scamp 13 brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #1

Name: jon
Trailer: Scamp 13
Washington
scamp 13 brakes

hi forum members,
i am thinking about adding brakes to my scamp 13. i have already set the car up and routed the necessary wiring within the car. my question is;
if someone out there has had experience with this, where should the brake control wires be routed within the scamp??????
i know where the wires start and where they need to end, but how do i get them to their destination???

thanks,
jon dsw
sequim, wa
jondsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondsw View Post
hi forum members,
i am thinking about adding brakes to my scamp 13. i have already set the car up and routed the necessary wiring within the car. my question is;
if someone out there has had experience with this, where should the brake control wires be routed within the scamp??????
i know where the wires start and where they need to end, but how do i get them to their destination???

thanks,
jon dsw
sequim, wa
There is really only one supply wire to run the way it is done OEM. ( Scamp usually uses Blue)
You can run it inside the body of the trailer back along the left side, then drop it through the floor to the left side brake, continuing across the floor underneath behind the axle to the right side brake. This one supply wire supplies both brakes as one. Each of the other two wires is grounded with a lug to the frame on each side of the trailer. With this approach the ground wire in the trailer harness RV plug must also be securely grounded to the frame as well.

An alternative would be to run two wires all the way back and return your ground hardwired through the harness. In either case the brakes are to be wired in parallel to a single source.

If you choose to run a Breakaway switch, it will need to share the ground with the brakes as well as being spliced into the supply line to the brakes
As per instructions it will need to be wired to the trailer battery, both ground and switch.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Jon
If you have a S-13 with forward facing axle the brake backer plates need to be reversed.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:33 PM   #4

Name: jon
Trailer: Scamp 13
Washington
brakes re; the axle

eddie,
can you clarify what the 'forward facing' axle means? does it mean that the arms at the end of the axle come forward? i.e. the tires mount forward of the axle. or something else?

thanks,
jondsw
jondsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Jon
If you have a S-13 with forward facing axle the brake backer plates need to be reversed.
Eddie
Isn't left still left and right still right? Please explain.
Are you assuming an axle replacement in which the axle orientation might affect brake orientation?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Sounds like a great opportunity to take everything to an RV or trailer shop to get it all checked out and the controller installed..... There are too many questions on the table right now and safety may be compromised if they are not answered correctly.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:26 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Floyd you are correct. I was assuming an axle replacement may be involved if he was dealing with an older foreward facing axle. If you are putting brakes on a currently installed axle right is right and left is left.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, scamp