Scamp 5er bed modification: How much skill is required? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #15
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Originally Posted by Mike Sullivan View Post
I'm going to wait for the scamper convention in Feb at Highland Hammocks to see if anyone has done it and is there any problems I can avoid.
Sounds like a winning plan.
It is a wise man that is willing to learn from the experience and mistakes of others.

I myself am a big on letting the grand kids run around in the back yard to find out if the doggy deposits are all cleaned up. Thus I too learn from the experience and mistakes of others.

Dang we are both pretty smart ain't we!

RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Patience is the greatest tool in anyone's tool box.

carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Any chance of a moderator changing the subject of this thread to bed or whatever?
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #18
Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Thanks for the welcome papa-t , I know I will enjoy myself to no end.
Mike Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #19
Name: Eddie
Trailer: Scamp 16DX
I turned the bed around, added steps and retained the seat by the door for just over $100. (Not including Lowes seat cushion.) It can be done with a skill saw, jigsaw, router and hand tools. It is also very easy to return to the orig. configuration if needed. You use a full size mattress with this configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
100_3265.jpg   100_3305.jpg  

100_3309.jpg   100_3264.jpg  

Eddie Longest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
How cool is that. I will have to give that alot of thought. Lets see, $100, about 3-4 hours work, or possibly weeks of work and who know how much money. Still thinking and will be for some time.
Mike Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #21
Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Mike, I gutted the front part of my 5er shortly after we bought it and did the loft modification that's mentioned fairly early in the thread.

I'm what you might call an experienced handyman and craftsman who has done pretty much everything from construction framing to electrical work, piping gas, and building furniture, but I did most of my Scamp with a fairly modest set of tools. My Scamp loft modifications were done with standard hand tools plus a saber saw (I like my Home Depot Ryobi Cordless), power drill (also a Ryobi cordless), circular saw (which wasn't used a lot), a palm sander, and a heavy duty staple gun (to secure the clothes line cord that holds the punched aluminium door panels in place). I also used my power miter saw a fair bit, but a hand-saw miter box or careful use of a hand-saw and 90-degree guide-block would work almost as well.

Oh, yes, and clamps. Lots and lots of cheap Harbor Freight pinch clamps. ( 1-3/4" Nylon Spring Clamp )

The tool I use most, though, is my mind, thinking the entire project through and building it in my head, followed by cardboard, a utility knife, and scissors, which I used to make mock-up cabinets and decks that conformed to the curves of my Scamp.

As for time spent, working perhaps 10-15 hours a week I gutted our trailer loft in early March and had it back in usable, though not complete shape (see Converting Scamp 5er Loft ) for the Northern Oregon Gathering in late April and fairly complete shape in time for the Oregon Gathering in July ( Converting Scamp 5er Loft ).

Can you do it, yourself? Well, you have a template for how to do it from the posts I wrote in starting in March 2007 and a rough set of plans for my mods toward the end of the Loft thread. If you review the plans, use your head, ask questions when you're not sure what to do or need advice, and have both patience and a willingness to re-do things when they don't come out right, you most certainly can.

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote