Scamp 19' No Looking Back! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Scamp 19' No Looking Back!

Well I finally stopped procrastinating and jumped all in with both feet! I ripped out the orange carpet, sink, water heater, and base cabinet last week.
Attached Thumbnails
001.jpg   002.jpg  

003.jpg   004.jpg  

Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #2

Registry
And ripped out the stove, heater, fridge, and other base cabinet this week.
Attached Thumbnails
001.jpg   002.jpg  

003.jpg   004.jpg  

Old 03-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #3

Registry
More Pics. Think I found the source of that moldy smell LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
005.jpg   009.jpg  

010.jpg  
Old 03-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You go boy!! What was in the location with all the water damage on the wall? kitchen? was it a leaky window or something else?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Once you clean it up and paint it, it will smell much better. Check the floor really good if you have bad spots you can still get a funky smell. I am going to put my rear floor section in after dinner. I plan to move my electrical cable to the curbside and also add a city water to the curbside also. I want to put a ground fault recp. where current cable hole is if it will cover the hole. I just got my LED tails light in the mail today so add that to the list.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
You go boy!! What was in the location with all the water damage on the wall? kitchen? was it a leaky window or something else?
When I bought it the Oregonian "seller" said that it had been sitting in the backyard for years. His Step Grand Dad had driven it to Oregon to visit and while there flew back to Michigan to visit his old hometown. While he was in Michigan he passed away. The seller had no idea what town he passed in or where in AZ he had been living, thus it sat. Finally, after a number of years, he decided to get rid of it. When we opened it it was very musty on the inside from sitting in the moist Oregon air locked up and unused. The other wall was not as bad as the one pictured. I think a lot of the black is from the fridge vent and 30 years of accumulated dust getting in behind everything. By the way it did clean up just fine with a lot of TSP and clorax and it smells a lot better also.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Once you clean it up and paint it, it will smell much better. Check the floor really good if you have bad spots you can still get a funky smell. I am going to put my rear floor section in after dinner. I plan to move my electrical cable to the curbside and also add a city water to the curbside also. I want to put a ground fault recp. where current cable hole is if it will cover the hole. I just got my LED tails light in the mail today so add that to the list.
Eddie
Actually had checked the floor prior and it is solid as a rock. I got very fortunate as I don't see too many that don't need a little floor work. It did clean up real well.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #8

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
You're in it now!

On your fridge, is that a screen or something in the top rack? Mine just has a gapping hole. What's the plastic bin for? Is the trim around the name of the fridge fake woodgrain or something else? It's hard to tell.

Second, if you end up ditching the stove, could you save the grills for it? My front one has one of the pieces snapped off. I'm debating getting one with an oven from scamp, though.

I've been messing with new wiring all day, yay! I'm doing it all, which I didn't think I would have to. The old stuff leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm curious to see your cabinet solution, I'm just too lazy to change them.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #9

Registry
"On your fridge, is that a screen or something in the top rack? Mine just has a gapping hole. What's the plastic bin for? Is the trim around the name of the fridge fake woodgrain or something else?

I believe that piece is a flap made of plastic. Put it down when you need shelving and open it up for tall stuff. I'll have to look when I go over there tomorrow as to if that is wood grain or not.

"I'm curious to see your cabinet solution, I'm just too lazy to change them."

Easiest cabinetry you'll ever do. Basically just building a front. I've got some really cool ideas but don't want to divulge until it's done in case I change my mind or it doesn't work LOL

I bought one of those Chinese made ADTH stovetops brand new for $39.95 on ebay. I put one in my Trillium and it worked great. If you want parts of the stove let me know it has all the clips to hold the grates in place also. This stove has rust and had been poorly repainted.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
By the way it did clean up just fine with a lot of TSP and clorax and it smells a lot better also.
that puts you way ahead of the game! Look forward to seeing/hearing how it all goes! You have already demonstrated your a much braver/talented person than I!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
I plan to move my electrical cable to the curbside and also add a city water to the curbside also. I want to put a ground fault recp. where current cable hole is if it will cover the hole. I just got my LED tails light in the mail today so add that to the list.
Eddie
Mine are on the curbside and I'm moving them to the driver's side. It seems that all the hookups in the parks are on the drivers side.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
that puts you way ahead of the game! Look forward to seeing/hearing how it all goes! You have already demonstrated your a much braver/talented person than I!
Thanks, it looks far worse than it really is. I wanted to get the really ugly documented before it was cleaned up. I'm sure mine isn't the only camper to look this grubby at the start of reno.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Steve
My bad. The hook up need to go to the drivers side. Spending too much time looking out the back up the trailer.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Steve
My bad. The hook up need to go to the drivers side. Spending too much time looking out the back up the trailer.
Eddie
I kinda thought that's what you meant
Old 03-10-2013, 02:38 AM   #15

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
How is the furnace held in? I need to pull mine to replace the shower hoses, and the two screws the manual says to use to install it, aren't installed.

Nevermind, figured it out. Good thing, the gas line was kinked. Apparently they hadn't heard of a 90* fitting.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
How is the furnace held in? I need to pull mine to replace the shower hoses, and the two screws the manual says to use to install it, aren't installed.

Never mind, figured it out. Good thing, the gas line was kinked. Apparently they hadn't heard of a 90* fitting.
My heater had one screw in the front on the bottom, the propane line, and the electrical cables. My cabinet on that side had L braces screwed into the floor but not into the wood bracing on the cabinet. LOL! Whoever had the assembly line job of screwing into the cabinet must have been sick that day.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The topc says "no looking back"... don't tell me you've removed your rear view mirrors!?!

Looks like a big project, but you can fix it up so it's just the way you like, and that's worth a lot.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #18

Registry
HA! The thing I love about the Scamp is I don't need no rear view mirrors. I have 2 pairs of those "rubber band to the vehicle" mirrors but they vibrate so much it makes me dizzy.

It is a big project, but seriously I had to tear everything out just to clean/sanitize it properly. I'll probably save all the fiberglass pieces in case some future owner wants to put it back stock.

Tags
scamp