Scamp 13' 1997 questions from newbie - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #1

Name: SueC123
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Scamp 13' 1997 questions from newbie

Hi all, I bought a used 1997 13' Scamp. I have some questions. How does one go about putting anything on the walls with the ratfur on it? I need to add some storage somehow. Also, I don't think i'll use the stove, (much) any idea on a cover for it that won't slide around? I also bought some vinyl to go over the carpet but read some posts and now think that's not a good idea. So I might just lay another piece of carpet/rug down. I'm just not thrilled with this ratfur stuff. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Old 06-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #2

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
We use Velcro to attach light weight things to the Ratfur. Works very well. And we liked throw rugs when we had a carpeted Scamp. Easier to shake out.

John

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #3

Name: Bill & Sandra Hanna
Trailer: 19' 2011 Escape
Texas
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Some folks have used wig T pins to hang decorations and lightweight wire baskets. Some have used upholstery tacks that have a tiny corkscrew pin. We simply got creative and used our top bunk and decorative fabric boxes to store groceries, emergency supplies, and doggie items. It looked neat and tidy. We also did the same thing but just put the boxes in the cars trunk after setup. Keeps order and let's you use the sofa!
Old 06-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #4

One way to cover the stove

We had the same issue about workspace over the stove. So, I took a nylon/plastic cutting board and cut out a space to fit around the faucet base. That gives us a flat workspace when cooking. To use it over the burners, I screwed two rubber spacers into the cutting board. They are about 3/4" long. I placed them so they would sit down into the inset where the knobs are. That keeps the board from sliding. With that, we have a workspace over the burner. (The burner grill has to be removed). For safety, I always pull the knobs off before covering the. Runners.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:08 AM   #5

Name: Sabrina
California
Have you put shelves in your closet yet? Great ideas to be had on this site! I also installed a shelf from side to side across the front and use see through boxes for storage.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1433740072.202673.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	85054

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-08-2015, 05:54 AM   #6

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Sue and Welcome,

I've used coo and hooks to attach items such as coffee mugs and whisk broom, but attached to fiberglass bit above rat fur under sink.

At a nice lady's suggestion here, I went to SAMs club and bought a huge baking sheet pan made of aluminum that fits nicely over stovetop. Functions as prep area.

I also zip tied little storage baskets to the metal support poles that hold things such as my keys and spices.

Further I used some leftover cedar plywood from my cabinet shelving, and made a little work top area that fits squarely into my silverware drawer when pulled out. I also bought bathroom storage wire baskets that have suction cups on them for other items. Myself, I wouldn't hang anything off the marine fabric. Oh yeah, I also bought a nursery organizer from walmart and hung over cabinet door.

Best wishes my dear. If you need further info or pics, just holler!

Wendy. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1433760787.142289.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  14.8 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-08-2015, 05:56 AM   #7

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Word at beginning is supposed to be command hooks at walmart. Stick on and work well. I bought the ones with the metal prongs/hooks

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-08-2015, 10:02 AM   #8

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueC123 View Post
Hi all, I bought a used 1997 13' Scamp. I have some questions. How does one go about putting anything on the walls with the ratfur on it? I need to add some storage somehow. Also, I don't think i'll use the stove, (much) any idea on a cover for it that won't slide around? I also bought some vinyl to go over the carpet but read some posts and now think that's not a good idea. So I might just lay another piece of carpet/rug down. I'm just not thrilled with this ratfur stuff. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
If you want vinyl flooring you should remove the carpet in the area that you wish to install it. We installed pergo type flooring in the kitchen/entrance area and left it on the rear step area and under the dinette. It was a simple process involving a razor knife and a scraper.

You really should be thrilled with the ratfur, it is the best system in use in molded fiberglass. You will discover that over time.

Our stove cover was built by Rod Cranston then finished and modified by me. It doubles as extra counter space or a side table when locked into the LH drawer. It is a simple frame made from oak and topped with 1/4" oak veneer plywood. It is stable, fits snugly and doesn't slide around.

Here's a picture of our stove cover...
Attached Thumbnails
Pic013.JPG   DSCF0031.JPG  

DSCF0034.JPG  
Old 06-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Thanks everyone for the good ideas! I only have 1 drawer under the stove. I pulled it out and the front broke off. Turns out the slider things were sliding on a piece of that particle board that it looks like is attached to the bottom of the stove. So now I have a ugly hole and ugly end of board showing. I do not have a sofa, this is the floorplan with the bed/table combo and toilet room in the front with no shower. No a/c or heat but has a fridge. It was HOT in there yesterday while I was trying to figure out shelves for the closets.. I know absolutely nothing about campers, i'm moving up from a tent. Anyway, I love this board and all the helpful suggestions! I was going to try to upload some pics but it wants the URL and I have them in a documents folder, so until I figure that out, no pics! :-)
Old 06-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #10

Wisconsin
Oh, another thing, is it ok to do all these modifications people do as far as resale? I thought it was always best to leave as original as possible..
Old 06-08-2015, 04:38 PM   #11

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueC123 View Post
Oh, another thing, is it ok to do all these modifications people do as far as resale? I thought it was always best to leave as original as possible..
There is really no big interest in "restored to original" when it comes to fiberglass trailers.
Good mods can actually enhance the value of an old travel trailer.
Of course poorly done mods or mods in poor taste may not add value , in fact they could return less than they cost.
Common sense is a good guide, If you think your work turned out desirable, it is likely that someone else will as well.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #12

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
I keep forgetting to take a photo of these inside of our closet, but I bought four of the basic stacking baskets from the container store, and they fit perfectly inside of our closet (we have a 1982 Scamp). http://www.containerstore.com/shop/s...006896&N=71232

I'm also coming from 20+ years of tent camping and this will be our first foray into camper camping. I'm having a hard time deciding what goes into the camper and what stays packed in the car. At this point, I've decided everything except food and the cooking stove/supplies, camp chairs and day back packs should have a space in the camper.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #13

Name: Raquel
New Mexico
If you are on Facebook check out the group Scamp Travel Trailers for good ideas.

Tags
scamp