Scamp 13 Remod is almost done-inside - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2006, 11:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 1999 Toyota Tacoma
Well, as the year 2006 winds down, the interior of the Scamp 13 remod is almost done. Still to complete: set water tank and connect pump switch, set and connect New Olympian Wave 3 heater, final wiring connections for interior lighting, and some moulding, cover the new benches with denim and then the wife will make new curtains. The carpet will probably go in tomorrow.

It was a complete gut, keeping the original elephant hide, gluing carpet to the ceiling and walls, following the old scamp material pattern, fabricating all new cabinets, a new rear seating and bed arrangement, forward dinette, new counter top, new range, and lots more usable storage.

Used about two weeks time, 7 sheets (5-12/ inch and 2 1/4 inch) AC sanded shop Plywood, two gallons of flooring adhesive, 30 x6 feet of interior wall carpet, 120 LF 3/4 x3/4 fir strips for backing, a few hundred screws and about 100 feet of 1x2.

Did it all with a cordless 5 /12 inch saw, and drill, a table saw, about a quart and half of wood glue, a 3/4 gallon of polyurethane satin finish varnish.

All new interior wiring, and existing coach exterior running lighting wriing was put into plastic smurf tube and cleaned up.

Total cost to date, about $500 plus what I'll spend for the cushions and fabric for that, I'll have maybe about a thousand into it to finish.

A new paint job for the outside this spring, and we are ready.

There was a lot of head scratching, a few cold ones for thinking fluid and a five gallon bucket of sawdust when done.

We gained more seating, could seat now four or five maybe and the bed is deeper by five inches, which is huge.

Where did the five inches come from? rotated the sink 90 degrees, the new pantry is more efficient and has more usable space than the old closet.

Threw in a few pics of just about done...more when really complete.

Happy New Year.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp_13_Remod_12_2006_024.jpg   Scamp_13_Remod_12_2006_027.jpg  

Scamp_13_Remod_12_2006_028.jpg   Scamp_13_Remod_12_2006_029.jpg  

Scamp_13_Remod_12_2006_030.jpg   Scamp_13_Remod_12_2006_032.jpg  

Gary Carvajal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Very nicely thought out and accomplished!

Loren

p.s. Hopefully you will detail your method of attaching cabinetry to the fiberglass walls when you find time.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Super nice work! Tom Trostel
Old 01-01-2007, 06:12 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Very nice work! It's interesting that you have ended up with almost the exact design of our 13' Burro, except that all of the seats, closet, cupboards, etc. are molded fiberglass on ours rather than wood. I too would like to know how you did the final attachment to the outer fiberglass hull for your cupboards since I would like to build some over the front and rear windows of our Burro.

Great job!

Kevin
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Very nice work! It's interesting that you have ended up with almost the exact design of our 13' Burro, except that all of the seats, closet, cupboards, etc. are molded fiberglass on ours rather than wood. I too would like to know how you did the final attachment to the outer fiberglass hull for your cupboards since I would like to build some over the front and rear windows of our Burro.

Great job!

Kevin
To attach the new cabinets, lets see:
For the base cab at the galley it is attached to the floor and fender well with L-brackets and stainless bolts and wood screws. The Upper galley cab was attached with stainless wood screws through the same original holes. The front upper was attached with new holes again with stainless wood screws. All through the shell attachment was done with stainless screws or bolts for the fender wells. All visible shell attachments were with Scamp new cup and snap covers with a dab of geosel paintable caulk to seal ้m up tight.

The new pantry cab was attached to a new 3/4 inch square steel tube bent in my vice bit by bit to match the original curve and rivited to the door frame edge, like the front.

Scamp had several lower perimeter glassed in ledges for the rear and front bases and those were not modified.

The ceiling carpet was the big initial challenge, but with a forest of 1x2 brace tees, it went ok.

But the big challenge was the front overhead cab, it was different enough from the old original rear one that a couple of 1/4 in plywood templates were required before an acceptable fit was made.

I thought that maybe in a couple of years I might order just a shell from scamp an finish it myself. We'll see.

Thanks
Gary
Old 01-01-2007, 09:31 AM   #6

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Incredible job. Well done! Looking forward to seeing finished cabinet work.</span>
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Classy!

You'll find that front dinette to be the best mod you ever did!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Classy!

You'll find that front dinette to be the best mod you ever did!
I think so too Gina, as it is only my wife and myself, no offspring and two dogs.
I saw this years ago in a friend's Burro if I recall and thought, like Scamps and Casita's side dinette this would work real well. Making the bed up and down like it was built with the little hatch covers on the old bases was a pain.

We actually pondered a side dinette with a front galley but after sketching and making a couple of mockups, the front dinette will I think work best overall.

The wife has actually selected the fabrics for the cushions and curtains, and this will be pretty trick when she takes it on a Girls on the Fly run this spring.

Happy New Year!

Garo

Tags
scamp