Scamp Fridge Removal Ideas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #1

Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Ohio
Scamp Fridge Removal Ideas

Fridge is heavy and taking up space we need, we have yet to use it, and we prefer a cooler anyway....

anyone have pics/ideas of a fridge removal and what they built in its place for storage? Thanks...... 37 days til spring!
summer scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I pulled the non-functioning 3-Way fridge out of my Scamp and installed a 120V "Dorm" frdge I already had in the hole. Had to close things in a little and trim it out but it looks nice and I did gain space under and behind although I leave it pretty open for air flow around the back of the fridge since I closed the front off. We currently mostly camp in State Parks with hookups or go for long weekends and use a cooler so the 120V only has not been a problem. I intend to someday (maybe later this year) install a 12V fridge and get my solar up and running, but that is another day. Good luck,
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Does it work?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:47 PM   #4

Ohio
If you are asking me... It gets nice and cold when plugged in/on generator. Don't think I ever tried popane but it drained the battery two times so we went to cooler anyway. We have a generator but prefer to not use it unless necessary and prefer to boondock it anyway.
The SO didn't trust it enough to be reliable..... And wants clothes storage.... Clothes win every time

But I did keep a few things cold in there while I was rehabbin her
Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Can't help. The 3-way (which is original) in my 1988 Scamp still works well and I love it!

What's wrong with yours? Does it work at all? Electric only or propane only or not at all? When you tried was the trailer LEVEL? How long do you wait for it to cool down?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer scamp View Post
If you are asking me... It gets nice and cold when plugged in/on generator. Don't think I ever tried popane but it drained the battery two times so we went to cooler anyway. We have a generator but prefer to not use it unless necessary and prefer to boondock it anyway.
The SO didn't trust it enough to be reliable..... And wants clothes storage.... Clothes win every time

But I did keep a few things cold in there while I was rehabbin her
It seems a shame to remove a working fridge. From your post I don't think you understand when to use each option. Obviously AC is when you have electric hookups available. Propane is used when camping without hook ups. The flame looks like a pilot light and as such it will run a very long time on one tank. The DC option is only for use when traveling. Many folks do not use it because it takes away from charging your trailer battery.

Like Donna, I love my 3 way fridge. I would suggest you get someone with some experience to give you a run-through. You might change your mind.

If you still want to remove it, you will need to safely deal with the gas line and the electrical connections. Actual removal involves a few screws. Once they are gone the fridge will slide into the trailer and in most cases, out the door. Finally you will have the vent holes to deal with. There is most likely an installation manual in the document center. If not, try the manufacturer's (Dometic?) web site. A new three way fridge, installed, is upwards of $1000. Selling a used one, a few hundred tops. Then there's the hit on the resale value...... I suspect most folks here will suggest you give it a try first. Take care, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #7

Ohio
Ya, I figured that would be most of the advice - to not remove it. But we've talked about it a ton.... used it the first 2 days of our 20 day road trip last year but haven't touched it since (even when we have plugged in) - and resale really doesn't matter to us since Carmen will be with us for the foreseeable future so we need to make her work for us.
I guess I'll post some pics once I design and build storage there... I've tried every search I can think of and can't find any pics of anyone building something in its spot. Thanks
Old 02-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #8

Trailer: Compact ll
Registry
3-way frig

Took out the old (92 ) 3-way, gave it away to a nice couple in Canada, we replaced it with an Ice-box from Scamp, used it that way for a few years, but as we travel-we tinker and now the ice box is a cool food storage box, and we fit a cooler in the back of the pick-up truck, add ice every few days or so. Cold ddrinks have their own cooler, but we buy cold drinks on the road. Actually short term canping here in Montana is all abopuit cool nights or staying at the lake or Forest service spots, not so hot as other parts of America, Set up the chairs and read a book ! Wade
R. Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #9

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
I'm not familiar with your Scamp, but I bet it's similar to my Trillium: when I replaced the fridge, the new one was smaller overall than what was removed. What I did was to build a plywood box the same size as the old unit, then glassed it in place. That shrunk the hole just enough to slide the new unit in.

Sorry, some of that ain't relevant, but what I mean to say is slide out your fridge, build a plywood cube of matching dimensions, and simply put it back in the same hole. Add a door and some shelves, you're in business.

With some forethought, and safely dealing with the disconnected gas line and wiring, the mod would also be easily reversible should you decide to resell. Just clean up the old fridge, pack it up and store it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #10

Georgia
Sorry, I can't figure out how to point you to the thread, but here's a screenshot from page 8

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1423768536.801274.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	80394

Old 02-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #11

Ohio
The box idea was definitely one rolling around in my head. Thanks for the pic!
..... how did you deal with the opening to the outside that is behind that box (assuming there is an exterior access panel on yours???)
Old 02-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #12

Georgia
My box doesn't have a back, it goes straight thru to the outside wall and is fiberglassed to the outside wall of the shell. Because there is combustion happening at the rear of the fridge, it must be isolated from the living space. (That panel you see inside the box in the above pic was just a plug to keep it square during installation)

If you build the box the same depth as the fridge, and include a back panel, it should come right to the outside vent and access covers. Just seal and paint the outside end of your box for exterior exposure and leave the outside panels as they are (covering the holes and your new cabinet). From outside the camper you won't be able to see any modifications.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #13

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
We removed ours also. It was rusty and stinky. We use the space for a porta-potty now which at our age is much more of a necessity than cold beers! We constructed a door out of 2X2's, faced it with plywood, and then glued a mirror to it! Now we just use a large Igloo cooler in place of the fridge. Also removed the old stove top and replaced it with a wooden cutting board held in place by Velcro strips. Adds counter space, and we do all of our cooking outdoors now
Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #14

Ohio
Thanks for the info! Happen to have a pic?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #15

Yes, if you go tot he top where it says GALLERY, then scroll down to VIEW MORE, and then down to Tote N Tarry, you'll see a photo of our trailer where we removed the fridge and placed the porta-potty inside. I think this was before we constructed the door. If you can't find it, then I'll try to make a copy and attach it to a message here.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #16

As you can see, once you remove the fridge, there is a lot of room for storage or anything else you can think of. This was before the door and port hole additions. Filbert
Attached Thumbnails
POTTTY.jpg  
Old 02-19-2015, 11:27 PM   #17

Ohio
Yep, I'll have a bit more room since fridge is not under stove - it's next to it. ( and sink is on opposite side). Probably come up with some sort of shelving and some sort of storage accessed by refrigerator vents.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:07 PM   #18

Ohio
Well finally got her back in the garage to prep for summer and here's where the fridge stands:

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432079858.236594.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	84120

I was amazed how easy it disconnected and slipped out!

Left with this:

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432079916.989320.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	84124

Sealed up old fridge vents and put insulation board up:

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432079954.857671.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	84127

Designed and built storage that would also have storage for that awkward skinny door next to the fridge hole:

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432080058.268109.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	84129Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432080070.285645.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	84130

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432080084.504201.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	84131

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432080104.688945.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	84132

Built it in two pieces- the bottom 'tray' box slipped in and sits at the same height as the wheel well so the box and shelves above it sit level.

Just need to trim it all out, add shelf lips, and add a bungee across the openings..... The SO gets her more storage and I was even able to recycle the working fridge to a forum member.... Good deal all around

Old 05-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #19

Ohio
..... And 'the new guy' already loves helping out.... Sorta

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432080611.197347.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	84133

Scout. 3.5 months (silver lab)

Old 05-20-2015, 06:29 AM   #20

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
That looks sweet and that extra storage will come in handy. I just put a new fridge in as the old one was not working. What a job! I thought about the simplicity of a good cooler, but a lot of the places we go ice isn't easily available. I like going off grid, and with a tank of propane, getting ice is a thing of the past. the mew fridge doesn't make ice, but we've pretty much learned to like drinking cold water (and an occasional cold beer or glass of wine) instead of just about anything else.

I really like the look of that floor!

Take Care,
Steve
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, scamp