Scamp door... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #21

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
#1 #2 hinge

so Miss Donna, is the #1 hinge on the top or bottm
and where are the numbers on the hinge

Thanks
sugermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oh my stars. Wish I could tell you. I've never needed to replace the hinges on my Scamp, I was just parroting information I've read here on the forums.

Unless someone answers up, perhaps your very best info would be to call the Scamp parts department...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:27 PM   #23

Name: Nick
Trailer: Scamp
Maryland
Crooked Door

I'm following this thread, I've got a similar issue on my "new" '83
nickzanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #24

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
rogerdat standing inside looking out the door I notice a crack in the right side of the door at the bottom when the door is closed. I have tried weather stripping helps some. I have ians hinge repair kit will this close this gap? do you think?

I hate to work on this I am not good at geometry

thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #25

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand View Post
New to the scamp (1976), found online through this site and fell in love at first sight. I am having a couple of difficulties...1. The door hangs a bit cock-eyed. Unsure if you can tighten the hinges or would they have to be replaced...any help would be great!
most commonly the hinges wear and make the pin holes oblong.
One simple fix is to remove one hinge pin at a time with the door closed.
drill the hinge out (including the ball) to 11/32 or until round again. Replace the hinge pin with a 5/16 stainless steel shoulder bolt short spring and a Nylock nut. Then do the other hinge, no need to remove the hinge from the door or the trailer.
This will usually restore the door to its original attitude.

THE SCARY PART....
Look under the trailer at the tray part of the frame to be sure that the floor tray material is not rusted out allowing the frame to settle at the doorway.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #26

Missouri
good ideas floyd

I think ians hinge repair kits solves some of things you mentioned i can move the door at the hinges so i know something isn't just right. we have had rain here today and again tomorrow.

weds. is trouting trip but instead of fishing all day we are cutting off at 12pm so while the barb coals are getting started I may take a look.

trouts have priority over everything here

thanks

bob
Old 03-26-2018, 02:33 PM   #27

Missouri
oh i forgtot to mention the door at the bottom is in good shape

bob
Old 03-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #28

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I think ians hinge repair kits solves some of things you mentioned i can move the door at the hinges so i know something isn't just right. we have had rain here today and again tomorrow.

weds. is trouting trip but instead of fishing all day we are cutting off at 12pm so while the barb coals are getting started I may take a look.

trouts have priority over everything here

thanks

bob
Actually, the hinge casting tends to wear more than the bolt, so drilling it makes a better repair... Short of replacement.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:45 PM   #29

Missouri
our door

actually looking at that picture there is something wrong for sure. ours has a little opening at the bottom our biggest problem is the door striker doesn't match the latch.

in looking at the door it needs to be adjusted up which if I can figure this out will help adjust out the gap at the bottom and get the striker back on track with the latch.

I hope either Floyd or Ian can pitch in before I start messing around I have Ians repair kit by the way. this is going to be a geometric problem and there are a whole bunch of things that are going to have to be contended with some of which worry me. there is a very good chance I can make it worse!

also my bottom hinge is installed at an angle why I don't know but I think it is factory that way.

bob

Tags
scamp