Scamp( 2nd chance ) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #1

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Scamp( 2nd chance )

As you all know we had a Scamp 16 deluxe totaled. This is the new one. We drove out to Backus on Easter weekend to pick it up a new Scamp 16 deluxe sd with bath. The drive out was cold and windy. We found out Backus only had 5 inches of snow all winter so it was very dry and 19 degrees pickup time 8 in the morning. The FJ got 18-22 mpg on the way out and 14-16 towing back. 1028 miles each way. I will never drive thru Chicago again. The fourth time that's enough. We hit it at 5 on a Friday holiday weekend. Oh by the way somebody on this site bought our wrecked trailer wonder how that is going? Heres ours will post mods as it goes.
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
scamp 019.jpg   scamp 047.jpg  

Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Wow, that is a mighty shiney Scamp! I hear you about driving in city traffic, I am skirting Atlanta next month on a trip and not looking forward to it. Good luck with your new FGRV!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #3

Name: Anna
Trailer: 1978 17' Boler
Alberta
that is lovely, do you have interior pics?
summersucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #4

Pennsylvania
I will post more pic as I do a few things. Only a few things are different than the 2013 we had. The AC is different and the vent cover for the frig on the outside. We were informed and shown that Scamp does not put the front window in any more on the 16. Ours was one of the last. They now put in a power small round vent in the roof.
Ken
Old 04-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
To the left of your message I see:
Ken in Pa

Trailer: Ordered Scamp 16'
Time to update your profile! Congrats
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #6

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Congrats Ken must be nice to have that new smell.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
May your 2nd chance Scamp give you many happy years of good camping.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:31 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Congratulations on your new Scamp, even more with having the front window! We picked up our new 13 on April 3 and had the fan and no window

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #9

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
How wonderful, hopefully this one is for good now especially as you don't want to repeat the drive again
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #10

Name: Louise
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
As you all know we had a Scamp 16 deluxe totaled. This is the new one. We drove out to Backus on Easter weekend to pick it up a new Scamp 16 deluxe sd with bath. The drive out was cold and windy. We found out Backus only had 5 inches of snow all winter so it was very dry and 19 degrees pickup time 8 in the morning. The FJ got 18-22 mpg on the way out and 14-16 towing back. 1028 miles each way. I will never drive thru Chicago again. The fourth time that's enough. We hit it at 5 on a Friday holiday weekend. Oh by the way somebody on this site bought our wrecked trailer wonder how that is going? Heres ours will post mods as it goes.
Ken
Congratulations on your new Scamp...I too avoid big cities when I can but I have family on Long Island and it's almost impossible to get to them without having to drive through heavy traffic. 😂
fiddlesticksfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:09 AM   #11

Pennsylvania
Braintb. That's when we picked ours up on the 3rd. Wayne our salesman showed us yours with the vent. We were upset we didn't get that. You know what they say grass is always greener on the other side. I am sure that vent works great.
Ken
Old 04-28-2015, 08:20 AM   #12

Pennsylvania
Installed a Charge Wizard. On the old trailer the battery would boil over once in awhile which is not so good. This solves that. It also stabilizes and does a few other things. I would have to get the manual out to explain. This is under the bench next to the converter.
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
scamp 023.jpg  
Old 04-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #13

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
We passed you as we were heading north to the factory and you were southbound on 371.
We had a 2012 with front washroom which had the window but no fan. I think we will miss the window. If I could I would have both. Our Casita had a window and fan.

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:37 AM   #14

Pennsylvania
Fresh water drain

We had a second fresh water tank installed at Backus. One water tank means about four showers if you are lucky. With nothing left for dishes. Tough to make a weekend. Then when leaving having to drain a real pain in the butt. Lifting both sides of the bed to turn the valve ugh. So I installed a valve on the one tank underneath within easy reach. The inside valve on the right tank I leave closed. The water flows across the back in a connecting line to the tank with the outside valve. The inside valve on this tank is left open. This drains both tanks with one valve. I hope this makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp 024.jpg  
Old 05-03-2015, 07:48 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm assuming, Ken, that you will be draining the tanks for travel? That much weight at the back of your trailer could affect towing stability.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #16

Pennsylvania
2 water tanks

Yes I always drain the fresh tanks. Usually at the dump site when draining the gray and black tanks. last thing before leaving.
Ken
Old 05-04-2015, 03:36 AM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
OK, after 3 years of reading posts of folks towing with little or no water in the fresh tank I've got to ask and will probably get beat up for it.
I just don't see any advantage of leaving the house without a full tank of water. Loading extra weight forward makes up for it, it's all in the loading. Most of the combos of members I see sure doesn't seem like it would make any difference to a good tow. Maybe I'm in a different zone as I have a SD17 that has a heavy tw and the water in the back takes a bit off the tongue. I'm still at 365# for travel full wet. I don't dump any tanks until I get home and have never had a bad tow experience with any weight change between the fresh and holding tanks after a trip. So...putting myself my self in the blasting zone, why are so many of you worried about the little extra weight of mostly 10-20 gallons of water from what I see? Are you so close to the limits of your tugs or just want to squeeze out the last bit of gas per mile for bragging rights? After having a few different RVs and getting 7 mph, 17 with my Ranger is great and if your RVing, the mileage to me goes out the window. Not knocking anybody, just wondering about what I read as a mindset. Is this as clear as mud
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #18

Pennsylvania
Dave, In my case 20 gallons will mess up my towing big time. I once tried with full fresh tanks made it about 6 miles and had to pull over on the interstate and drain. The sway and rocking was bad. Empty it runs fine. Because of that experience I now use a Andersen hitch Just in case. Everyones case is different. Below part of the Andersen
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
scamp 029.jpg  
Old 05-04-2015, 06:57 AM   #19

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I always leave home with a full tank of water (15 + 6 gallons in water heater) and 2 of those blue 7 gallon water tanks from walmart in my forward bathroom, so I guess the extra increase in tongue weight helps balance out the water tank being on the other side of the axle. I wash dishes, drink probably at least a half gallon of water a day excluding coffee lol, and shower. Always have extra water to share with my tent camping friends. I also know that my well water at home is safe and good tasting...who knows how decent the water is at the campground?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp( 2nd chance )

Dave, I think it depends on what model trailer you have. In your case, Casita 17s are (by design) unusually heavy on the tongue. That's good for towing stability, and the reason full tanks have little effect on your rig, but it pretty much limits your tug to a light truck or one of the few stouter SUVs.

Others are (by design) lighter on the tongue to accommodate a wider range of tugs. But that requires more careful attention to loading. In Ken's case, 150-200 pounds of water weight behind the axle (double what the original design was meant to carry) is potentially enough to upset the balance of the trailer.

I'm not against carrying water. I am in favor of stable towing. Another recent thread drew my attention to the data in Jon V's spreadsheet (post #297 in the thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World"). I had it calculate the percent tongue weight for every trailer in the database. The results were startling, ranging from a high of 18.2% (a Bigfoot 21) to a low of 3.8% (a Hunter Compact Jr.). That range excludes 5th wheel designs.

What was more interesting was that certain models appeared to be more susceptible to unstable loading, and not all were older designs. Carol reported in the thread that one of the seriously unbalanced trailers experienced sway and rolled on the way home from the rally where it was weighed, so this is not just theoretical. Her assessment was that water weight was one, but not the only, factor in the accident. That particular model had several light-on-the-tongue units in the database.

The data also back up my claim that the Casita 17 is uniquely tongue-heavy among molded fiberglass designs. So, what works for you may be dangerous for someone else.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp