Scamp Bed cover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #1

Name: elmo
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
North Carolina
Scamp Bed cover

I recently purchased a new 13 ft Scamp, and while I was using it for the first time, I discovered that I didn't care for the way a conventional sheet fit on the cushions. When I got back, I had a friend make a custom fitted sheet for me, but she made it a little too large, and as a result it fits too loosely. Even if it did fit perfectly it would be a little too cumbersome to make up the bed. The four cushions and the round corners make the bed making process a little too difficult for me. I am wondering if other Scamp owners have some better ideas for me to consider. My goal is to make the bed as close as possible to the way I would make my bed in my home. I want to make the Scamp bed before bed time and tear it down in the mornings each day, making it possible to use the table as intended. I look forward to hearing from you, and I will appreciate each and every suggestion.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I believe that you have hit one of the major problems with small travel trailer usage. That is trying to make the same as home, it's not. Therefore what I have tried to do is to make it as easy as possible. The bed always seems to be an issue for many. My solution is to simply use sleeping bags. Makes it quite simple and easy. Put the cushions in place for the bed, lay out the sleeping bags and pillows. In the morning stuff, notice I'm not rolling or folding, simply stuffing the sleeping bags into stuff bags. Once in the they are stowed away under the street side dinette seat the table is set up for breakfast. It takes about two minutes to make the change.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I have a RV sleeping bag with attached sheets. One side of the comforter is for winter the other side is summer with removable sheets. I bought my on sale @ some place on the internet but you can probably find them on Ebay also I'm sure. If you pay full price they are expensive, so wait until someone has a sale. Here is a link that tells about them.Full/Queen SuperBag by RV SuperBag
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bed making Perfection

My goal is to make the bed as close as possible to the way I would make my bed in my home. I want to make the Scamp bed before bed time and tear it down in the mornings each day,

We used to leave the bed set up continuously and that required making the bed like home.

Now we make it up each night and set the table up for the day and that requires making the bed for function and not appearance.

A simple intermediat state is to use something like a sleep sack with built in/removable sheets.

I make up our bed differently depending on the weather. We set up the cushions and add a 1.5 inch memory foam on top.

We use a loosely form fitting sheet, a top sheet, an electric blanket and sometimes a quilt.

I tuck in the fitted sheet on each edge, not worrying too much about the look and the top sheet at the foot of the bed only. The e-blanket and quilt simply lie on top with no tucking.

Not exactly pretty but once we make it we get in it and it all works well.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #5

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Just brainstorming here, but could you take the custom-made sheet and fit it snugly to a 1-1.5" memory foam topper cut to the shape of the bed, and bring that out each night already made, flop it on the bed, then fold it and stow it away under the dinette bench seat each morning. Sheet could still be removed at trip's end to wash.
You could also sew the bottom edge of the flat sheet to the bottom edge of the fitted sheet if you like to use both sheets. Personally, I like my goose down comforter with a duvet cover for the top.
Just a thought.

And welcome to the forum!
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #6

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Sleeping bags-only way to go. For most travels, I use a lightweight cloth one that I can throw in the washer when I get home.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #7

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
I love the idea of the RV Bag!! whether I can afford the RV bag right now....next year maybe! They need to make an optional goose down duvet attachment, that would win people like me for sure.
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I'm not a huge fan of sleeping bags or travasaks in trailers, but they make great sense in the situation where you tear down the bed and set up the table each day, or tent or cabin camping.
If you don't want to invest in the travasak system for the first year, you might want to look at "silk" and fake silk sleep sacks on ebay, and a comforter above and below. It will be surprisingly warm, and if you watch closely, can be purchased for ten or twenty bucks each. The sleep sacks come in "oversize" widths for a few bucks more, and are really worth the wiggle room. We used them when cabin camping. They stuff into a bag the size of a man's fist when not in use, and weigh almost nothing.

In cooler spring/fall/winter camping, a $10 fleece sleeping bag liner from the big box sporting goods store, with down comforter above, (or inside a midweight sleeping bag), is really nice. The fleece bag itself is enough in a heated trailer, and adds about ten degrees to the midweight sleeping bag with no or little trailer heat. And, it's easily stowable, and washes up easily when you get home. Rolled up and stuffed, the twin size bags are smaller than a soccer ball, and quite light.
That said, I'm really fond of my permanent bed, firm cushions on the bottom, fake down featherbed, and sheets and comforter. I, too, like a real bed feel, but tear down in the morning would be ridiculous. I store the featherbed on the guest bed at home, off season, and my guests love it.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomni View Post
I love the idea of the RV Bag!! whether I can afford the RV bag right now....next year maybe! They need to make an optional goose down duvet attachment, that would win people like me for sure.
We really love this RV Bag, and the wife told me we got it on Ebay for 70.00 some dollars. The nicest part of it , is the sheets are attached. When they need washing, pull them out, then just put them back in (velcro) . Nice and easy unlike some things that go with camping.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #10

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Thanks for the info Tim, it looks like a perfect solution for us anyways. I will most definitely check eBay for a better price, my hubby noted that I could easily just throw the duvet over top, too. We are still rebuilding our boler, but our initial plan is to take down the bed each day, so I want something easy. Thanks again!
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #11

No problem. I actually got the idea from a Truck Camper forum, when we had a Truck Camper. There are quite a few that use these RV Bag/Travasaks, we have enjoyed ours.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
Just brainstorming here, but could you take the custom-made sheet and fit it snugly to a 1-1.5" memory foam topper cut to the shape of the bed, and bring that out each night already made, flop it on the bed, then fold it and stow it away under the dinette bench seat each morning. Sheet could still be removed at trip's end to wash.
You could also sew the bottom edge of the flat sheet to the bottom edge of the fitted sheet if you like to use both sheets. Personally, I like my goose down comforter with a duvet cover for the top.
Just a thought.

And welcome to the forum!
I can't post pictures because some lowlife spiked my computer and it is in the shop at least until Tuesday.
Here's your brainstorm come true, plus a custom made fitted sheet...
This is my folder over at Scampers... look through the pictures to find several of our quilted memory foam topper and it's fitted sheet which pretty much unfolds itself to make the bed... works great.

http://tinyurl.com/crglwbp
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #13

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Aaahh, Floyd!! Great minds think alike, fools seldom differ...as my dear sweet mother used to say.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
Aaahh, Floyd!! Great minds think alike, fools seldom differ...as my dear sweet mother used to say.
I beg to differ
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I don't know the bed size, but we use a king-sized fitted sheet for the bottom sheet. That gives us the added size we need to tuck it around the memory foam and the seat cushions that we have on the bed. Before we bought a king-sized sheet bottom, it was tough to get the sheet around the memory foam without the sheet, and the foam often also, popping up.

CindyL
CindyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler 1984
We picked up some printed sheets at Wally World when they were on sale and my wife made a fitted bottom sheet and matching top sheet and pillow case. She had enough left over to make the matching curtians. The comforter was also on sale at the same time. Sheets, pillow cases, curtians and comforter came to less than $30.
Attached Thumbnails
864 (640x480).jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp