Well I've finally had the time to sit down and edit all the pics I've taken of my Scamp
mods. In case you don't remember, I'm the one who bought the "blank slate". No windows
and no inards except for the closet next to the door. I'm a stay at home dad (Mr. Mom) with a 14 month old boy and a 31 month old girl so work on the egg has gone slow. Have to try to work during naps and I'm renovating our kitchen in the house at the same time so it's been a slow process.
Anyway here are a couple of before pics
First I tackled the "no windows
problem" by putting in 3 windows
. First I made a template the size of the opening needed and traced it onto the outside of the trailer.
Next I drilled a series of holes at the corners so I could see the location of the window from the inside.
Next I made marks where I could see the light
coming through the holes,
and then I used the template to draw the opening on the inside.
I then used a razor knife to cut through the fabric and then removed the fabric from the insullation.
The next step was to cut out the fiberglass and the insullation using a jig saw with an 18 tooth per inch blade (As suggested by Scamp).
Wallah! A hole in my Egg. (by the way if you try to cut the fabric along with the rest, it catches on the blade and it pulls and stretches the fabric pretty badly. I tried this at first and only got about 2 inches before I stopped and used the above method to cut out the fabric first)
Next I applied some window putty to the frame (don't be stingy)...
...And stuck the sucker in the hole.
And the last step was to screw the inside frame on from the inside.
*The windows I bought were for a wall thichness of about 3/4" (I couldn't find any that were thinner), the scamp
walls are about 3/8" once you compact the fabric and insullation against the fiberglass. Therefore if I screwed the inside frame on in the direction it was supposed to go I didn't get a good seal around the outside of the window. I fixed this by screwing the inside ring on "inside out". I also sealed around the outside of the window with sillicone caulk.
Here are a couple of pics of the egg with some ventalatin' and viewin' winders in it.
Stay tuned for the Bed and bunk beds, as well as the window A/C in the closet installs. :wave Dan the weary modifier