Scamp/boler cushions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2017, 06:09 AM   #1

Name: Vee
Trailer: boler
Nova Scotia
Scamp/boler cushions

Hello all!

I know this has been Covered abit in the past.

I've got a '72 boler that needs new cusions and covers. The cheapest/easiest option we've found are the scamp cushions. There was mention of a member who replaced all foams and covers and was Satisfied.

Who has experience with these and what was the fit like?

*i did more digging through the forums and answered most of my questions. (Funny how that works-I'm a noob)
I dont imagine they've done any major design changes to the seats in the last few years. Other then I can no longer order the funky plaid that I saw others had.

Thanks for bearing with me.
Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #2

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
Hello all!

I know this has been Covered abit in the past.

I've got a '72 boler that needs new cusions and covers. The cheapest/easiest option we've found are the scamp cushions. There was mention of a member who replaced all foams and covers and was Satisfied.

Who has experience with these and what was the fit like?

*i did more digging through the forums and answered most of my questions. (Funny how that works-I'm a noob)
I dont imagine they've done any major design changes to the seats in the last few years. Other then I can no longer order the funky plaid that I saw others had.

Thanks for bearing with me.

This is from an email I received from Scamp on Aug 21, 2017...

"As far as the cushions go, nothing changed on our trailer layout. What we did was fine-tune the cushion itself in 2006, hence Old Style and New Style.
We do not guarantee either will fit your Boler, but both should work and we have had positive feedback from Boler owners using out Old Style cushions and covers.

In 2006 the one major change to our trailers was the added height to the 13ft.
--
Thanks,
Parts Dept.
"

My assumption regarding the "fine tuning" would likely explain the "funky plaid" no longer being available lol

you may wish to look at this thread as well, http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-80720.html

Its where I started asking the same questions.

Humpty
Humpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #3

Nova Scotia
Thanks Humpty!

That is very helpful! My folks are going to pick up the cushion set from scamp in a couple of weeks. I'll post back with the fit.

Cheers!
Old 09-06-2017, 05:37 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm now wondering what the "fine-tuning" means. I don't think it has anything to do with the height increase, since the same cushions are used on the 16'ers, which were already taller. The fabrics have changed regularly over the years.

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #5

Manitoba
Quote:
Thanks Humpty!

That is very helpful! My folks are going to pick up the cushion set from scamp in a couple of weeks. I'll post back with the fit.

Cheers!
Your timing is good, with the Bank of Canada's interest rate change pushing the dollar in a more favourable direction against the US$

Looking forward to your review.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #6

Nova Scotia
Excellent!

Anything else to consider buying since they'll be right at the scamp store?
Old 09-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #7

Manitoba
Quote:
Excellent!

Anything else to consider buying since they'll be right at the scamp store?
Guess that depends on what you need, and what's available to you locally. Check their parts store on the website, there are a number of scamp/boler specific parts there if you need replacements.

You may want to call them in advance, not kmowing where your folks are driving from... hate to see them make a long trip and scamp not have the product available when they arrived.

Cheers
Old 09-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #8

Nova Scotia
Thanks Humpty!

It's about a 10 hour drive for them from Saskatchewan. They called ahead today with a list of things and the rep said they'd have it all bundled up and ready for them when they arrive.

My dad asked about the cushion fit for a boler and the fellow on the phone said they aren't perfect but they match up pretty well...so with that I will let you know in a couple weeks what that actually means.

Vee
Old 09-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #9

Nova Scotia
Well, my folks brought my boler with them to the scamp store. This was its first trip since I bought it a couple months ago after it sat in a field since 1984!

I haven't seen the cushions in person yet but my dad sent a few photos. They look great! They look like they fit good. My dad didn't notice much difference in the fitment other then they're a million times better then what we had. The scamp store reps installed them free of charge and were very helpful and friendly.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #10

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Boler cushions

Yikes! Sat in a field all that time?! Check the frame very carefully for corrosion issues...
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #11

Nova Scotia
Saskatchewan is very dry! Not like the east coast where I currently live. It's been checked over by a mechanic thoroughly. My dad is a welder and has also looked it over and of course installed new tires and bearings and stuff.

Its in amazingly good shape, all original and pretty clean. A few little things to look at but mostly cosmetic things like changing the curtains and cushions.

Cheers!
Old 10-21-2017, 09:14 PM   #12

Name: mensie
Alberta
Quote:
Well, my folks brought my boler with them to the scamp store. This was its first trip since I bought it a couple months ago after it sat in a field since 1984!

I haven't seen the cushions in person yet but my dad sent a few photos. They look great! They look like they fit good. My dad didn't notice much difference in the fitment other then they're a million times better then what we had. The scamp store reps installed them free of charge and were very helpful and friendly.
We are needing new cushions as well, since ours are mouse pee stained and just not usable anymore since our little egg was sitting in the pasture for 15 years.

We are thinking just ordering from scamp as well and have them delivered to Billings Montana since we are going there in December.

So Wanderlust did you buy just the covers or covers and foam.
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:49 AM   #13

Nova Scotia
Hi mensie,

I bought the foam and covers.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #14

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Scamp/boler cushions

Mensie,

If you get only the covers, you might be able to get a local foam/upholstery shop to create custom foam sandwiches to put inside the covers.

Foam that is dense enough for sitting can be much too dense/hard for comfortable sleeping.

Our local foam shop helped us discard new harder Scamp foam and replaced it with 3 layers of foam that they glued together and cut to size. We used 1" of medium density (N36) foam glued to the top and bottom of 2" of higher density (N44) foam. The result is/was cushions that are more comfortable for sleeping and still firm enough for sitting.

Your foam densities and thicknesses may be altered to suit your personal needs and comfort. It's the 3-layer foam sandwich technique that is important.

Just something to consider.
Of course YMMV. [emoji6]

Good luck! [emoji4]

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #15

Name: mensie
Alberta
Thanks Rdickens, never thought of doing it that way.
And it is of course more expensive and bulkier to ship full foam instead of just covers.
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #16

Manitoba
Quote:
I dont imagine they've done any major design changes to the seats in the last few years. Other then I can no longer order the funky plaid that I saw others had. ...

Sorry for adding to such an old thread, but i thought it relevant ...
I've STILL not got around to updating my cushions, and thats likely worked in my favour, I made this discovery just today. A near perfect match to my funky old '74 fabric.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bolerfabric.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	476.4 KB
ID:	130411

Top is original, bottom is new fabric. Not quite as strong a print, but enough to keep true to the vintage look.

Tags
scamp, boler