Sawdust Toilet - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #121

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yes, the Wynn's are certainly a very popular Youtubing couple. Did I say the RONCO of RV'ing? I didn't think so....
I have heard this reference for the wonder of the Natures head at least 50 times and every one was linked to the Wynns Youtube. Hasn't anyone else ever bought one?????

Old 09-04-2015, 07:17 PM   #122

Name: Bex
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Yes, the Wynn's are certainly a very popular Youtubing couple. Did I say the RONCO of RV'ing? I didn't think so....
I have heard this reference for the wonder of the Natures head at least 50 times and every one was linked to the Wynns Youtube. Hasn't anyone else ever bought one?????
Yes, there are hundreds of youtube videos. Just do a search for "natures head composting toilet" and you'll find more than you could ever watch. I'm sure people link to the Wynn's because they are RVer's too and their video quality is top notch. But there are lots of people putting them in their tiny houses too. I'm sure lot's more people using them in boats and tiny homes than RV's.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:24 PM   #123

Name: David
Trailer: shopping
British Columbia
i have a cabin on airBNB using such a toilet. (the toilet is in an outhouse style structure) Women are my main customers and so far, they ALL loved the sawdust toilet. poop covered with moist saw dust does not smell at all. it is the urine that cause most of the smell. if you can rig up a urine separation system, that is 90pc of the battle right there.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:44 PM   #124

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
All this talk of stirring the pot and making assumptions. And urine, gee whiz!

Old 09-06-2015, 01:18 AM   #125

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Anybody else think that this thread has run the course of back and forth and need to be locked?
Old 09-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #126

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Maybe it should be "eliminated"😅

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #127

Name: Moe
Trailer: In the market
Alaska
I think this all boils down to each individual's world view. Some folks here are into simplifies their camping experience. Others are into the "tiny house" movement, or in other ways trying to lessen their impact on the environment. I am a nurse rapidly approaching retirement age, a field archaeologist, very much into the organic movement, AND into cutting down the weight of my rig. This topic has been very helpful and very relevant to me, both in remote field environments and for extended boondocking. I just wanted to thank everyone for their input before the topic was closed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 09-06-2015, 05:02 PM   #128

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that at least 98% of us on this site are all for protecting the environment.
But I just can't understand how/when using a system that requires frequent dumping of double plastic bagged human waste and buying $4 (plastic again) bags of sawdust helps do that in the RV arena. Porta-potty waste goes into a recognized waste disposal system, without adding more plastics to the waste stream, and we have no fears of doing so illegally or in a manner dangerous to others.

For a remote location or a cabin in the woods it makes sense, for an RV it seems counter productive to the environment when other, more environmentally secure systems, are readily available.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #129

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm offering DIY sawdust. I have a couple trees here. You can have 'em cheap. Bring your own saw and chipper ( no gas engines please ).
Old 09-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #130

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
Here's the ultimate solution: become a fecal transplant donor!

Fecal Transplants To Pay Off Your Debt? How Donating Your Poop Could Earn You $13,000 And Save Lives

No sawdust required and according to the article you can make $40/donation; up to $13k/year.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #131

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I am so glad this thread wasn't closed. Best idea I've seen in ages.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #132

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
If the infrastructure ever collapses and there's no regular water supply, a quantity of sawdust could be very useful.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:09 AM   #133

Name: Moe
Alaska
I agree that bagging poo is a bad idea. The whole idea behind a composting toilet is to compost. The results from using a good composting toilet is a dry mix that looks like peat loam... Fairbanks AK does this process on a giant scale and uses 'humanuer' compost in their landscaping. Many folks pick it up for free from the treatment facility and use it in their gardens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 09-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #134

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I am so glad this thread wasn't closed. Best idea I've seen in ages.
Well, if you suffered a case of intractable C-diff and were on the verge of death, the idea of possible salvation due to a fecal transplant might suddenly seem like the best idea you've ever heard of.

(as someone whose 90 y/o mom contracted C-diff in a rehab facility, ask me how I know. NO, we didn't get to the transplant stage, we were able to get this under control by combining conventional medicine with holistic treatments. But had this not worked, a transplant or death were the only other alternatives.)
Old 09-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #135

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
If the infrastructure ever collapses and there's no regular water supply, a quantity of sawdust could be very useful.
No kidding. People might be trading their worthless gold and silver for a few bags of valuable sawdust!
Old 09-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #136

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Ha! If the infrastructure collapses, and there is no regular water supply....where you place your poop will be be the least of your concerns!

Just finding water to drink, and food to eat, so you can continue to live. will be all you will be thinking about!

All concerns about damaging the environment will be only memories of a lost paradise.

Try to enjoy your life...because the fat lady has started to sing....

Bill
Old 09-10-2015, 08:54 AM   #137

Name: Mary&Glenn
Louisiana
Live and learn. My own dad made a toilet enclosure from an old telephone booth and placed a 5 gal.bucket in it. I was just 8 so not sure what was used in the bucket. Just glad to have the convience in the woods!
Old 09-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #138

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When I bought my property in Wisconsin one of the first things I built was an outhouse.
The outhouse is lined in knotty pine , has insulated walls ,electric lights , electric heat ,a skylight , one way glass in the door so you can see out but not in ,an LED Exit light above the door .a GFCI outlet ,a mirror . a bin containing barn lime and a magazine rack. The hole in the ground is lined with 55 gallon plastic barrels to confine the waste and allow for pumping.
BUT NO SAWDUST. Has worked great for 25 years and meets the sanitary code.
We have the best outhouse in the neighborhood!!
Old 09-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #139

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When I bought my property in Wisconsin one of the first things I built was an outhouse.
The outhouse is lined in knotty pine , has insulated walls ,electric lights , electric heat ,a skylight , one way glass in the door so you can see out but not in ,an LED Exit light above the door .a GFCI outlet ,a mirror . a bin containing barn lime and a magazine rack. The hole in the ground is lined with 55 gallon plastic barrels to confine the waste and allow for pumping.
BUT NO SAWDUST. Has worked great for 25 years and meets the sanitary code.
We have the best outhouse in the neighborhood!!
Steve, compared to the outhouse my grandparents had, your outhouse is a marvelous building! However, while the only paper available in my grandparents' outhouse was an old Sear Catalog, it did have a two-hole seat!

When about 10-years old I spent one winter with my grandparents. I'll never forget the "joy" of running thru the snow to get out of the North wind, and then sitting on the bench seat with the cold wind blowing across my bottom!

Bill
Old 09-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #140

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Steve, compared to the outhouse my grandparents had, your outhouse is a marvelous building! However, while the only paper available in my grandparents' outhouse was an old Sear Catalog, it did have a two-hole seat!

When about 10-years old I spent one winter with my grandparents. I'll never forget the "joy" of running thru the snow to get out of the North wind, and then sitting on the bench seat with the cold wind blowing across my bottom!

Bill
The cold air in winter still comes down the vent pipe and cools your bottom so I only read short stories. I worked for Montgomery Ward for 30 years and had access to plenty of catalogs but I never could bring myself to dishonor my employer in such a fashion.
One good thing was when it's 30 below ,there is no smell and no bugs.
I always wanted the luxury of a 2 holer to avoid any wait and maybe someday I will add an additional hole!
Closed Thread

Tags
burro