Scamp 13 a/c roof support and lights - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Posts: 199
Scamp 13 a/c roof support and lights

I want to install a couple of lights on the roof of the scamp. Lights on amazon. I have found a picture of what the roof support looks like, but from the picture it looks like i should be able to feel the transition at the back near the fantastic fan where the support stops. I have tried feeling around on the whole roof and I do not feel any height differences through the rat fur.
Can anyone else chime in on this? If the wood is there it would be very easy to attach the lights with some small screws, but if it isn't there I will have to find a new idea. At this point, obviously i have an a/c so the support is there, but i don't know how far it extends past the a/c cutout. I guess i can take off the a/c shroud on the inside of the scamp and look around that way, but looking for input before i go through the trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed.jpg  
__________________

Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 7,329
Registry
Scamp's roof reinforcement for A/C only involves an extra layer of fiberglass cloth, no wood.
__________________

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Scamp's roof reinforcement for A/C only involves an extra layer of fiberglass cloth, no wood.
My a/c shroud (on the inside) has screws at both ends that keep it attached to the roof. Does scamp screw right into the fiberglass? I would image they would have to be very short screws in order to not pierce through the roof?
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
My a/c shroud (on the inside) has screws at both ends that keep it attached to the roof. Does scamp screw right into the fiberglass? I would image they would have to be very short screws in order to not pierce through the roof?
Exactly... see OK, here's my new toy!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Exactly... see OK, here's my new toy!
Thanks Gordon, it looks like i will have to figure something else out for my lights. I will check my screws when i clean the a/c at the end of the season, scamp does a pretty good job of at least putting silicon on any penetration to keep the water out. It does make me feel like its another one of scamps shortcuts though and makes me see why an Airstream costs so much more than a scamp.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
Thanks Gordon, it looks like i will have to figure something else out for my lights. I will check my screws when i clean the a/c at the end of the season, scamp does a pretty good job of at least putting silicon on any penetration to keep the water out. It does make me feel like its another one of scamps shortcuts though and makes me see why an Airstream costs so much more than a scamp.
Yes there are many places where Scamps are minimal compared to other campers (including cost).

In the long term, silicone will not stop water where there is penetration. For things like the bath vent however (where IIRC there are ten screws penetrations), Scamp will use silicone around the perimeter but its the butyl under the flange that actually stops leaks.

You could "glass in" some wood blocks for your lights, like I did for the A/C air box screws, but then you still have to figure how how to run wiring. If it were me I would find another way to handle your lighting needs.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Yes there are many places where Scamps are minimal compared to other campers (including cost).

In the long term, silicone will not stop water where there is penetration. For things like the bath vent however (where IIRC there are ten screws penetrations), Scamp will use silicone around the perimeter but its the butyl under the flange that actually stops leaks.

You could "glass in" some wood blocks for your lights, like I did for the A/C air box screws, but then you still have to figure how how to run wiring. If it were me I would find another way to handle your lighting needs.
Wiring i don't think is too big of an issue, i'm sure i could fish the wire either to the vent fan or one of the top cabinets. I specifically selected lights with their own switches. I just want some light to come down from the top as the lights scamp puts in are all down low, basically task lighting. I'll think of something just have to get more creative.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
Wiring i don't think is too big of an issue, i'm sure i could fish the wire either to the vent fan or one of the top cabinets. I specifically selected lights with their own switches. I just want some light to come down from the top as the lights scamp puts in are all down low, basically task lighting. I'll think of something just have to get more creative.
Let us know what you decide.. I have also wanted lights mounted higher but have not done more than think about it.

I did attach a LED string to the rat fur with safety pins as a test. It was powered from a battery pack at one end. The strip I had was way too blueish so I took it down, but other strips have better quality light, many are dim able and some are multi-color. A few people have done that mod.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Posts: 199
Gordon my first idea was to use a warm white led strip with an aluminum extrusion as a diffuser, this really helps make the led strips nicer to look at. However, the amazon round lights have their own switches and look to have less weight to them. I was thinking of just putting in a piece of aluminum under the rat fur to attach the lights to, but i'm worried over time the weight would cause the rat fur to sag. I may just end up glassing in thin wood blocks, this project will probably be pushed to next year since its harder than i thought.

Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Posts: 132
I don't know how much of a project you desire to do.

For less than $20 you could put a piece of adhesive velcro on the back of an inflatable Luci light and attach it to the rat fur anywhere in the trailer. These lights are solar rechargeable and can be taken outside for a picnic table. They provide enough light to read by and come in several options for brightness. I use them in my trailer and have no connections to the corporation.
Attached Thumbnails
10374193_zm.jpeg  
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Posts: 199
Rich, thanks for the recommendation, i am going after something a little more factory looking and hardwired. I have a few ideas, just the time to go through with them is the issue!
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Name: Gary
Trailer: Scamp
Mass
Posts: 11
been there glued that

I didn't want to add any new holes to the roof of my Scamp, so I did the following.

1.Made a 14" plywood mount for the lights. routing a small chase for the wires out one side.
2. Ran the 18 gauge wiring by fishing it from the bench seat up behind the rat fur. You should be able to do this with a stiff (fish) electrical snake.
3. Cut a hole in the rat fur about 1/4" smaller than the plywood base
4. wired the lights
5. Using strong construction adhesive I glued the plywood base and light to the exposed fiberglass, and tucked the rafter under the edge.

See my blog. It has pictures.

My Scamp Fiberglass Egg Camper: uplifting delight
Garyscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:46 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft.
Virginia
Posts: 4
Roof support

I did a video on how a Scamp is built......last year. It shows the roof support for an unit with an A.C. being I installed in it. My Scamp Adventages.........John Holderfield.
holderfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:32 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,949
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
My a/c shroud (on the inside) has screws at both ends that keep it attached to the roof. Does scamp screw right into the fiberglass? I would image they would have to be very short screws in order to not pierce through the roof?
My Coleman Mini-Mach A/C is not attached with screws into the fiberglass. It is mounted with spring loaded machine screws to an inside bracket through the standard 14X14 opening, and sealed to the roof with a gasket.
How about mounting LEDs in the A/C shroud?
__________________

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light, lights, scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scamp Roof Support 16' (maybe 13' too) Johnny M Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 18 07-12-2017 06:14 AM
a matter of roof support Cat futrell Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 02-11-2013 09:01 PM
Brake Lights, Turn signal lights, marker lights, oh my! glamourpets Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 19 01-03-2013 10:10 AM
Must the Scamp have internal wall & roof support? Input appreciated! Bert Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 04-07-2012 09:47 PM
Support in roof of Compact II for a/c? Pat Goodwin Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 13 01-27-2009 10:40 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.