Scamp 19 upper deck extension - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Scamp 19 upper deck extension

I am working on a bed extension for my Scamp 19. I am using a full mattress 54" wide so all I need to do is extend the deck 15". I wanted to retain a seat by the door for dressing and shoe removal. I also wanted a semi open storage area on the other side of the steps. I can remove the modification eaisly and reinstall the goucho if needed.
Here are some pictures of my progress. I plan on using stair spindles to support the ends of the deck. They will be attached to the tabbing for the seat. The front of the deck extension is attached to the upper seat tabbing. The steps are 18" wide, if any wider they would not fit through the door. I will have about $100 in the project and about one good days work. (three retirement days)
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails
100_3260.jpg   100_3261.jpg  

100_3266.jpg   100_3265.jpg  

100_3264.jpg  
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #2

Deck pattern

Here are pictures of how I made a pattern to cut the deck board. The pieces of the Cobb grill box are glued with a hot glue gun to a pattern board I made of 1/8" paneling.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails
100_3240.jpg   100_3241.jpg  

100_3242.jpg   100_3243.jpg  

Old 12-27-2011, 01:51 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Nice job!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sweeeeet! You're going to love sleeping front to back and no more head in one window and feet in the other
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #5

Name: Cheri
Trailer: Scamp fifth-wheel
North Dakota
This looks wonderful! We also have a Scamp 5th wheel (fairly new), and I am trying to visualize the mattress situation. You said you are using a full-size mattress; so does the width of the mattress fit between the white wing-type things (don't know what they're called) that stick out between the bed and the bunk? If that's right, do you fill in the extra space between the mattress and the sides of the Scamp with cushions, or . . .? We have been working to find ways to sleep length-wise (and also to help along our older knees when climbing up and down, to and from the bed), and your solution looks great!
Cheri in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #6

Cheri
A full size mattress is 54" x 75" and it is 54" between the molded supports on the upper deck. I bought a full size mattress from Ikea several years ago for about $100 which is really comfortable. We are currently using the matterss crossways and we sitck the bananna in the nose to fill in for the curve of the nose of the trailer.
The deck is 60" from the nose to the edge by the back of the goucho. My deck extension is 15" wide and I attached an oak 1x2 to stiffen the the straight edge of the extension. All wood for the mod. was cut out of one piece of 3/4" oak cabinet plywood with the exception of the stair treads and the blocking for the storge area behind the steps. I am going to poly the wood with a natural finish. I think if I would build it again I would cover everything in rat fur. I could then use cheaper plywood and the cuts would not have to be so exact.
I am planning to run an oak 1 x 4 from the goucho seat to the cieling along the edge of the bath enclosure. This will be used for support to mount a TV swing arm. Then I can watch TV from the bed or swing it around and watch it from the dinette area.
Oh almost forgot, the space beside the bed will be used to store my TV remote, cell phone and reading material. It also gives me space so at night I won't be touching the cold windows. I may also build some narrow shelves on each side bed.
Eddie
Old 12-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri in MN View Post
You said you are using a full-size mattress; so does the width of the mattress fit between the white wing-type things (don't know what they're called) that stick out between the bed and the bunk?
Cheri, they're called "ribs. I know Mike & Nancy removed them and had built closets to support the roof.... they look great. Peterh, did something different: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oft-28336.html

Sorry for highjacking the topic... Eddie, you're doing a great job!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #8

Name: Cheri
Trailer: Scamp fifth-wheel
North Dakota
Thanks to you both for your help. My husband is the carpenter, so he's taking notes!
Cheri in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp