Scamp bathroom door resizing help ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #1

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Scamp bathroom door resizing help ?

Although our 2002 Scamp 5er is in great shape our bathroom door needs a little TLC. It appears to be catching at the bottom in the center of the door. I have checked everything around it and nothing has moved or come loose. Now since these doors appear to be made from compressed material (Just Guessing??) I wonder if I mark and remove the door and resize with a skil saw if it will stay together or maybe start coming apart. Has anyone done this before, or should I just order a new door? Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I replaced my door with plywood the same time I replaced all the cabinet doors(was able to get all doors out of one sheet of 1/2" birch plywood). I also replaced the hinges with a piano hinge the full length of the door. Works great.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #3

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
It depends on the blade you use. Some skil saw blades are pretty harsh. Use one with lots of teeth.

What's most important is that you seal the cut afterwards. An exposed edge will soak up moisture and swell, creating another problem.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:59 AM   #4

Name: George
Trailer: 16' Scamp SD, TV: Tacoma 4cyl
Northern Wisconsin
The door is probably made of malimine as their cabinet doors are, it can be cut with a saw, the cut edge must be sealed with at least 3 coats of sealer. If you do it with a skillsaw use a guide clamped to the door for a perfectly straight cut. If you want to replace it, malimine can be purchased at your local home improvement store in various colors and patterns/woodgrains.
George Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Can you just sand down the high spot then reseal? Just a tiny bit is enough for a door to bind. If you're careful, you could probably do it with the door hanging.

I'm lazy
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you have to cut with a saw what works for me is to draw the line then cut the line with a razor knife using a straight edge. best on both sides then run you saw cut up next to the razor cut line. any chipping, splintering or peeling will stop at the razor line. If you miss a little then sand it up to the razor line. it takes longer this way but will insure a nice edge.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Tore my door off and replaced with curtain
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Can you just sand down the high spot then reseal? Just a tiny bit is enough for a door to bind. If you're careful, you could probably do it with the door hanging.

I'm lazy
LOL Donna, sanding down the high spot was my first thought as well...must be a girl thing.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL Donna, sanding down the high spot was my first thought as well...must be a girl thing.
yeppers. I'd sit on the floor with a palm sander and have at it. Then have a glass of wine afterward!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #10

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Yea sanding down is probably the way to go. We just cleaned the 5er from top to bottom and I' hate to get the dust everywhere like I know it will. I might just mark it and take the door down to avoid the mess. I just didn't know if the door would start coming apart. But I guess sealing it is the thing to do.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:30 AM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: in the market
Ontario
Not just a girl thing, sawing will chip the edge. sanding removes less material and will finish better, it's slower but the results will be better.
pauly42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp