Scamp 5th wheel (Standard) - Closet Space - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #1

Name: Smithson
Trailer: Homemade
California
Scamp 5th wheel (Standard) - Closet Space

We have the Standard layout of the Scamp 19'. Simply put, we have no closet space. I was wondering what other owners may have done over the years - as we certainly aren't the first to encounter this lack of storage space!? We are a family of 3, trips will be 3 weeks max, use of clothes will need to be "efficient", to say the least.

My thoughts? Using some heavy duty suction hooks, hang one of those hanging closet organizers with cubbies on the sidewall of the bathroom (the unused space over sofa, between bathroom and loft)?
See hooks: (Amazon.com - FI&RA The Super Powerlock Suction Cup Hooks with 2''Base (Set of 4) (orange))
See Organizer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER -or- Amazon.com - Whitmor 6082-13 Natural Linen Soft Storage Over-the-Door Shoe Organizer

Shoes under the sofa seat? Or in the open space just under the bathroom door? Clothes in the big cabinet at base of sofa. Socks and undies and whatnot in the overhead storage in loft?

I have found many clever ideas for the Deluxe floorplan, nothing for the Standard.

Thanks!
DAVIDERIN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Erin
Welcome to the site. If you have a newer 5er with the frig. by the door we kept our shoes in the small cabinet under the frig. In my older 5er we dropped extra shoes in the bottom of the closet (same space) and the shoes we were using were kept under the bath ledge. In my older 5er I made a shelf in the space between the bath and the loft, others have made a couple of shelves and enclosed them with doors. Pretty easy to make the shelf with 3 L brackets and plywood.
We use soft bags to keep our clothes in and usually stash them on the seat between the loft and bath. Usually an extra pair of jeans and shorts and a weeks worth of sox and underwear. Wally World sells lightweight fishing pants with zip off legs, these are great for the guys. WM also sells lightweight rain coats/suits by Frog which are light, compact and quite nice. Don't forget to get a dirty clothes bag. On long trips keep most of your clothes in your vehicle and use a small bag to take your daily clothes to the trailer. We usually wash clothes about once a week.
Since you have a 5er. tie some 550 line (parachute cord) tight from the frame at the top of one landing gear to the top of the tongue and back to the frame above the other landing gear. We use this as our clothesline for drying towels and wet clothes. The line can live there all the time if is kept close to the bottom of the deck floor.
For extra storage we have two short storage boxes that live under the rear of the dinette table and they can be tossed in the upper deck if they get in the way during meals.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #3

Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Florida
Watching site

I'll be watching this site for any good tips on storage. we will be taking a six week trip from Florida to central Calif. in about 16 months. Boy do we need storage tips. Any and all would be good.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I began my biz after trying to use the space in my Casita more efficiently; wound up making only custom sized containers (shelves, racks, etc) for other folks. Check this page for some ideas:

Photo-Gallery

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #5

Name: Smithson
Trailer: Homemade
California
This is a great start! Thanks everybody!

Eddie - How/where were L brackets attached?

Charlie - I've actually run across your stuff during my search for solutions, very clever indeed!

Mike - It'll be nice to have some folks to share ideas with! I was sitting inside the trailer last night, staring, trying to come up with ideas. We have the mid-sized fridge near the door, with the small cabinet just above the fridge. There is a small space with a slightly angled surface on top of that cabinet, which would be perfect for spices, medicine bottles, etc, if I could build/attach some sort of restraint around it on the three exposed sides. No specific ideas yet though as how I'd achieve that. At some point, hopefully I can post some pics of the small things we've done thus far.
DAVIDERIN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVIDERIN7 View Post
I was sitting inside the trailer last night, staring, trying to come up with ideas. We have the mid-sized fridge near the door, with the small cabinet just above the fridge. There is a small space with a slightly angled surface on top of that cabinet, which would be perfect for spices, medicine bottles, etc, if I could build/attach some sort of restraint around it on the three exposed sides. No specific ideas yet though as how I'd achieve that.
If you can sketch it (with dimensions) I can probably build it out of white ABS plastic, which mounts with industrial grade 3M VHB tape. I work from sketches 95+% of the time. Angles are no problem. No cost to quote the job.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I attached two small "L" brackets to the bath wall with #10 stainless screws and a nylock nut. I used rivet caps and bases to cover the screw heads in the bath. I used a 3/16" pop rivet to attach the other "L" bracket to the fiberglass wall support. On mine I made the shelf out of 3/8 plywood using a 1X2 for a front ledge and support.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
We only have a 13' Scamp, but perhaps you can adapt what we have done to yours. We use a closet hanging shoe rack and a hanging sweater rack in a closet to put shoes and clothes in. I also made a storage area using "L aluminum via 3M VHT and plywood just in front of the "bump-up" in the floor near the rear dinette.
Hope these help.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01241.jpg   IMG_0957.jpg  

IMG_0958.jpg   IMG_0963.jpg  

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #9

Name: Robin
Trailer: Boler 13'
Ontario
We found that the closet was too small to hang up clothes.
We decided to leave the bed made up in our 13 foot boler so converted the bunks to a dinette.
We then added a shower curtain rod above the bed at the foot end.
robinholtpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
We ditched the front gaucho sofa/bunk, extended the loft back a bit, and created a chest of drawers, closet with hang space, junk drawer, a laundry hamper, storage/dog kennel space and a couple of cubbies under the steps up to the loft.

It works really well for us, but it was a big project.

Click image for larger version

Name:	09Mar20 Loft Reading <a title=Lights 2 640x480.jpg Views: 18 Size: 87.4 KB ID: 67897" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	08Apr01 Pic of Closet from Loft 640x480.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	67898

Name:	07Jul12Chest of Drawers & Stairs 640x480.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	67899

Name:	07Jun26 Lex's Bedroom.jpg