Scamp 13' Front Dinette Addition - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #1

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
Scamp 13' Front Dinette Addition

Dan and I decided to add a front dinette to our new (to us) Scamp 13. We dug in after looking at several posts and pictures here on the forum. (thank you all for sharing!). At first we cut out the top of the bench to match what would be the foot well, but then after much design debate we cut the rest of the way back to execute a slightly different design.

We pulled up the rat fur to mount 3/4" plywood from the bottom of the bunk support to the top of the bench support. This gave us a goof solid surface to mount the table without penetrating the outside shell of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
image-1690360168.jpg   image-2661961757.jpg  

Newfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #2

Florida
Continued... We used a stainless steel gate hinge on the plywood that will match to the end of the table top. The rat fur covered the plywood and hinge, and we cut slits to reveal the hinge cylinders.

We cut our table so that we can rest on cleats that will allow it to serve as a couch/bed if needed.

The leg was pretty cool (I hope this proves reliable). We used a sliding glass door security bar. We cut it so that it is short enough to tuck under the table when in the bed position. The extending leg props the table up level.

Here is where we are so far. We still need to clean up our wiring, trim out the foot well and install the cleats. I think this is tight enough that if we really needed to, we could put this in "bed mode" and reinstall the bunk if on a trip where we needed the sleeping accommodations. I don't really anticipate needing this though.

Cheers,
Dan and Sandy
Attached Thumbnails
image-3037248837.jpg   image-3666235254.jpg  

Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #3

Florida
Oh yes...and we do plan to finish the table with Formica
Old 03-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #4

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
What a great design!

Your new will be very useful and very attractive as well!
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Nicely done! I'm working on similar mod for my UHaul 13', so I am a magnet for good ideas.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #6

Name: JerryJohn
Trailer: New owner Scamp 13' 2009
Florida
Great Job

I plan to follow your idea when we get our scamp. Did you need to add extra support for the seats? How did you protect the wiring going between the seats? Did you make new cushions and keep the others? Did you add a light?
I also talked to the factory about this design, but no luck. Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfang View Post
Continued... We used a stainless steel gate hinge on the plywood that will match to the end of the table top. The rat fur covered the plywood and hinge, and we cut slits to reveal the hinge cylinders.

We cut our table so that we can rest on cleats that will allow it to serve as a couch/bed if needed.

The leg was pretty cool (I hope this proves reliable). We used a sliding glass door security bar. We cut it so that it is short enough to tuck under the table when in the bed position. The extending leg props the table up level.

Here is where we are so far. We still need to clean up our wiring, trim out the foot well and install the cleats. I think this is tight enough that if we really needed to, we could put this in "bed mode" and reinstall the bunk if on a trip where we needed the sleeping accommodations. I don't really anticipate needing this though.

Cheers,
Dan and Sandy
JerryJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Really like the idea of using sliding door lock bar. That goes into my notes.

So your wood panel on the wall is attached how? It runs from bunk mount to couch mount as you mention but I am having trouble seeing how it is attached.

I have been looking at variations of that attachment, it is after all how the main dining table is attached. Have considered trying to use the same type of swing down hinge from the rear dinette but hinge with exposed barrels might offer some advantages.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #8

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Great idea on the folding table!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #9

Florida
Scamp 13 Front Dinette Progress

Sorry we disappeared....life got in the way.

But among all the chaos of job changes, moves, work, school etc we had a couple Scamp adventures. Each time we pulled out the Scamp we worked a bit more on the makeover.

Still need to finish curtains and upholstry.

We finished the footwell and added cleats so that we can lower the table should we need an additional sleeper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FootwellFinished.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	103712

After putting on the formica we had the idea of putting "rat fur" on the bottom of the table to prevent splinters from the unfinished surface. The table sits high enough that I doubt this would be an issue....but you never know while sliding in and out.

Name:	TableUnderside.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	103714

Here is some detail on the formica

Name:	TopDetail.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	103713

So here is the progress so far.

Name:	FinshedDinette.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	103715

It all ties in with a "retro" feel...here are a couple of pics of our kitchen with induction stove, and red retro microwave.

Name:	Kitchen.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	103716

Name:	<a title=Microwave.jpg Views: 37 Size: 100.6 KB ID: 103717" style="margin: 2px" />

Tags
scamp