Scamp Carpet? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #29

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I would (and am) looking at Allure flooring, overlapping strips that adhere to each other. Even with some of the more premium colors/styles it is only about $60 for 2 boxes and it does not take much over 1 box to do the whole floor. Looks like wood plank flooring but vinyl.

No adhesive to apply or stuck to the floor. If I am very careful with my cutting not much trim needed either. Possibly a thin bead of white caulk to seam between floor and white FG edges.

I figure if I mess up a strip by cutting it a little off I might be able to use it elsewhere on the floor layout AND I really hate myself when I'm working with a big sheet of vinyl and cut an "oops". Strips I will only be annoyed with myself. And then all happy when I find a place I can use the self generated scrap.

But then I'm not much into camping with carpeting, like vinyl surface and throw rugs more. HD sells a carpet made for around pools that is very durable, short dense loop. Used that in the basement, should be able to broom that to some semblance of clean without much trouble.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:31 PM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16, 2013 VW Tiguan SEL
Colorado
Thanks, Batdude, for reminding us of the hazards of synthetic flooring materials. I'd take that seriously in a trailer, a small space where I may sleep and eat with most windows closed. I know that the fiberglass shell and liner may have their own outgassing issues, but those materials were manufactured three decades ago, in my Scamp's case, so they must be close to stability by now. I would rule out laminate woods (but not engineered woods), vinyl sheet and rubber mats, which really smell evil.

I've been thinking about reflooring my trailer with some scrap Maple flooring I have, but it would add 100-200 lbs with the plywood underlayment. Weight is another consideration for us. Flagstone, anyone?

Old 05-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #31

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Registry
Wow I just read some of the comments posted in this thread and wonder if some people should go and live in a bubble somewhere, but then the bubble is probably made from Plastic and would off gas too. There is no product out there that will not off gas in some form, so if you must replace something I guess you should go to the store and smell each product and see if you can live with it?
Old 05-02-2015, 08:47 AM   #32

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Registry
I've always favored Mexican Tile...but, I guess I'd have to buy a larger truck to pull my 13' Scamp!

All this discussion about gas vapers, etc., reminds me of a man whom I use to work with in the Federal Government. He was a very nice guy, and a good worker.

However, he had a very strong fear of germs. This fear controlled his daily life, and got to the point that he wouldn't open a closed door, but would stand by the door until someone came along and opened it! He just couldn't bring his self to touch the germ covered door knob!

When eating at our cafeteria, he would hold a bread roll pinched between two fingers, then discard the tiny bit of bread where his fingers had been holding the roll, because the tips his fingers might have picked up some germs since he washed his hands a few minute before.

He had a very lovely and nice wife. Needless to say, how they managed the aspects of the physical romantic side of their life was a topic of discussion!

Please believe me, I'm not making fun of his illness, because it was a serious illness!

Bill
Old 05-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #33

Colorado
Bill, you may know that there's solid science saying that normal exposure to germs will strengthen the immune system, especially among growing children. But there's no evidence that the same is true with mercury, formaldehyde and other nasty compounds present in vinyl and rubber flooring materials. I don't go camping to smell that stuff, and I don't trust its health effects, either. That doesn't make me a "boy in the bubble," but it does help me winnow through the many flooring choices available.

So I'd favor natural materials like cork or engineered hardwood if I ever get around to sprucing up my old Scamp. If your preferences are different, I'll try not to make fun of you, too.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #34

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Registry
Well, I don't believe I expressed a preference pertaining to flooring.

I did state i most likely use epoxy, latex paint, and carpet. But, I don't recall making fun of anyone about their preferences.

I do have the strange belief that ALL of us are going to die sooner or later! So don't worry too much about the small stuff, and enjoy the time you have left!

There will always be people with different degrees of concern about everything in this world!

Bill
Old 05-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #35

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Some threads I don't respond to, but this one has peaked my interest.

There are folks concerned about the long term affects to stuff that outgasses. And there are others that have severe allergies to odors. I work with people in the later. I'm always cognizent of smells/odors and try to pay attention. Certain smells give my co-workers raging headaches. So while smells/odors/outgassing may not bother you... it may make others ill. Be kind.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:02 PM   #36

Colorado
Call it aesthetics, that makes more sense to the safety issue. Last night while I was studying up on reflooring options, somebody had made a good case for the tough, cheap, resilient rubber mat squares sold for exercise rooms, pool walkways, and the like. It sounded like a nice idea, until I got to Batdude's post. Can you imagine the smell inside a closed trailer on a hot day, with a fresh rubber floor baking inside for weeks?
Old 05-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #37

Name: Hidalga
Trailer: Modified 13' Scamp
Full-Timer
No smell on the floor/ bottom end either...all looking and smelling good on my end. Can't experience what others are complaining about with their composite choices...
I went with Bruce flooring & 1 year into it without complaints. It's an easy enough medium to change if it becomes an issue.
Again, we can talk privately if you choose laminate T&G method...
You have my handle.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #38

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Fair weather weekenders, Donna D.
Where have you been? So far, I've been out camping every month this year. Most of it in the rain. Walking on wet carpet in socks or bare feet isn't pleasant. At least with a vinyl floor I can wipe up the water. Different strokes for different folks.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #39

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Back in the day to provide a waterproof liner under bathtubs or showers they used thin sheet lead which could be formed and soldered into a water tight barrier. Now we tend to use vinyl but I think I know where you can pick up some of that sheet lead. Zero off gassing but will add a bit to the tow weight ;-)

People do have different sensitivity to chemicals, for me opening some windows, running a fan on some hot sunny days tends to clear up the worst of it from synthetic products. It tends to be cooler in the evening when I'm sleeping inside than on the hot day so once the "easy" stuff is been baked off I have never noticed a problem.

The chemical they use to clean/sanitize feather pillows in motels on the other hand will make it so I wake up in the morning looking like I spent the night getting dosed with pepper spray and mace. Nose running and eyes watering and bloodshot. It is not feathers or down, I have down items, even a down sleeping bag for many years.

But rebel that I am I will drink water from a plastic bottle that has been sitting in a hot car. Figuring the semi-truck that hauls any bottled water and the warehouse where it was stored probably pretty warm anyway. I will not however drink grape Kool-Aid from an aluminum canteen.... it tastes awful.

Tags
scamp