilizer, buried in landfills or incinerated. So, sewer disposal means eventual use as fertilizer or as landfill mass, and sawdust toilet waste as landfill mass.

I'm not speaking to the legalities, since they can differ greatly from place to place - just the fact that they both can wind up at the same place.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:57 AM   #19

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
I thought this crappy discussion deserved some real answers, so I spent the better part of an hour researching. Like Ellpea, I found solid info hard to produce. Although there were tons of laws on how a landfill should be constructed and how a waste company should transport and dispose of waste, I could find no federal laws that govern small scale disposal. The Forest Service, National Parks, and BLM have various rules and regs, some sites advocating 'cat holes', others 'pack it in, pack it out'; but when it comes to disposal, most say to 'dispose of in an appropriate fashion' or something along those lines. Drop toilets are often mentioned as sites for disposing of waste accumulated during a camp trip, along with requests to not dispose of waste in plastic bags down a vault or drop toilet. RV dump stations are mentioned often, but no plastic bags there either. The only place I could find specific laws regarding disposal of human waste on small scales was at the county/municipality level, and there it varied from one place to another. In example, King County (Seattle, WA) says:

Dispose of human fecal waste in the public sanitary sewer or in an approved on-site sewage disposal system.
Disposable diapers, adult incontinence products, and other materials contaminated with feces may be thrown out in the regular garbage if they are placed in a sealed plastic bag.

It would appear that one could drop a bag full of sawdust and human waste in any dumpster there (under the 'other materials contaminated with feces' phrase) and be perfectly legal.

Here's an interesting bag product that is apparently legally disposable in regular garbage containers and approved by parks, etc: RESTOP - Portable & Disposable Human Waste Solutions - Our Products

I've given up on excreting any solid answer through research because I'm tired of the whole stinking subject.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:28 AM   #20

After all this research and posts I still can't see how the sawdust toilet has any place in the RV world, much less how it is even equal to, much less better than a conventional porta-potty. Nor have I seen any creditable references to support the claims being made about supposed safety and legality of this method of disposing of human waste.

If the real reason is that it is a "Cheaper way out", lets call it that, and not attempt to disguise what it basically a bad idea, as the newest answer to waste disposal.

If someone is that strapped for cash, I have a porta-potty on my spares shelf I would be willing to donate just to keep these bags of excrement out of the trash at a campground.

Closed Thread

Tags
burro