Sawdust Toilet - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #101

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Glenn
I'm glad someone picked up on that
Coment

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #102

Name: Katy
Trailer: Burro 13ft
Washington, D.C.
Firstly, I joined FGRV.com a little while ago right before I bought my 13ft Burro in June and finally would like to make a post. Not about towing, or how to reseal my windows, or DIY fiberglass tips, but about poop...

I truly appreciate all the varying opinions and views and while it has been heated at times I think the common theme of trying to do what is best for both the environment and for public health is key.

So thank you all, as I research options on how best to handle human waste in an RV I will keep these all in mind. As someone who lived in rural Africa for almost 3 years and used a pit latrine, I find the sawdust option appealing, especially if you plan to compost it yourself. I unfortunately live in an urban area and don't have that option. So to find another option that is legal yet environmentally friendly is what I'm looking for.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #103

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that about the only real discussion on waste storage and disposal in FGRV's you will find from about 99% of those on this site, is the issue of Porta-Potties vs. Holding Tanks. With 99% in that vein, unless someone was really intent on reinventing the wheel, I think that you have been offered an answer to your problem and situation.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #104

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
I live in upstate NY. There are numerous landfills within driving range. I have been to the garbage transfer station. They mix the recycle bin material in with the regular garbage. It all goes to the landfill. Really. Across the street I watch dairy farmers pumping cow dung mixed with water in a slurry on the fields, followed by a good dosing throughout the year of herbicides and pesticides, only to watch the rain water wash it into the rivers and creeks. Every couple of years I see the local wastewater treatment plant overflow into the local river. I watch idiots pour fertilizer, herbicides and pesticides on their yard after they decide marigolds are beautiful but dandelions are the scourge of the earth. Where do you think those bags of Scott's environment ruin-ers go that they sell at HD and Lowes? My bag of doo-doo from camping isn't the real problem. I'm not saying two wrongs don't make a right, but don't think your solution is better than somebody elses. It's all a compromise.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #105

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Steve in NY...that was exactly my point made earlier: it's all a compromise. However we seem to heat or light out homes, manufacture products, drive our vehicles, fertilize and grow food, throw out our trash, use water or don't use water, dispose of our blood, urine and fecal products, there are environmental costs for everything we do.

Not stirring up the pot again, just saying that current human life on earth poses environmental costs/threats daily. The earth and it's waters have long ago become a toilet for the activities of human life. The current crisis in the United States, at least in my newspaper, focuses on the lack of fresh water. in developed. Atkins with I door plumbing, pits dug in the earth or sawdust toilets probably seem gross to most, but then again, they're not using water either.

I respect and appreciate the passion here, as Steve said posters are obviously showing concern for the environment. But depending On where you live, that will vary. I honestly am not sure what is the best solution to all of it. Especially in high consuming nations like the US

All we can do is stick to our own convictions and after presentation of the options, make an I formed decision that seems to hold.merit. Some here are concerned about water usage while others landfills. I hope I've expressed this clearly, as perhaps it depends on your slant. As no research is free from bias, and often $$$ poured in from keenly interested third parties, one must conclude at this point the entire world is scrambling with how to best deal with all environmental problems. And right: Columbia doesn't guarantee a separation from bias, greed and all the other ills of the human race, along with massive population expansion, habitat destruction etc. that have us where we have arrived. That you all are concerned about it is the better, and more promising picture of hopeful healing for our only planet earth.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #106

New York
Registry
Developed nations, not Atkins.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #107

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You realize that rain falls on the land fills and that rain becomes ground water and enters streams and rivers, don't you?
Old 09-03-2015, 05:46 PM   #108

New York
Registry
Yes Glen. I'm sorry I wasn't looking for an argument. Your point proves my point: environmental problems are often not linear in causation. They overlap. That we are all concerned and wish to address them in a way that makes sense to us is a start. As we learn in school: we must analyze and evaluate all points for their merit, and decide what research seems most valley able to us and act on it. All research is fallible and subjective, just like the people who end up reading or using it.

I was simply trying to highlight other strengths of this thread: that we all have ideas on how to help our earth and in our own lives, are taking action Which we see as just and fit. That's all there is.

I

Old 09-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #109

I think that this horse is dead, why don't we all just get off.....

Old 09-04-2015, 06:18 AM   #110

Name: Maud
Trailer: 1985 13' Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Has no one considered just using a chamber pot and then walking it to the vault toilet in the morning?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 09-04-2015, 07:17 AM   #111

That's making a giant assumption that one will always be where there is a toilet for disposal in the morning. On a given trip we will stay in everything from a Wal-Mart parking lot, to BLM lands, to campgrounds, often without a suitable disposal location in sight.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #112

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maud View Post
Has no one considered just using a chamber pot and then walking it to the vault toilet in the morning?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
LOL Many here do just as you describe but in this day and age they are more frequently called a porta potty rather than a chamber pot.

One does not need to go with the standard Camping World issued porta potty though if one is wishing to be a bit of a red neck the design options of the DIY are endless.
Attached Thumbnails
a.aaa.jpg   bdonallanstruck.jpg  

enhanced-buzz-2793-1301951254-57.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #113

Me thinks that a "Chanmber Pot" is something that has to be emptied every day, whereas a "Porta Potty" does not need to be emptied in the morning and can go up to a week before needing attention.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #114

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I thought we were leaving this behind.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #115

That is the problem
To many people think it's okay to leave it behind
And i say
That is Wrong!!!!

Old 09-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #116

Kinda like all those folks that walk there dog and never clean up after them.... Or those that clean up and then drop the doggie bag on the sidewalk..... Wrong Wrong Wrong

Old 09-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
That is the problem
To many people think it's okay to leave it behind
And i say
That is Wrong!!!!

I think that it was meant to leave the topic of Sawdust Toilets behind, not the contents thereof.... LOL

Old 09-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #118

Well aware of that
Just making my political statement
Lol

Old 09-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #119

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
To paraphrase Walter Lippmann... "the facts exceed my curiosity." Heard that on an NPR piece yesterday, and this thread came instantly to mind.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #120

Name: Bex
Trailer: Casita
California
There are a few composting toilets available. The "cadillac" of composting toilets is the Natures Head. It's really popular and a very popular youtuber couple, Gone with the Wynns, have one!
https://youtu.be/_E2xOoNov9s

I bought and installed a C-head in my little trailer!
https://youtu.be/DxTOjS4puss
Closed Thread

Tags
burro