Scamp air conditioners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #1

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Scamp air conditioners

So when/why did they switch from a window ac type unit to the rooftop units?
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I think you can choose one or the other...but maybe that's recent. I'd guess that if rooftop's a new option, it's due to extra reinforcement added to the roof.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
So when/why did they switch from a window ac type unit to the rooftop units?
I believe they had some problems with the closet mounted AC. It also took up some of the storage space.
You could call Kent Eveland and ask to be sure.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Prior to the Scamp fire in January 2006, if a trailer wasn't built with reinforcement in the roof.. a owner was advised to NOT put on roof A/C. It's my understanding (and I've been known to be wrong) that all trailers built after the fire are reinforced for roof A/C. It's now a choice where an owner wants the A/C rather than what the trailer "needs."

It's a big point when folks buy a prior fire Scamp and want to add roof A/C that we tell them.... okay... if you want a big sky light!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #5

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I believe they had some problems with the closet mounted AC. It also took up some of the storage space.
You could call Kent Eveland and ask to be sure.
In the mobile pet grooming industry some of the economy priced grooming vans had wall units for their AC. The problem was that these air conditioners were not designed to deal with the constant movement and bouncing about that happens in a vehicle. They are designed to be put in a stationary house window where they stay permanently. As a result, we were warned that thee wall unit manufacturers may void the warranty if the AC was used in a mobile application. My guess is that Scamp ran into the same problem.

I know that there are people using window air conditioners in their trailers without problems, and I am considering doing the same. Anyone who does so is doing an "off label" use for the product, and the manufacturer can't be held responsible if something goes wrong. In the mobile grooming industry, you don't see window airconditioners used much anymore. In a trailer, where you can buy a 5000 btu air conditioner on sale for less than $75, it makes sense that a do-it-yourselfer would figure out a way to stuff a unit like this into a trailer. On a brand new trailer, a rigged up system like that is really not appropriate.

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #6

New Jersey
Registry
Now I did do some google searches and found a post from last year, Donna put a link to 2 other prior discussions... http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ond-46232.html

but they do make a larger unit... ClimateRight - CR-7000 Max

But the price is probably the same as a roof top unit. I have looked at some new smaller stick built trailers and they are useing window ac units... its a shame they stopped building them in because it keeps the clean lines of the scamp

deryk
Old 12-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
In the mobile pet grooming industry some of the economy priced grooming vans had wall units for their AC. The problem was that these air conditioners were not designed to deal with the constant movement and bouncing about that happens in a vehicle. They are designed to be put in a stationary house window where they stay permanently. As a result, we were warned that thee wall unit manufacturers may void the warranty if the AC was used in a mobile application. My guess is that Scamp ran into the same problem.
I know that there are people using window air conditioners in their trailers without problems, and I am considering doing the same. Anyone who does so is doing an "off label" use for the product, and the manufacturer can't be held responsible if something goes wrong. In the mobile grooming industry, you don't see window airconditioners used much anymore. In a trailer, where you can buy a 5000 btu air conditioner on sale for less than $75, it makes sense that a do-it-yourselfer would figure out a way to stuff a unit like this into a trailer. On a brand new trailer, a rigged up system like that is really not appropriate.

Derek
Interesting!

I wonder if the folks at Lil Snoozy know that- I think wall mount is the only way they offer A/C on their trailer...

And I think Parkliner's using them, too!

Francesca
Old 12-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #8

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Interesting!

I wonder if the folks at Lil Snoozy know that- I think wall mount is the only way they offer A/C on their trailer...

And I think Parkliner's using them, too!

Francesca
Just because it can be done (and sometimes is done) doesn't mean it should be done.

Derek
Old 12-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
Just because it can be done (and sometimes is done) doesn't mean it should be done.

Derek
Don't get me wrong, Derek- I agree with you 100%! I think windowbox-air is a bad idea on any RV...

I will say that I think that of the two I mentioned that use them, Parkliner's under-bench placement looks a lot more solid than the Snoozy's in-the-upper-back-wall arrangement, though.

Francesca
Old 12-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #10

New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, Derek- I agree with you 100%! I think windowbox-air is a bad idea on any RV...

I will say that I think that of the two I mentioned that use them, Parkliner's under-bench placement looks a lot more solid than the Snoozy's in-the-upper-back-wall arrangement, though.

Francesca
And snoozy's is unsupported... but who knows...some people seem to think its running fine in theirs.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
And snoozy's is unsupported... but who knows...some people seem to think its running fine in theirs.
So far....

Francesca
Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #12

Ontario
Registry
I'm sure the airflow is better with the ac up higher. If its up high, mechanically supporting the unit becomes an issue. Its all a matter of compromises.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #13

New Jersey
Registry
yeah mounting an ac unit on the floor isnt the wisest of plans... cold air descends like hot air rises. I learned a lesson on the first boat i lived on, didn't have a great spot to mount the heater except above the settee couch...well let me tell ya about how cold the lower 2.5 feet of the cabin was lol. Next time it got installed on the floor and problem was solved lol.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Prior to the Scamp fire in January 2006, if a trailer wasn't built with reinforcement in the roof.. a owner was advised to NOT put on roof A/C. It's my understanding (and I've been known to be wrong) that all trailers built after the fire are reinforced for roof A/C. It's now a choice where an owner wants the A/C rather than what the trailer "needs."

It's a big point when folks buy a prior fire Scamp and want to add roof A/C that we tell them.... okay... if you want a big sky light!
The thirteen is the one which requires manufacturing prep to be supplied with factory A/C, (before and after the fire).

//////////
And now for a couple of guesses...
Rooftop A/C has been offered since the late eighties, maybe earlier.
The window A/C is no longer a factory option, not since the sometime in the ninties.
Roof A/C on the thirteen was once offered by adding wood crossmembers, newer Scamp 13 A/C prep involves additional fiberglas thickness in the roof and AC wiring under the ratfur.
No research involved in this part of my response, only observation and discussion.
Here is a picture of a the high mounted A/C which i installed on my 1973 LoveBug, It worked great in this location and was solid.
I would consider above the rear window if I did it again, using the smaller 33# Frididaire unit.
Attached Thumbnails
06_30_3.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
I think you can choose one or the other...but maybe that's recent.
The Scamp options web page shows rooftop as optional in all three sizes, and no other A/C choice available. It does not offer explanations or history.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #16

Name: Chris
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
This is from the FAQ section from the scamp website:

Scamp Trailers - Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Can roof air conditioners be added to older Scamp trailers?

A. All 5th wheel Scamps can use roof air conditioners. Older 5th wheels may require the oak reinforcement supports (can be purchased from the Scamp parts department). On most 16 foot Scamps from the year 2000 the roof has been supported for the roof air. On 16 foot Scamps prior to this year most didn’t have the roof air support. To check for support find the 120 volt wire tucked behind the fabric strip. This wire will be on the same side of the trailer as the 120 panel with the circuit breakers. Any trailers with the wire and support in the roof can have the roof air added. Thirteen foot Scamp trailers don’t have the roof air support unless there is already a roof air installed or if the original buyer requested that the trailer be built that way. Also most trailers with a power vent in the roof air spot won’t have supported roofs. Most 16 and 13 foot trailers prior to 2000 used a side air conditioner in the lower part of the closet by the door. This air conditioner is no longer available.
(2/19/2008 7:19:51 AM)
chse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp