Scamp Entry step options? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
Scamp Entry step options?

We did not order the step option for our new Scamp. Now, having camped for a few weeks and using an old small (too small) wooden stool as a step, we wonder how well,the Scamp factory one works. Or, what other solutions you have tried.

I plan to add a handle inside the entry to assist entering.

David
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #2

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Thinking best move is make your own.
Attached Thumbnails
step-1.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
This is what I use. Aluminum Folding Step - Stromberg Carlson PA-100 - Steps - Camping World
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 10-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #4

Name: Jim
Colorado
Registry
Myron,

My first reaction to your step was that this guy is not clear on the concept of steps, they whould be at different levels!

Then I studied it further and realized it has two great features to it. Since it is at the same level as the step, it makes it easier to step down onto it and not have to focus on trying to step onto the much more narrow camper step. More like stepping onto a deck or something.

The other feature I like is that it supports the camper step so that when one person steps up into the camper, it keeps the camper from jerking down and irritating others already in the camper.

Very clever concept and design!
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #5

New Mexico
Registry
Exactly right, Scamper Jim. The built in step on our Escape is handy, absolutely necessary, convenient, but so narrow it's function meets the bare minimum requirements and nothing more. If like us you got walking issues using the thing can actually be risky. The topper however, was on our last trip when old Ben, our 70 pound mix, caught a too-long, curved toenail in one of the step holes and ripped it off! Making an auxillary step extension "bench" became an immediate priority.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Leski View Post
Thinking best move is make your own.

And having the white trim on that red step makes it much easier to spot the corner of the step even in the dark of the moon! I like it
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Leski View Post
Exactly right, Scamper Jim. The built in step on our Escape is handy, absolutely necessary, convenient, but so narrow it's function meets the bare minimum requirements and nothing more. If like us you got walking issues using the thing can actually be risky. The topper however, was on our last trip when old Ben, our 70 pound mix, caught a too-long, curved toenail in one of the step holes and ripped it off! Making an auxillary step extension "bench" became an immediate priority.
Myron, I love your step! We don't have one at all, not even the topper. With a front amputee dog, a step would be a nice addition to our Scamp but i have worried that most are too small for her. Any direction or instruction you can give would be great. Seems like it would be a good winter project!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #8

New Mexico
Registry
Probably your best move is to buy one like Byron's but if you want something custom made, have access to a table saw, and are looking for a simple enough winter project I say go for it. It only takes four pieces of 3/4-inch thick plywood and a few wood screws. Everything else; size, height, angles, designed curves, number of screws, etc., is strictly up to you. Just remember the golden rule: measure twice, cut once, measure once, cut twice. Have fun. Here's a basic, quickie drawing of my step.
Attached Thumbnails
benchdraw.jpg  
Old 10-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #9

Registry
I use a big exercise step for my UHaul. I love the size of it.
Its a Gold's Gym aerobic step, ordered it online from Walmart and picked it up at the store.
Attached Thumbnails
step.jpg  
Old 10-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #10

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Here's a picture of the Aluminum step/box/tote I had a local metal shop fab up for us (well more for HER, as she is vertically challanged, LOL). It about 16" X 14", has two (cut in) carrying handles on either sides. When inverted and used as a tote, it carrys our 4 stabalizer jscks (and whatever else will fit inside). We always have it just inside the door when traveling, as it is the first item to be deployed on set-up. The guy at the metal shop wanted to add a railing to it (making it legal) when I told him I wanted to use it as a step. Then I convinced him it was to be used as a heavy duty tote and he proceeded to fab it up.

NOW, keeping it polished up seems to be the trick of the day....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1720.JPG   Copy of DSCF1720.JPG  

Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #11

Registry
Tanks for the instructions -- your work is really beautiful. I would like to buy one but so far, everything seems to small for our disabled dog. The exercise step is a good idea but might be too slippery for her. I like the combination of the attached step plus something on the ground.... I'm not a pro woodworker but if I cant purchase something, I'll give building one a go. Thanks again.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #12

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
Thanks Pam,
I was wondering what to use that thing in the closet for?
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #13

Registry
Doug, that looks like a good idea! I like have a multi-use step and I can make ig as big as we need. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
Tanks for the instructions -- your work is really beautiful. I would like to buy one but so far, everything seems to small for our disabled dog. The exercise step is a good idea but might be too slippery for her. I like the combination of the attached step plus something on the ground.... I'm not a pro woodworker but if I cant purchase something, I'll give building one a go. Thanks again.

You might consider making a small ramp. I've this done when people have dogs that have trouble getting up and down steps. Most Scamps sit pretty close to the ground so it wouldn't take a very long ramp to make it easier for your dog get in and out.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #15

Registry
That's a great idea, too, Byron. I like the ramp idea. Maybe I could make a box like Doug's but do it as a big triangle instead of a rectangle. Hmmm.... now you've all really got me thinking! My husband doesn't know it yet, but he'll thank you.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #16

Registry
Any of these step options can be slippery for a dog, but you can add a low-loop pile carpet to it for traction.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I did something similar to Dougs, but made of wood. 6" board sides, plywood top, rubber stair runner on top. Flip it upside down just inside the door with two screw type stabilizer jacks, handle for the rear stabilizers, few short boards for leveling, and a fire extinguisher inside it. Fire extinguisher sets outside next to door at campsite.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
Appreciated all the comments and descriptions of how you have managed the step for your RV! I have ordered the Scamp trailer step and will consider making an auxiliary step.
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=Steve and Rosemary;427393The exercise step is a good idea but might be too slippery for her..[/QUOTE]

If the none skid finish on it isnt enough you can by from places such as Home Depot - none skid strips (found on wood stairs) that stick on & are weather proof (or at least some are).
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #20

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
When I purchased our 2003 Scamp it had a factory installed step that had been dragged over a curb and bent back about an inch. It always hung up and was difficult to use. After 2 years of swearing at that thing I finally removed it, straightened it out, painted it and put it back on. It now is so nice to use, I can't believe I let it go for so long. It's great..
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote