Scamp 16' Wood Cabinet Plans - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Scamp 16' Wood Cabinet Plans

Does anyone have any woodworking plans for building the ceiling cabinets for a 16' Scamp? I'm looking to pull out the existing fiberglass and replace 'em with oak.

Second question... The fiberglass cabinets are mounted with a front-facing flange and the nuts are exposed. Is that done with an angle-bracket on the inside of the wood ones?

Final question... How are the bolts held in that hold the cabinet up? Is that just bolted through the skin to the outside? Is there any special reinforcement needed to switch from fiberglass to wood?

Thanks all...

Old 11-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I remember someone saying on the fiberglass interiors you have rivets and on the deluxe wood interiors you have screws. I'm sure someone else will verify this.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Gary I have built two wooden cabinets for our Scamp, a rear over the dinette cabinet. I used no thru fiberglass rivets or screws, supporting it off the window frames. If this is of interest let me know and I'll provide details. I believe there are some details under Modifications, Preparing a 1991 Scamp.

I also built a over the couch wooden cabinet off the end of the side bathroom, cantilevering it off the bathroom wall. I strengthened the cantilevering wall with wood on the inside.

I also built a little shelf over the door, attaching it to the closet and door frame.

None of the wooden cabinets have any thru hole fasteners and have not moved in a Loop of the USA and trip to the Maritime provinces.

If you're interested in any of the details let me know.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #4

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Norm... I went through a bunch of the notes in that string and probably zipped right by it. I can see how the back dinette shelf works...but I'm looking at the SIDE dinette one. No windows for that!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #5

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I remember someone saying on the fiberglass interiors you have rivets and on the deluxe wood interiors you have screws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
...but I'm looking at the SIDE dinette one. No windows for that!
If I Remember Correctly, the upper fiberglass cabinets for the side dinette model are individual cabinets with gaps between them, but one continuous run all the way around the trailer if made of wood. Instead of rivets through flanges with interior acorn nuts, they are assembled with screws that bite directly into the back of the wood frames. The outside snap-caps look the same either way.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Side Dinette

We used a Casita 16 for a year with a side dinette with over the dinette cabinets. The cabinets ran between the front bathroom wall and the rear dinette. Their was a quasi-wooden member that came up from the edge of the driver's side rear dinette to the ceiling.

This cabinet could be connected to the bathroom wall and the rear dinette for 'down support'. For side support, the bottom of the cabinet could be connected to the top of the side dinette's window frame the same way we did the over rear dinette cabinet.

We gave our trailer a 'woodier' appearance by changing out the cabinet doors to real wood. For even a more wood door look at Bryon's cabinet doors , his doors are so attractive you don't even see the fiberglass.

Typically these over the side dinette cabinets don't carry a lot of weight because they can't be too deep to ensure you don't bang your head plus the curvature limits stuff.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp