Scamp 16' front dinette ??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992 / Chevrolet S10 4.3L.
Helle

I have a scamp 16' side bathroom and i want if anyone have remove the front bunk to maide a front dinette ??

Thank you

Yvon Chayer
Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I have a scamp 16' side bathroom and i want if anyone have remove the front bunk to maide a front dinette ??
Yvon,

I did a search for "front dinette" and got these two pages of results. I would think that with the side bath you would have to put a sliding table in to allow someone to get into the streetside seat. Does your floor extend all the way under the center of the front bench or is it raised like on some trailers?
Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #3

Hello Roy
I have make this search and found some results but it is exactly that you tell me about the bath wall

I have the main floor extend in the center of the front bunk but it this part is too small for foot and if i make a table center we don,t have acces to seat on street side

I can make the step floor in front same as the rear of the rv and make small table ofset of the front bunk and use the center part for shoe storage
I have asked this question to see if anyone have maid this and if he like this modification

If i make this , i can use the front seat as a storage and also store under the rear bed always in lower position
Thank you

Yvon Chayer
Old 04-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Yvon,

I have a 13 footer and have often thought about putting in a front dinette. I've printed out and saved Woody's mod
pictures and look at them often.

There is no reason it wouldn't work for your 16 footer. While you have a bath next to the couch, we have a kitchen cabinet.

Here's a link to Woody's dinette mod, it on Yahoo so if you don't have an ID & password you'll need to set one up.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scampers/pho...303513/pic/list
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #5

Joy you have a beautifull front dinette

My problem is that the bath cabinet is 8'' deep the a kitchen cabinet and to make acces on street side i have to cut table 8 '' narrow than your table
If i put the table offset , i dont have space for foot in the order side

The only solution that i see is make a step same as the rear table and make the table offset with a storage space in the rear of the seat on street side

You have make a real nice job in your scamp , You give me some idea when i decide to go !!!

Yvon Chayer
Old 04-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #6

Yvon,

Well thanks for the compliments but it's not in my Scamp. It's in Woody's.

I just have the pictures printed out in case I ever decide to change the couch out for a dinette.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 04-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Yvon,
I've seen someone use a single drawer slide to mount the table to the wall. They lift the edge of the table and slide it curbside, sit down an pull the table back to them. Then the curbside person sits down.
Some notch the corner of the table street side. Maybe a combination would work for you.

Can you post pictures of what you have now? Maybe we can come up with some ideas.

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I do like the idea of making the street-side seat more towards the middle. Right now I have a counter there (over the original couch) that extends the kitchen counter forward. With the "shifted seat" idea you could keep a narrow counter and storage area behind the street side seat (not next to the kitchen in your case, Yvon, I realize).

I think that the seats might be a bit deep and straight anyway, if you make them too big. I have seen where someone did this, but I don't have a photo saved.

Edited to say: "Oh, I did save a couple of photos!" It's a bit hard to see, but the dinette is shifted to the door side, and there's a shallow counter and storage area behind the street-side seat back (they also look to have the "non-notched" frame, so the table is closer to window height by about 5" (vs. one where the notch floor is used to determine table height).

Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette_shifted_stbd_1.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	19506

Name:	dinette_shifted_stbd_2.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	19507

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I do like the idea of making the street-side seat more towards the middle. Right now I have a counter there (over the original couch) that extends the kitchen counter forward. [b]With the "shifted seat" idea you could keep a narrow counter and storage area behind the street side seat (not next to the kitchen in your case, Yvon, I realize).
Scamp now offers this in their New Custom Deluxe (wood interior) models from the factory.

Name:	floorplanswood13.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	19509
Front Dinette on Left (13')

Name:	floorplanswood16.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	19510
Front Dinette on Left (16')
Old 04-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #10

Hello

I have exactly the layout 4 in my scamp
Scamp 16' layout

Yvon Chayer
Old 04-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #11

Quote:
I do like the idea of making the street-side seat more towards the middle. Right now I have a counter there (over the original couch) that extends the kitchen counter forward. With the "shifted seat" idea you could keep a narrow counter and storage area behind the street side seat (not next to the kitchen in your case, Yvon, I realize).

Raya
It is that i want to make but not now , i leave for a month Montreal to Louisiana in two week and i dont have time to make this, but it was my next winter modification !!!!

Yvon Chayer
Old 04-19-2009, 06:51 AM   #12

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Yvon & Joy, Thanks for the compliments on my front dinette, yes that was a mod that I made in our 13'er that we use to have. Joy my wife and I still regret selling that little 13, and wish we had it now. I have my 16' Scamp up for sale now, and should I sell it I may look for another 13 or like camper to do that mod again. Yvon as you can see in the pics of that mod, I cut the table on a angle so you could get in and out easily. I'm sure if this is something you want to do, you will be able to figure out a way to do it. Ken James inspired me to make my front dinette. And I think he has some post of the one he made also. Any questions you can pm me and I'll be glad to help if I can be of any. Tim
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Ken James inspired me to make my front dinette. And I think he has some post of the one he made also.
Here's the topics with Ken's front dinette mods:
Made our own Front Dinette

Two-person dinette as a bonus, there's a link to his wife's, Diann's , lessons on how to recover cushions!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #14

Trailer: 1987 Lil Bigfoot
Quote:

I think that the seats might be a bit deep and straight anyway, if you make them too big. I have seen where someone did this, but I don't have a photo saved.

Edited to say: "Oh, I did save a couple of photos!" It's a bit hard to see, but the dinette is shifted to the door side, and there's a shallow counter and storage area behind the street-side seat back (they also look to have the "non-notched" frame, so the table is closer to window height by about 5" (vs. one where the notch floor is used to determine table height).

Attachment 19506

Attachment 19507

Raya
Hi there! These are pictures of our remodeled Lil Bigfoot. You are right, the table is off center to make it easier to get into the seat past the corner of the kitchen counter. The street side seat has storage area behind it, accessed by lifting the counter top. We use it for extra bedding or heavy coats that we don't need often. Both seats have storage under them also. Just lift the seat cushion and the seat support to access. The table was purchased at an RV supply stor and is flat on the backside so before installing, my husband had to make a filler to fit the curve of the trailer. Then put a little shlf on the top where we keep little stuff--pencils, cards, keys stc.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "non notched frame", but the floor has about a 4 inch step up across the front of the trailer. The table is flat against the wall in the stored position and the top slides up and then lays out to make the eating surface.

For the seat backs, my husband built (for lack of a better explanation) curved "ladders" that fit the shape of the trailer walls. Then I upholstered them using a roll and tuck method, stapling each roll to a step of the "ladder" from the back. After finishing off all the edges, we used industrial strength Velcro to hold them in place. We wrapped each seat back in a plastic bag, open end at the bottom, slid the back into place (snug fit)then pulled the plastic up and off the seat backs. The Velcro stuck to the wall fabric and hasn't budged since. Hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer any more questions. Bonnie
Bonnie and Roger in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #15

hye Bonnie
The floor extend all the way under the center of the front bench but it raise each side an average of 6 inch
For make a ofset table i do remove the front bunk frame and raise the center a the same stage of the side
The notch was a previous place for porta putty
I have door in center of the bunk flush with the center floor

When i have time i raise the center portion a make an ofset table
Tank again at all for your good advice and picture and if anyone have other idea , your a welcome !!!

Yvon Chayer
Old 05-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #16

Name: Mandi
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Where did you get the table from!

I love that table could you tell me where you got it from. Thanks Mandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie and Roger in WA View Post
Hi there! These are pictures of our remodeled Lil Bigfoot. You are right, the table is off center to make it easier to get into the seat past the corner of the kitchen counter. The street side seat has storage area behind it, accessed by lifting the counter top. We use it for extra bedding or heavy coats that we don't need often. Both seats have storage under them also. Just lift the seat cushion and the seat support to access. The table was purchased at an RV supply stor and is flat on the backside so before installing, my husband had to make a filler to fit the curve of the trailer. Then put a little shlf on the top where we keep little stuff--pencils, cards, keys stc.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "non notched frame", but the floor has about a 4 inch step up across the front of the trailer. The table is flat against the wall in the stored position and the top slides up and then lays out to make the eating surface.

For the seat backs, my husband built (for lack of a better explanation) curved "ladders" that fit the shape of the trailer walls. Then I upholstered them using a roll and tuck method, stapling each roll to a step of the "ladder" from the back. After finishing off all the edges, we used industrial strength Velcro to hold them in place. We wrapped each seat back in a plastic bag, open end at the bottom, slid the back into place (snug fit)then pulled the plastic up and off the seat backs. The Velcro stuck to the wall fabric and hasn't budged since. Hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer any more questions. Bonnie
mandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Yvon & Joy, Thanks for the compliments on my front dinette, yes that was a mod that I made in our 13'er that we use to have. Joy my wife and I still regret selling that little 13, and wish we had it now. I have my 16' Scamp up for sale now, and should I sell it I may look for another 13 or like camper to do that mod again. Yvon as you can see in the pics of that mod, I cut the table on a angle so you could get in and out easily. I'm sure if this is something you want to do, you will be able to figure out a way to do it. Ken James inspired me to make my front dinette. And I think he has some post of the one he made also. Any questions you can pm me and I'll be glad to help if I can be of any. Tim
Hey Tim, long time no talk. I haven't noticed you posting lately, but maybe I missed them. I've shared your front dinette design numerous times. I still haven't decided whether to do it or not. But I love it.
2019 Ram Longhorn

Tags
scamp